Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Broken gen 3 screen?

The attached jpg shows my cybook gen3, after an accident in which the gen3's screen was subject to some localised pressure, but not a sharp blow. It was in a tightly packed travel case.

The gen3 now can't be turned off or on. And the screen permanently displays the jagged pattern shown in the jpg. The surface of the screen doesn't appear to be damaged at all, however.

Can anyone suggest if the symptoms are fixable?

If not, where's a good UK source for a second hand gen3?

Regards,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen3.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	76713  
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Clearly a broken screen (the glass substrate has cracked). Getting it fixed is possible through Bookeen, but last time I had a screen replaced (two years ago), it cost €135.10 plus shipping to Bookeen. You might want to contact them directly to see if the price has changed.

Alternatively, perhaps a refurbished wifi Kindle 3 would do you - £79.99.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Mine got broken earlier this evening.
I'd put it down on the (empty) bath, and it slid down. Seemingly gently, but there were horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen, which then spread rapidly.
I've got a Sony, but I think I'm going to miss having a Mobipocket one. I see that the Waterstones website has the Opus for £89.99.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As pdurrant said, screen are costly to repair. You can to ask bookeen, but....
And readers prices went down, too. The gen 3 is quite old.
Are your books mobi ?

If so, the "easy" way, is to get a kindle, then just de-drm the books. No format shift needed. And access to amazon will makes it easier to find new books in the mobi format. The opus can read mobi too, but finding mobi books outside amazon is getting harder and harder. I would suggest going Amazon, or switching to ePub.
Else, you can de-drm and convert to ePub. Then get an opus, orizon, or the new sony.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I bought the last Opus from my local Waterstones this afternoon. £89.99 less about £5 on its loyalty card. Swapped the firmware to 1.6 and transferred all the non-DRM Mobipocket books to it.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Many thanks for all the information and advice especially pdurrant for link to refurbished Kindle.
Really liked the old Cybook but the Kindle is a whole different species.
Thanks also for the advice about doc conversion. Much of my old stuff was Word docs converted to pdf for the Cybook but Kindle seems to have a mind of its own when reading pdfs. Will check over on the Kindle section about this.

Much appreciated

Martin
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Memory serves me right, kindlegen can use .doc files as input.

Mobipocket creator certainly do.
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp.

What kind of .doc are they ? just text ? Or is there table and other "complicated" stuff ? If that's the fist, mobi will be much better than pdf.

If it's some pdf you read, the sony might be better choice than the kindle. (I can't speak from experience having neither kindle and sony, but I've heard that pdf support was better on the sony).

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote