Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Libre and Sony PRS300 screen comparison

Here is a side by side photo comparison between the Aluratek Libre and Sony PRS300. I used a flatbed scanner to create the images, so the text is going to be blurry since the screens are farther away from the scanner than the reader bodies. The text used for both readers is the same book and page from an ePub file that was deDRMed and tweaked with Calibre. The Libre ePub was tweaked only for margins, the Sony Pocket Edition was tweaked for margins and the text was set to bold. The font size on the Libre is 200% (see explanation below) and on the Sony Pocket Edition it is Small.

Font Sizes
  • Libre ePubs can have the font size set to 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300%, 350%, and 400%.
  • Sony Pocket Edition ePubs can have the font size set to Small, Medium, and Large.

Comments
  • The Libre font size is unchanged from portrait to landscape whereas the Sony Pocket Edition increases the size when in landscape.
  • The Libre displays a larger more annoying page number in the right margin than the one displayed by the Sony Pocket Edition.
  • The Libre can show justified text whereas the Sony Pocket Edition cannot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-portrait-small.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	48123   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs300-portrait-small.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	48124   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-landscape-small.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	48125   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs300-landscape-small.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	48126  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-15-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for showing that. I was buying my reader from Dell and they only offer the Aluratek and Sony e-readers, and I was wondering how the Sony looked, since I was going to by the reader strictly on the tech specs, never having seen either of them in real life.

I have to say, I'm happy that I got the white Aluratek rather than the black one - to me, it makes the screen look brighter. I also like the greater font size choices of the Aluratek, not to mention its format choices.

I'm happy with my choice.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
jswinden,

I am considering getting either the Libre/JetBook or the PRS-300. The main thing holding me back from the former was the lack of serif fonts. But here I see a picture of the Libre displaying a nice serif font. Is there some trick to getting this? Does the font have to be "embedded" in the epub? Thanks in advance for answering.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Ah, did a little more searching and found that the Libre has a serif font in the firmware. Moderator, please remove my previous post if deemed superfluous.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote