Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your Favourite Genre (to read and write)
Science Fiction 33 56.90%
Fantasy 29 50.00%
Crime/Mystery/Thriller 15 25.86%
Romance 11 18.97%
Supernatural/Horror 13 22.41%
General/Mainstream 6 10.34%
Literary/Classics 9 15.52%
Other 10 17.24%
What's Genre mean? 0 0%
I don't believe in Genre, it's a ridiculous construct of marketing people. 1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
Same here; I'd add
  • Psychology (several sud-divisions here)
  • Sociology (several sud-divisions here too)
  • Management "sciences"
  • Archaeology
not to mention sub-sub-divisions like : history of the sciences.
On the other hand, you maybe aren't beginning a PhD dissertation, are you?
I should have put in NON-FICTION, but it's so subdivided by category I'd need about three pages of choices. As to my own tastes, I don't read as much in traditional genres as I used to; there's only so many times a detective can solve the case, a hero/heroine can save the world and...well you get my point. I veer more towards slipstream or magic realism now, which I suppose would fit in the literary and general categories. I'm liking smaller stories about odd people in odd situations more and more.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'm liking smaller stories about odd people in odd situations more and more.
Have you tried Magnus Mills? He definitely ticks those boxes - I have no idea if his books are available as ebooks though - and if you do go for pbook, go for the older editions as the covers are far better (especially for Restraint of Beasts)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Have you tried Magnus Mills? He definitely ticks those boxes - I have no idea if his books are available as ebooks though - and if you do go for pbook, go for the older editions as the covers are far better (especially for Restraint of Beasts)
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked him up on Google books, and the book - Restraint of Beasts - has been scanned in upside down I'm assuming it's been scanned upside down and it wasn't somehow done that way on purpose. http://books.google.com/books?id=56n...ls&output=html
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked him up on Google books, and the book - Restraint of Beasts - has been scanned in upside down I'm assuming it's been scanned upside down and it wasn't somehow done that way on purpose. http://books.google.com/books?id=56n...ls&output=html
I can't think why Google would have done it on purpose - it certainly won't add to the story!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Moejoe
Banned

I think I might read this author next on your recommendation, after I've finished the brilliant Kelly Link short story collections.
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I don't like sci-fi or fantasy. I've never read a typical romance novels, most of which is for the heterosexual market.
Due to a general procrastination, I have not surveyed the following links myself, though the source (Patricia) is enough that I have bookmarked them, but I thought you might be interested in the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Here's an Australian site which aims to support gay authors and readers. It has a number of novels and stories which are freely available, though in PDF.
http://www.gay-ebooks.com.au/

And there's a companion site with lesbian literature:
http://www.lesbian-ebooks.com.au/
(From: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30695 )

I must admit that my experience with "gay fiction" has rarely been edifying, finding more interest in stuff of a biographical or autobiographical nature when I do find it. Saying that, one of my favourite books of recent times was Night Letters by Robert Dessaix, however I suspect it may have had an autobiographical element, and it is only superficially about a romance - a ménage à trois perhaps - between the letter-writer, the recipient, and a lovingly portrayed Venice, Italy (with other geographical "loves" en route).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote