Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #106
andrego
andrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDy_G View Post
1st I side loaded Bookerly font, but seems that Italic lines are converted to bolditalic. I fixed that by just deleting bolditalic from font family. Same thing with Literata. Any fix for this?
Thank you in advance
Please consider the issues associated with using these fonts. This is a grey area at best, and more likely software piracy (depending on the country in which you are located). There does not seem to be any way to obtain licenses for these fronts from Amazon (Bookerly) or Google (Literata).

However - the issue you mention is not specific to those fonts. Some people have reported success in simply renaming font files, but it also depends on Panose information (contained within the font files themselves).

You can use FontForge to fix this. Open the font files in question. For each one, go to 'Element' menu -> Font Info -> OS/2 -> Panose. Click the "Default" checkbox. Then, generate a new copy of the font: File menu -> Generate Fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDy_G View Post
Now the question is how can I force full justification? It bothers me a bit if it isn't applied
This is a bit more complicated. It depends partially on the reader/book format and also on the publisher and if/how they defined settings for justification in CSS.

One option is to use Calibre to change the justification of your books while converting them. When converting, you can choose to convert an ePub to an ePub. Under 'Look and Feel', select 'Justify Text' in the 'Text Justification' drop-down menu.

Converting all your books is potentially time-consuming, and you may not like the results. Another less-drastic option to consider is that Kobo devices have two readers: a standard ePub reader ala Adobe, and a "kePub" reader for Kobo Enhanced books. The kePub reader is is more heavy-handed in applying user settings (which is what you're after).

It is a matter of personal preference, but I find that it also generally provides better reading experience: faster page turns, better image handling, reading stats, etc.

One thing you may or may not like: it shows book title at the top of the page which makes it look more book-like, but also uses more screen space. The good news is that you can avoid that by using the hidden "Full Screen Reading" setting in this topic. (see posts 2 and 4).

To use the kePub reader for all books, check out the Kobo Touch Extended driver for Calibre, which converts your books to kePub files when you transfer them to your device.

Last edited by andrego; 02-15-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarified font licensing issues a bit
andrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #107
AlanNL
AlanNL began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo hd
Hi,
I was wondering if the touch areas could be made flexible. I like to use the edges for turning the page instead of big portions of the screen. For instance on the right edge, top half is next page, and bottom half is previous page.
AlanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon makes Kindle firmware files available to anyone with an account. The tools needed to get at the files inside the firmware files is freely available on MR and elsewhere. if you've pulled the fonts out of the Kindle firmware and not downloaded them from some other site, then I don't consider it piracy. I'm not actually sure what it is as you can download the firmware without agreeing to any terms and conditions.

As for Bookerly, if you want the latest version for eInk, get it from the 5.7.2.1 firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #109
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanNL View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if the touch areas could be made flexible. I like to use the edges for turning the page instead of big portions of the screen. For instance on the right edge, top half is next page, and bottom half is previous page.
Have a look at the 'Reading Settings', there are several options, one of which seems to match what you're looking for, though it divides the screen into thirds. The top third is back, the middle third brings up controls/options, and the bottom third goes forward in the book.

I'm not sure if it's possible for a patch to adjust these settings, though it's not likely that a patch could change the images associated with the settings so you'd have to remember what you changed the given setting to.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #110
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon makes Kindle firmware files available to anyone with an account.
Minor nit: You don't need an account. My experience is all I need to do is to navigate to the firmware download page, click on the download link and save the file. Not even an EULA to agree to.

I tend to agree it's hard to consider it piracy when you can freely download the content from Amazon's site.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-19-2016 at 01:34 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #111
SpeeDy_G
SpeeDy_G began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for the reply andrego. I managed to convert my epubs to kepubs using a converter plugin for calibre. It worked like charm, only problem I had was with fullscreen, as I like the footer but not the header, and the method in question that you linked didn't work for me. Maybe because it's a kepub, coz for another epub it worked.
SpeeDy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #112
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit: You don't need an account. My experience is all I need to do is to navigate to the firmware download page, click on the download link and save the file. Not even an EULA to agree to.

I tend to agree it's hard to consider it piracy when you can freely download the content from Amazon's site.
While I agree with you, and JSWolf, I can see a case being made that even though the firmware is freely available, the fact that it must be deconstructed in some manner beyond just unzipping a compressed file that Amazon did not intend to allow users to access the font files.

Would that hold up in a court? Debatable, and probably heavily dependent upon why Amazon was going after you. Also it's hard for them to try and track down folks who are doing this on their own. Unless they want to try and install spyware on every single computer*.

*I am not saying Amazon wants to do this, has ever said they wanted to do this or have ever done this. There is virtually no reason for them to try to do this given the PR nightmare that would surely come to be.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would say you'd be OK if you only keep Bookerly for your own uses and not give it to anyone else. The copy of Bookerly that's out there on the net for free download is an LCD version that's the first version and not all that good for eInk.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #114
andrego
andrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheeseandrego can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Amazon makes Kindle firmware files available to anyone with an account.
The fact that you can download it is unsurprising. Amazon have a vested interest in making it easy for customers to update their devices. That is clearly a different concept than Amazing giving those font files away to the general public to be used as they see fit.

Quote:
if you've pulled the fonts out of the Kindle firmware and not downloaded them from some other site, then I don't consider it piracy. I'm not actually sure what it is as you can download the firmware without agreeing to any terms and conditions.
While an argument could be made that it's unlikely Amazon would take action against people doing this for personal use, consider that this font was clearly designed for Kindle customers, not Kobo users. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Patch 'Dictionary frame size'.
Multi-version 3.13.1-3.19.5761+.
It increase the size of the pop-up dictionary.
It's for devices Glo, Aura, Aura Hd\H2O, Touch, Mini.

copy the file "nickel.patch" to 3.xx.x_source folder.

You can increase the height of the pop-up, by increasing the height frame in "nickel.patch" and the height text in "libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch".

pictures
1)unpatch
2)patch

libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Dictionary frame size`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 3.13.1-3.19.5761+
#file libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch
#
find_base_address = `#dictionary {\n\tmargin-top: 10px;`
# Dictionary text margin-glo
replace_string = 004F, `margin: 25px;`, `margin: 10px;`
# Dictionary text margin-Aura hd
replace_string = 008C, `margin: 20px;`, `margin: 10px;`
# Dictionary text area size in frame-Mini
replace_string = 00A9, `min-height: 150px;`, `min-height: 260px;`
replace_string = 00BD, `max-height: 150px;`, `max-height: 260px;`
replace_string = 00D1, `min-width: 515px;`, `min-width: 520px;`
replace_string = 00E4, `max-width: 515px;`, `max-width: 520px;`
# Dictionary text area size in frame-Glo
replace_string = 0123, `min-height: 190px;`, `min-height: 320px;`
replace_string = 0137, `max-height: 190px;`, `max-height: 320px;`
replace_string = 014B, `min-width: 550px;`, `min-width: 660px;`
replace_string = 015E, `max-width: 550px;`, `max-width: 660px;`
# Dictionary text area size in frame-Aura hd
replace_string = 019C, `min-height: 235px;`, `min-height: 430px;`
replace_string = 01B0, `max-height: 235px;`, `max-height: 430px;`
replace_string = 01C4, `min-width: 930px;`, `min-width: 978px;`
replace_string = 01D7, `max-width: 930px;`, `max-width: 978px;`
#padding-top
replace_string = 01F1, `padding-top: 20px;`, `padding-top: 10px;`
#
#
find_base_address = `#footer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n\tqproperty-leftMargin: 20;\n\tqproperty-rightMargin: 20;\n\tqproperty-bottomMargin: 20;`
# Footer: Page and language font & margin in frame-Mini-Glo
replace_string = 005F, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 20;`, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 00;`
# Footer: Page and language font & margin in frame-Aura hd
replace_string = 00DC, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 25;`, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 00;`
</Patch>
This patch isn't working on an H2O. I get the larger size box but the definitions do not fill the box. So I have plenty of empty space.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #116
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Can you please double check that the patch is in "libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch" file.
See in cmd.exe if it show "Applied patch 'Dictionary frame size'".

Edit: Also you can extract "libnickel.so.1.0.0" file from 3.xx_target\KoboRoot.tgz,
and see if the patch change the text, search>go to>61720, in FW 3.19.5.

In post #78 MGlitch confirmed that the patch works on H2O.

Last edited by oren64; 02-23-2016 at 05:05 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Can you please double check that the patch is in "libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch" file.
See in cmd.exe if it show "Applied patch 'Dictionary frame size'".

Edit: Also you can extract "libnickel.so.1.0.0" file from 3.xx_target\KoboRoot.tgz,
and see if the patch change the text, search>go to>61720, in FW 3.19.5.

Do I also need the file nickle.patch that you've attached?
Old 02-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #118
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Do I also need the file nickle.patch that you've attached?
Yes, copy the file "nickel.patch" to 3.xx.x_source folder.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #119
andrego

Quote:
Confirmed as well. I also think it's the 2nd patch.

JSWolf - For what it's worth, it works on my H2O after applying both the nickel.patch and the code for the libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch.

(I haven't tested in the ePub reader, just with KePubs, but I'm not sure that matters. I could test it if you're still having trouble though.)
Old 02-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think I have everything sorted. I'll give it a try later as I have to give the H2O some charge time in order to make sure there's enough power.