Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
iQQ
iQQ began at the beginning.

My Kindle DXi bricked

Oh, it's not a good news. I just got my Kindle Dxi for one week, then I got it bricked, sad ah~~

I don't want use the font hack, and would change the fonts through edit the "font.properties" and "netfront.ini". I succeeded before I try to make a better looking fonts.

After I copied few fonts into /usr/java/lib/fonts and reboot, then it stock after the indicator bar ended. It just wouldn't show up the content list.

Now it can be connected as USB device, can boot to recovery mode. I tried all the ways I know, not make it back to work yet.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!
iQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Contact Amazon for a replacement
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
You can try holding the power switch for like 2 minutes to the right and then release, or try pressing and holding the R button.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Could you put the unstall hack on it? Turn it on and off. Then do the software update?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
iQQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaZorz View Post
You can try holding the power switch for like 2 minutes to the right and then release, or try pressing and holding the R button.
Yes, I did the recovery mode and press R for reset. No help. I just don't know why kindle do not have a function let one button recovery, which totally flash the machine to its factory default.
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
iQQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Could you put the unstall hack on it? Turn it on and off. Then do the software update?
Basically, I can put hack in the root directory. However, non of then can be run while reboot.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Zorz
Zealot

if you just put the update file in the root and do a restart it usually pics it up automatically,
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
iQQ

Quote:
if you just put the update file in the root and do a restart it usually pics it up automatically,
Yes, if I just put the update bin file to the root directory, when reboot, it always says update not success.

I just don't know which update file will work in reboot.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Zorz
Zealot

usually when I get that error, if I hold the on/off switch for 2 minutes and then let the screen go blank it may start back up
Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
iQQ

Quote:
usually when I get that error, if I hold the on/off switch for 2 minutes and then let the screen go blank it may start back up
The problem is that it will not initialized as a real factory default.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Did you happen to install the screen saver hack? If so, there's some anti-brick stuff in that hack that you can use to try to repair your fonts.properties file (or whatever it was that got messed up).
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #12
iQQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Did you happen to install the screen saver hack? If so, there's some anti-brick stuff in that hack that you can use to try to repair your fonts.properties file (or whatever it was that got messed up).
Unfortunately, I did not.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Zorz
Zealot

if you can still get into rootfs, you likely can build the os on the kindle then copy the proper files, the ones you messed up into the proper location or just replace them all.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #14
iQQ

Quote:
if you can still get into rootfs, you likely can build the os on the kindle then copy the proper files, the ones you messed up into the proper location or just replace them all.
No, I can't get into the rootfs. That's the problem. I am just wondering if we can let the boot up update work for uninstall.bin.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQQ View Post
Oh, it's not a good news. I just got my Kindle Dxi for one week, then I got it bricked, sad ah~~

I don't want use the font hack, and would change the fonts through edit the "font.properties" and "netfront.ini". I succeeded before I try to make a better looking fonts.

After I copied few fonts into /usr/java/lib/fonts and reboot, then it stock after the indicator bar ended. It just wouldn't show up the content list.

Now it can be connected as USB device, can boot to recovery mode. I tried all the ways I know, not make it back to work yet.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!
This is for my kindle, but for me to do a factory reset the instruction are:
  1. Press the Home button
  2. Press the menu button
  3. Select 'settings'
  4. Press the Menu button
  5. Select 'Reset to Factory Defaults
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote