Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader lets users read e-books. Period.

Paula J. Hane reviewed the Sony Reader in the latest print issue of Information Today. She concludes that while the Reader doesn't do all the fancy things a handheld device does, it's still pretty good for what it's meant to be. Her bottom line:
Quote:
Early adaption of technology isn't for the faint of heart or the budget-conscious. But, if you must take 30 novels with you on vacation, then the Sony Reader could be the answer.
Pros:
  • bright, paperlike display
  • readable in bright light
  • long battery life (7,500 page turns)
  • convenient and comfortable size
  • connects to PC's USB port
  • CONNECT Store
  • font magnification (200 percent)
  • reads DOC, TXT, JPEG, RTF
  • plays MP3 files
  • SD/MMC, Memory Stick
  • content onto six devices

Cons:
  • no backlight
  • gray-scale, no color
  • slow page turning/screen refresh
  • user interface controls could use some tweaking
  • lacks Internet connectivity
  • purchase via Sony
  • problem with PDF readability
  • proprietary BBeB format
  • no user input (touch screen or stylus)
  • lacks search capabilites on device
  • high cost for a dedicated device

Related: Forbes gives Sony Reader short shrift
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Sounds interesting. InfoToday says they will post the article online later this month.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That's sort of like reviewing the F-22 Raptor and reporting...

Well the new F-22 submerges poorly and has very poor seakeeping performance in heavy seas in addition to very low cargo capacity. In city traffic it has dismal handling and only seats one making it a poor commuting vehicle and don't even think about using it to run to the corner store for milk since it's far to big to park conveniently. However when doing what it was built to do, flying, it's pretty good.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Fitzwaryn, that's exactly the kind of thing I've been taking journalists in the "tech" sector to task for for several years. I find it funny that people are evaluating this model on what they want it to be and concluding that it is a failure, rather than simply not designed for what they want it to be.

For all its faults - and there are some - the Sony device works well when reading linear material. Like books. Books with a beginning, a middle, and an end.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Did she consider it a failure? I didn't read it that way. I understand your sentiment, though.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
Did she consider it a failure? I didn't read it that way. I understand your sentiment, though.
Nope, I think most of us agree with Mrs. Hane - alas, a lot of other journalists missed the point and tried to compare apples and oranges when reviewing the Reader.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
If you must take thirty novels with you...

...yes. I must.

heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Sony Reader let's users read e-books. Period.

Good thing that's all I want it for. No need do my laundry. I have kids for that.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
None of the cons are cons to me, but pluses.

To expand further:
Cons:

* no backlight

Don't need one.

* gray-scale, no color

Don't need color. If I ever do get a color reading device, it'll be for comics. What adult reader needs color, for what, pictures? Sorry, I can read a book without illustrations now.

* slow page turning/screen refresh

I haven't notice this really.

* user interface controls could use some tweaking

How so?

* lacks Internet connectivity

Wait, you mean my device doesn't have a remote kill switch? Cool!

* purchase via Sony

Uhhh...purchase?

* problem with PDF readability

I just convert to text.

* proprietary BBeB format

What's a BBeB? (I know, I'm just saying, who cares if it supports a propriatary standard, as long as it supports open ones)

* no user input (touch screen or stylus)

I lack a need to doodle in the margins. If I did, I would get a legal pad.

* lacks search capabilites on device

Don't need again. I also dont' need a keyboard or a stylus or lots of buttons.

* high cost for a dedicated device

That's relative. I paid almost as much for my ipod.

Last edited by sealbeater; 05-19-2009 at 05:47 PM.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thirty is not nearly enough!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
None of the cons are cons to me, but pluses.

To expand further:

{cut}
Yeah, those are my thoughts on it exactly.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
MrDrWatson
MrDrWatson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
The only upgrade I would do, would be to create folders so I could sort all the books out. I only got my 505 yesterday and I've been tweaking Calibre (great program!) so I might just need a brief time to understand its logic instead of the windows explorer sort I'm used to.

For the rest I'm pretty happy with the reader (alas some pdfs have tiny letters I need to fix).

I'll only buy a new one if:
- This reader breaks
- A new reader with a bigger, colour screen so I can read comics and technical pdfs (but I'll keep the 505 for novels, it is perfect!)
MrDrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrWatson View Post
The only upgrade I would do, would be to create folders so I could sort all the books out. I only got my 505 yesterday and I've been tweaking Calibre (great program!) so I might just need a brief time to understand its logic instead of the windows explorer sort I'm used to.
Use Tags in Calibre to organize your books. It creates the Collections on the 505, and you can add more than 1 tag to a book if you want to.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
MrDrWatson
MrDrWatson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Thanks Renaldo! I've done that. In a series of books Calibre lets you put the number of the book in the series, but when I send the book to the device I can't see the number....maybe I should put a number next to the title of the book?
MrDrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Renaldo
Addict

I usually put the number in the title and it works well for me. I'll do it like 02 Title, 03 Title, etc.