Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What's the Market Like for Local History E-Books?

I've toyed with this idea for a while and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any research at all on this.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of market there might be for local history e-books? They sell pretty well in physical form, but I'm not sure if that would really translate to digital, since some of the appeal may be to have a conversation piece or gift.

I'm thinking for smaller or regional towns, not big studies of New York City or anything.

EDIT: I ask because it seems that this could be an untapped market for authors looking for new distribution outlets.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I live in a pretty historic part of the US and enjoy local history. Ours is old enough that much of it is in the public domain.

You might check your library to see if there's a local historical society -- they might be able to give you an idea of general interest in the subject.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I think there could be a market for such things. Something between a tour guide and a history book. Something that could be interesting to local libraries, schools, and tourists. Priced such that no one minded paying to have a copy on their travel companion tablet or phone.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I checked out a local history book from our Overdrive connected local library, Fauquier County, published by Arcadia Publishing as part of their Postcard History series.

I checked their website and found that some, but not all, of their titles are available as e-books. There does not seem to be an easy way to identify which titles are available as e-books until you click on an individual title.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Arcadia does pretty solid stuff, so my gut would say if they see a market, there's a market.

Personally, I think it's a great idea, as local history in print form tends to be a local market (unless it's a really popular, major city). I would think e-books would give a better chance of discovery and sales in other markets because of the sampling factor and instant downloads.

For example, I would have probably gotten http://www.amazon.com/Klondikes-Chip.../dp/0811728447 in e-book if I didn't know my mom would want to read it and she doesn't groove to the tech. But she's kind of an exception. I know plenty of older readers who devour e-books.

I think the more outlets for local history the better!

Two other things:
I would have been more inclined to e-book if it was available on NOOK, my preferred reader.
It may be tougher to produce a good history e-book if you are trying to reproduce older, black-and-white photos. I'm no technical expert, but that seems to be tougher than just dropping in spanking new digital images. Still, not impossible. Just extra work to ensure a quality product.

Last edited by RHWright; 04-21-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: More Thoughts
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert