Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Resurrect old debate: white vs graphite kindle

I am finally giving up on my dead k3 and I'm going to get a used one from eBay. I now have a choice of white or graphite k3. I bought the graphite initially because supposedly it made contrast look better. I do like the look of the white (tired of all the gray and black devices).

Does the dark bevel color really makes a difference in contrast, or should I go for the style I like.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have my gray kindle in a black leather cover/case so the kindle is mostly hidden except for the screen. I like the case personally as it feels more like a book.

IMO it boils done to personal pref.
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd go for the style you like.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The DXG (DX Graphite) kindle not only has a darker bezel giving better perceived contrast, but it also has the Pearl eink display, giving it better physical contrast AND faster eink update speed.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I had a White Kobo when it first came out, then I switched it to a black Kobo and there was a very noticeable difference. The black made the text look much clearer to my eyes. I've been using my Graphite K3 since last January and I love it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Besides, in my experience, the white gets grubby easily.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Having seen both, I think the graphite helps. But it IS a matter or personal preference.

It was an easy choice for me. I didn't want to have to clean my grubby paw prints off the white one all the time!
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
Having seen both, I think the graphite helps. But it IS a matter or personal preference.

It was an easy choice for me. I didn't want to have to clean my grubby paw prints off the white one all the time!
The eink pearl display that is used in the DXG is a large improvement in both contrast and speed, as I stated above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink#E_Ink_Pearl
Quote:
E Ink Pearl, announced on July 31, 2010, is the second generation of E Ink Vizplex displays, a higher contrast screen built with E Ink Pearl Imaging Film.[8] The updated Amazon Kindle DX [Graphite] was the first device announced to use the screen...
I have two DX and two DXG units. There is a very visible difference in display quality (and in speed) in the newer Graphite models.

If your "personal preference" is for a display that is slower and lower contrast, so be it...

But for me, the combination of higher perceived contrast combined with higher real contrast plus higher update speed makes the DXG an obvious choice.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
Barty was talking about k3, not kindle dx/dxg...
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
Barty was talking about k3, not kindle dx/dxg...
Ahh... Sorry. I though "white vs. graphite" implied DX/DXG. All K3 models (white and graphite) have eink Pearl, so it really is only perceived difference in contrast (which actually does matter for most people).

Sorry for the mistake. I actually do have a (dead) white K3 in one of my boxes full of K3s.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
True, but there are reports that readers with black bezels give the impression of better contrast than readers with white bezels - an optical illusion, but nevertheless contributing to the overall feeling of the reader most likely. (e.g. when the Boox M92 with white bezel was compared to the Kindle DX Graphite, both having the exact same eInk Pearl screen)

But I also guess that you should go with your preferred colour. Myself, I'm partial to the white ones, which are not available in Europe.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote