Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #151
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd also like to add that if this does result in longer waiting lists, then that's unfortunate, but Kindle users have just as much right to access their library's services as ePub readers.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #152
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm still confused about how this is actually going to work. It was said that they would use Amazon's DRM servers, but it seems like the actual file (the text of the book)--not just the DRM--would be served by Amazon, no? So a library patron checks out a book (that currently says epub) but chooses Kindle. The (epub) license is marked as checked-out, meanwhile Amazon says, yep I've got that same book, I'm putting it on your Kindle now. Then the Kindle file expires at the same time that the epub license gets checked back in.

is that right?
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #153
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm thinking, but don't know, that rather than checking out the ePub file, .azw will become available as a download option. Whether this will result in longer waits for the ePub files, I honestly don't know, but I'm hoping not.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #154
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm getting that old deja' vu feeling. This sounds like "Overdrive" which is already being used by libraries coast to coast. How do they convince those libraries that already have several copies of a particular title that work with a couple of dozen readers, to buy more copies for the Kindle? Not to mention installing another software package to run along side the Overdrive they're already using.
This has been address numerous times in numerous threads (including this one) about the same topic. NO additional costs for the libraries.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #155
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I'm still confused about how this is actually going to work. It was said that they would use Amazon's DRM servers, but it seems like the actual file (the text of the book)--not just the DRM--would be served by Amazon, no? So a library patron checks out a book (that currently says epub) but chooses Kindle. The (epub) license is marked as checked-out, meanwhile Amazon says, yep I've got that same book, I'm putting it on your Kindle now. Then the Kindle file expires at the same time that the epub license gets checked back in.

is that right?
eP
Truthfully - nobody really knows. Overdrive has issued a press release stating that Libraries will be able to lend their existing Title Licenses to Kindle owners. That's all we know.

Yes, it will probably increase demand. But remember that many Kindle owners already check-out books via Overdrive via other devices such as iPADS and their iPhones or even a 2nd reader and that doesn't even count the "alternate methods." There are benefits to increased demand too if you are an eBook reader. More interest means larger budgets and more books purchased overall.

Next Christmas is probably increase demand too just like last Christmas crashed the Overdrive servers - but I don't see anybody in a fuss over that.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #156
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'd also like to add that if this does result in longer waiting lists, then that's unfortunate, but Kindle users have just as much right to access their library's services as ePub readers.
Thank you! I was not one of those complaining that the Kindle should be able to access digital libraries (when I bought mine I didn't even know about digital libraries so ...) but I'm happily looking forward to this ability, and I don't see why we Kindlers should be made to feel as if we'll crash the whole system.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #157
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Thank you! I was not one of those complaining that the Kindle should be able to access digital libraries (when I bought mine I didn't even know about digital libraries so ...) but I'm happily looking forward to this ability, and I don't see why we Kindlers should be made to feel as if we'll crash the whole system.
Agreed, we shouldn't. I bought my Kindle knowing I couldn't use it with Overdrive, and I was fine with that. But once it's available I'll be happy to use it, and honestly, it's not much of my concern if nook and Sony users don't like it.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #158
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I agree; we do.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #159
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

is that right?
eP
More than likely (speculation on my part), all ePubs in a library's inventory will become licenses for an ebook available in two formats - ePub or Kindle. The person checking out the book will choose which one they want.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #160
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Finally, Barnes & Noble introduced this feature some time ago and now the Amazon Kindle users can enjoy this great feature too
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #161
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
I sense there are some Kindle haters here who are not happy about this latest development. K3 is what I have, so I'm VERY happy.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #162
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
More than likely (speculation on my part), all ePubs in a library's inventory will become licenses for an ebook available in two formats - ePub or Kindle. The person checking out the book will choose which one they want.
Yeah, this is the only way I can see this happening. If the library has bought three licenses for a book, that book can only be checked out to three people at once, but it can be checked out in either epub or azw form.

I would assume that, for Kindle books, the library would simply make one license unavailable while the book was checked out, and Amazon would actually deliver the requested book from its own server. So you are ordering from the library, but receiving the book from Amazon.

And, yeah, I would imagine that after the book expired, you would receive a link to buy the book, or to buy the next book in the series.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #163
SyJ
SyJ began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerVA View Post
I sense there are some Kindle haters here who are not happy about this latest development. K3 is what I have, so I'm VERY happy.
My problem is not that I hate the kindle...or don't want kindle owners to use the library....they have every right to do so even if it means longer wait lists.

My main concern is how the publishers are going to react to this, and to a lesser extent what Amazon is going to do to muck up the system as they try to gain an advantage in some way.

Those two things are very different then 'hating the kindle' or not wanting kindle users to have library access.
SyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #164
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyJ View Post
My problem is not that I hate the kindle...or don't want kindle owners to use the library....they have every right to do so even if it means longer wait lists.

My main concern is how the publishers are going to react to this, and to a lesser extent what Amazon is going to do to muck up the system as they try to gain an advantage in some way.

Those two things are very different then 'hating the kindle' or not wanting kindle users to have library access.
How is Amazon's taking part, in an already established system, going to anger publishers when they're selling books/licenses to libraries anyway?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #165
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Poor old Amazon is damned if they do, damned if they don't...
People are hard to please and easy to criticize these days!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote