Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
hp slate versus ipad for ereading pdf's

any insight on what device will be better?

I understand the slate screen is much smaller.

but what about reading pdf without reflowing. any possibility with either device.

I understand weight is the same and ipad is slippery.

or should we all wait for the skiffy.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
without reflow the larger size display is going to be better. unless the smaller slate has a great zooming feature that the ipad pdf viewer app doesnt.

It would seem to me that since the slate will be running windows that there are more and better pdf viewers available for it than are available for the iphone/ipad os.

I only had a few minutes with the iPad at the store yesterday but I wasn't that enamored of the iBooks app. Trying to read an ebook in pdf with the Pages app would be annoying
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Goodreader is the app on iPad that seems to be a fav to read PDF's on. THere is a thread on it in the Apple Devices forum. I read some PDF books and they look great in Goodreader. I also have a bicycle repair manual in PDF and it looks good as well The best I have seen other than a Full on PC screen.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I only had a few minutes with the iPad at the store yesterday but I wasn't that enamored of the iBooks app. Trying to read an ebook in pdf with the Pages app would be annoying
Judging PDF viewing on the iPad by iBooks is like saying that there is nothing good on TV because of what TLC airs.

Seriously, Goodreader is MUCH MUCH better in every way. One nice point is that it allows you to crop off the page margins so that only the actual textual part of the page is displayed; this really makes a difference in being able to read 8.5x11 PDFs full page without zooming and panning.

The best part is it only costs $0.99.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If you are talking standard Letter size or A4 formatted PDFs, I personally think a 9.7" screen is the bare minimum (and might be a bit small if you can't crop margins).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
any insight on what device will be better?

I understand the slate screen is much smaller.

but what about reading pdf without reflowing. any possibility with either device.

I understand weight is the same and ipad is slippery.

or should we all wait for the skiffy.
HP has killed the Slate. They will be making a tablet called the PalmPad. It will run WebOS, since they bought Palm.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote