Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Hugo Awards Read-A-Long?

I am determined to read all of this year's Hugo award nominees before Worldcon starts on 2Sep2010 because... well, because I'm bored and want to have a "goal" of some sort

Anyone else like to join in? This year's batch look pretty cool and a lot of it has been put online by the authors/publishers.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I might be in for that, depending on how much is DRMed that I'd have to pay for, as I'm trying to keep that to only books I really want to read. Any linkage for where I can find the books to see what $$ would be?
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Books on the Knob has a post with a full list of Hugo Award nominations and prices/freebie links, if applicable.

Also, if you spend about $50 US/$70 AUS, you can get all the stuff in a single package directly from the Hugo committee, mostly in PDF format, and have voting privileges to boot. But apparently they're kind of slow in processing things.

ETA: Huh. It's also $50 CAD for Canadians. Awesome. I was wavering, but for this price and no currency exchange fees for a full bundle of award-nominated works, I think I'll splurge.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-07-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Note at-par Canadian pricing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Trebro
Connoisseur

I'll check out the blog post and see what's up.

Is it sad to anyone else that you can basically buy a Hugo vote for $50? Certainly means that a dedicated fan base could easily tip things, if they have a bit of cash on hand.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aren't the Hugos basically the fan-voted awards anyway, and the Nebulas the pro ones?

I guess in a way this democratises things, since readers no longer have to purchase a Worldcon membership and attend to have a say.

Besides, it may be moot because Wikipedia says only a fraction of eligible people even bother to actually vote.
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Trebro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Aren't the Hugos basically the fan-voted awards anyway, and the Nebulas the pro ones?

I guess in a way this democratises things, since readers no longer have to purchase a Worldcon membership and attend to have a say.

Besides, it may be moot because Wikipedia says only a fraction of eligible people even bother to actually vote.
You have a point, I just feel like awards have gone a bit too far in the direction of inclusion, and I remember the days of early fan-balloting online, when a good campaign could swing things.

Right now, I'm debating if I can justify paying for a packet or if I should just read the stuff I can for free/low cost. It's a hard call, as the geek in me really wants to be a voter.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
Right now, I'm debating if I can justify paying for a packet or if I should just read the stuff I can for free/low cost. It's a hard call, as the geek in me really wants to be a voter.
Well, cost of the 6 novels alone in Kindle format (& the Windup Girl in paperback, though you can get it for $6 on Baen's Webscriptions; even cheaper if you bundle) would be a little over $55 US. So unless there's some authors whose works you really hate and would never pay for in there, you're already saving, especially once you add in the prices of the 4 novellas that aren't free reads online, which brings it up to $89 retail, not counting the unavailable out of print Kage Baker thing which seems to have been a limited edition now starting at $125 second-hand.

Of course, they are mostly in PDF format, which you might need to convert to read comfortably, and some of the bigger name titles are probably already available in a decently stocked local library.

Myself, I'd start by trying all the free stuff first and deciding how I'd vote on those/whether the Hugo nominee selection committee has completely lost all sense of taste based on what they picked for the shorter forms.

Then if I didn't think they've been smoking crack and throwing darts blindfolded to get their choices (or alternatively, that the field just had a really poor year), I'd lay out the money to buy if I felt I had it to spare and wouldn't be living off a 10-kilo bargain baggie of potatoes for the next three weeks, possibly flavoured with a bitter recurring argument over personal finances.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-08-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Clarified total costs.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Good points from everybody

All of the short fiction is online for free. Let's give that a go first. That way we can see if it's fun before shelling out any cash.

My plan is to have a separate thread for each category, so that people can avoid spoilers to a certain extent (I hate spoilers ). I'll also link to any freebies. Sound good?

Edit: All of the Best Novelette fiction is online too. I'll stick up a thread for that as well.

Last edited by Hatgirl; 06-08-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I'm going to Aussiecon4 and have downloaded the pack. A lot of the novels etc are not in a final published form. Lots of extra bits on a page. I will read them all but I don't think it's going to be as easy as reading a nicely formatted epub.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote