Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
According to geek.com, the color Nook will be $250.

That's a reasonable price for such a device. But I think the question is who would pay $250 for a limited-use device when for slightly more, they can get a full Android tablet the same size?
And that would be?

The question with a lot of these lower end Android reader/tablets is how well will they really work. Both Pandigital and Velocity Micro seem to have delivered units that were functional, but about which not much more could be said.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
And that would be?
Archos for one. There are several other vendors who either have a 7" Android tablet out or will soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
The question with a lot of these lower end Android reader/tablets is how well will they really work. Both Pandigital and Velocity Micro seem to have delivered units that were functional, but about which not much more could be said.
Yes, that is the question. So far, reviews are good. But they are still being evaluated.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
@lene1949:
I am one of those wishing for colour eInk.
I'm reading, amongst fiction, astronomy formulae books and other technical books. Technical codes, formulaes and (multi line) graphs do stand out if in colour.
Sure, but on a six inch screen??? It would make sense on something like the iPad where it's big enough to view PDFs properly and such, but not something the size of a paperback book.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
I don't get it. If the rumor is true, the screen will not be e-ink and the price will be almost twice as much as the wifi kindle. How would that make kindle obsolete?
heh, I did not say make the Kindle obsolete.
I said make the Kindle look obsolete. Even if it was not actually obsolete.

I learned this at my day job, being a computer programmer. I could slave away over a hot keyboard all day adding new software functionality and increasing efficiency. But if it did not change anything visible on the computer screen, Management thinks I have not done anything.

However if I spend thirty seconds changing the color of a button from green to blue, they are impressed.

Unfortunately the majority of customers are just as clueless as Management.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #20
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
heh, I did not say make the Kindle obsolete.
I said make the Kindle look obsolete. Even if it was not actually obsolete.

I learned this at my day job, being a computer programmer. I could slave away over a hot keyboard all day adding new software functionality and increasing efficiency. But if it did not change anything visible on the computer screen, Management thinks I have not done anything.

However if I spend thirty seconds changing the color of a button from green to blue, they are impressed.

Unfortunately the majority of customers are just as clueless as Management.
You know, you're right. Although I don't know that I'd call it cluelessness. I am well known for liking my eyeccandy in my software. Ask Kovid...he'll groan to prove it, LOL.
But it's true. Changes to the GUI of an application are what's most visible, and what gets the most attention. I think it's some quirk of human nature.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Nook Color is going to come out. B&N has already registered the domain www.NookColor.com and that gave it away.
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #22
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Sure, but on a six inch screen??? It would make sense on something like the iPad where it's big enough to view PDFs properly and such, but not something the size of a paperback book.
6" works well with formulaes, albeit, I would really like an 8"-ish colour eInk screen.
And *no*, no ipad or any apple trash will ever be owned by me. Not even if forced at gunpoint!
(I do not like their general policy, neither their controlfreakness nor their incompatibility or lack of customisation and lack of replacing parts).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #23
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
6" works well with formulaes, albeit, I would really like an 8"-ish colour eInk screen.
And *no*, no iPad or any Apple trash will ever be owned by me. Not even if forced at gunpoint!
(I do not like their general policy, neither their controlfreakness nor their incompatibility or lack of customisation and lack of replacing parts).
Finally! Someone who agrees with me! So you're resistant to the infamous SJ-RDF too, Bikeridr?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #24
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
Finally! Someone who agrees with me! So you're resistant to the infamous SJ-RDF too, Bikeridr?
SJ-RDF
Probably yes. (I can confirm when I get the term explained).

Also, the "religious sect" that apple heads seems to be a member of, is very extremely not to my liking.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #25
Stonecold
Connoisseur

SJ-RDF= Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field.

Steve Jobs emits a mystical reality distortion field that he seems to channel through his devices. Symptoms of the SJ-RDF are a reduction in will power, an increased succeptability to ads, a feeling that money isn't too big of a deal, and a sudden desire to have a sexy device.

Very few people are immune to this powerful field, and those who are still feel the effects.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #26
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

@Stonecold:
I then can confirm; I'm 100% naturally immune to the mentioned SJ-RDF
Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #27
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
Also whom are they targeting the device to? The book worms prefer e-ink devices;
If it's true that the screen is indeed LCD, they must be targeting those uninformed book-worm-wannabes.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #28
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Would be rather nice if this turned out to be using a pixelqi screen, but you'd have to assume that would have been hyped up by now if it was the case.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #29
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Would be rather nice if this turned out to be using a pixelqi screen, but you'd have to assume that would have been hyped up by now if it was the case.

Seems like they are trying to keep a blackout on it till tommorow though.

One thing I did find interesting is the google adwords I am getting now on a number of sites talking about the nook 2 are now for the mirisol display.
PixelQi would be interertings as well of course, but they still don't have screens that small yet from what I have read. Imagine the Notion will be the first major PixelQi device out.

If they are able to come out with the first color e-paper device for the rumored price point that will be very nice, and suprising to me. If it is an lcd device, that will be very disapointng as it would mean they have no idea what makes an ereader different then a slate/tablet.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Some possible target audiences for an LCD Nook Color would be: kids, students, casual readers, magazines, newspapers, etc. Not all Nooks need to be geared toward avid readers.

B&N already has Nook Study and is just about to launch Nook Kids. Both groups would benefit greatly from a quality, inexpensive 7" color reader with a touch screen.

There's room for two Nooks - eInk and color LCD.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote