Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
How to connect my prs-500 to calibre

Ok trying out Calibre.

I connect my sony reader (had to install the sony software to get the drivers I usually just use a memory card reader) anyone have JUST the drivers?

anyway I kill the launcher process and ban it so the sony software does not auto load. (I did use it to confirm IT CAN see the prs-500 so it is properly connected to the PC I was able to read a book off the reader that is NOT on my pc)

Windows XP Pro SP2

Calibre installed and ran fine but it will not "see or connect" to my reader

I click send to device and it says Cannot Send: No Device is Connected

Suggestions?
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
nerys
Addict

FYI save to disk in a single folder is "ignored" it still puts it in a sub directory "tree" it creates.
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Calibre installed and ran fine but it will not "see or connect" to my reader

I click send to device and it says Cannot Send: No Device is Connected

Suggestions?
If this is the old (non-epub) firmware for the 500 then Kovid says to stick with 0.6.29 which you can find here. Version 0.6.29 is the last version of Calibre that supports connecting to the PRS-500.

Other then using this version of Calibre you can manually drag the files to the device via windows explorer.

You can just use the software from Sony for managing your books and use Calibre to convert ebooks via the Graphic User Interface (GUI) or the Command Line Interface (CLI).

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-28-2010 at 04:23 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
nerys
Addict

I tried 6.29 no joy same error. No device connected. I tried both the DOCK and a direct USB cable. No joy. The reader "is" visible in windows ie the sony software can interact with it just fine.

I won't be doing the epub update because reports say this trashes battery life. I know I can do it manually I was just hoping for an automated sync option. IE stick the reader in its dock and by morning all my news sites are updated and uploaded automatically.

That would have been nice. What would be nice is to do a "sync to memory card" option ie I specify k:\ for example and it "treats" that as if its a READER of my choosing. or NAME the memory card (I call mine "Sony Reader") and look for that and treat it as a reader.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to install the prs500 driver on windows. (it's in te driver subfolder of the calibre install tree, though I don't recall if it is present in newer calibre versions). And you cant have botht he sony reader software and calibre's prs500 driver installed at the same time, they conflict.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
nerys
Addict

Hmmm how do I install the driver? is right clicking the inf and selecting install sufficient? (I guess I will find out in a second or so)

Will I be able to use this driver to enable support in future versions? If its already WORKING in Calibre what is the logic in removing it ? (just curious I am no programmer :-)

The older 6.29 keeps giving random errors like "TypeError:can't subtract offset-native-aware datetimes

does not seem to keep anything form working but the newer version did not do this.

Seems right click install is not sufficient and I can not find "sony reader" or anything clearly the reader in the hardware tree

its a really minor issue I guess since there is no "auto sync" it sort of does not matter if it can see the device or not.

another neat feature would be to make all the new feeds ONE SINGLE file where it creates a custom TOC that is the first page where I select which one I want to read and then it goes to the toc of that selection etc..

Last edited by nerys; 02-28-2010 at 02:27 PM.