Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Reading a non-amazon book on my iphone kindle app locks up the phone[SOLVED]

Ok, this is odd, but I've been able to confirm this through several reboots.

I downloaded a book from this board, that was in MOBI format, transferred it to my jailbroken phone via SSH.

It shows in the amazon app. It opens, I can read it for a few pages, and then. BAM! Locks up the iphone. Sometimes, I am able to get the iphone to force quit the application, and get back to the home screen. Sometimes, I can't even get back to the home screen unless I do a hard reboot(holding the home key and power key down).

I thought at first, maybe the kindle app is phoning home. So I turned on Airplane mode, no wireless, nothing. Still I open the Kindle app, flip 3 pages in my non-amazon book. BAM, locks up everytime. Anyone else confirm this for me? Did I transfer it wrong? I didn't rename it or anything I just transferred it. So just now I tried renaming it to a convention similar to other books, so it would look similar... but still. Flip 3 or 4 pages, locks up.

Sneaky amazon, sneaky. I know you want me to buy your books, but I'm not buying a Kindle if I can't read any book from my kindle on both devices...

Last edited by palex481; 03-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Aside from the other apps that can read the file (try Stanza), check to see if the book is available on Amazon. If it's a PD book you'll likely find it for free and formatted to work with Kindle app. It is a "Kindle" app after all.

Edit: Try sending it to your iPhone. "youriphonename@kindle.com". I will be converted into a Kindle book.

Edit2: The "@kindle.com" email option is not available for iphones or ipods.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-23-2009 at 12:33 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Which book was it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
palex481
Connoisseur

It was "A Highland Seer: Tea-Cup Reading and Fortune-Telling by Tea Leaves"
Which can be found on this board here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25006

It was just a random book I selected to try out with the Kindle app.

A quick search on the Kindle store shows that this book is available... its $3.96, vs Free from this board. I'm assuming its PD book or it wouldn't have shown up on this forum. It was really just the first book I came to honestly.

Last edited by palex481; 03-08-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
palex481
Connoisseur

I tried this with another book from this forum in PRC format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18352

This book is on the Kindle store, but again its $2.39 vs Free... yes very little cost, but it adds up.

This time, I had airport mode on before going into the amazon app the first time... so it could not phone home at all. No way, no how. Still locks up after a few pages. Amazon just seems like a very "All your base are belong to us" kind of company to me with the Kindle. Anything this locked down is scary to me. They don't want you reading any book not acquired from them really.

Yes the Kindle store is easy, but

A.) They don't have all the books I currently have already in ebook format.

B.) I'm not paying for public domain books that I can get free elsewhere... just seems pointless to me.

Looks like I'm looking to another way to read books on both an ebook reader and my iphone.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I'm sure I've read that Stanza works with the iPhone, though I don't know if the iPhone version reads unprotected Mobipocket, as the Kindle does.

If I had an iPhone or iPod touch in addition to my Kindle, I guess I'd use the Kindle app only for Amazon books and read all my other mobipocket books (MobileRead, Manybooks, Baen, etc) on another app.

It does seem like a shame one can't read all one's books in one app, though. Especially since they're all the same format.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I tried this with another book from this forum in PRC format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18352

This book is on the Kindle store, but again its $2.39 vs Free... yes very little cost, but it adds up.

This time, I had airport mode on before going into the amazon app the first time... so it could not phone home at all. No way, no how. Still locks up after a few pages. Amazon just seems like a very "All your base are belong to us" kind of company to me with the Kindle. Anything this locked down is scary to me. They don't want you reading any book not acquired from them really.

Yes the Kindle store is easy, but

A.) They don't have all the books I currently have already in ebook format.

B.) I'm not paying for public domain books that I can get free elsewhere... just seems pointless to me.

Looks like I'm looking to another way to read books on both an ebook reader and my iphone.
If you've set up your account at Amazon. Go to "manage my Kindle". Add the email address you want to use to send converted books to your phone. Use one of the addresses to send the book to "youriphonename@kindle.com" and you should be good to go. Your free (non-DRM) book has been Kindleized for use with the Kindle app.

Though I can download your sample PD book and read it on my Kindle, the Kindle app has fewer features. Its purpose is to give you access to Kindle books (which many non Kindle owners have been clamoring for). Books you get elsewhere can be read on something else or need to be converted for use with the app.

Edit: The "@kindle.com" email option is not available for iphones or ipods.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-23-2009 at 12:34 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both of the books you have tested are TEXt REAd and not proper MobiPocket books. Try one of HarryT's Dickens' books which I think are all in MobiPocket format.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
palex481
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you've set up your account at Amazon. Go to "manage my Kindle". Add the email address you want to use to send converted books to your phone. Use one of the addresses to send the book to "youriphonename@kindle.com" and you should be good to go. Your free (non-DRM) book has been Kindleized for use with the Kindle app.

Though I can download your sample PD book and read it on my Kindle, the Kindle app has fewer features. Its purpose is to give you access to Kindle books (which many non Kindle owners have been clamoring for). Books you get elsewhere can be read on something else or need to be converted for use with the app.
Amazon had told me when I asked them that this didn't work for the iPhone app. I tried it for kicks, and I emailed it to the address. But it hasn't shown up, have you gotten this to actually work?

See Stanza will read mobi books, I can transfer them with the Stanza app... but the whole appeal of the Kindle app is that it uses the same Location numbers as the Kindle, so despite, non-amazon books not working with Whispersync, I could still pick up reading between the two, if they didn't lock up my phone.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
palex481
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Both of the books you have tested are TEXt REAd and not proper MobiPocket books. Try one of HarryT's Dickens' books which I think are all in MobiPocket format.
Sweet! This works, and doesn't lock up my phone.... Tell me more about this TEXt REAd format issue? Its still odd to me that it would read a few pages of the TEXt REAd kind and then lock though.

I loaded A Tale of Two Cities here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17594

And no lockups, so far!!! This plan may work after all.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I'm sure I've read that Stanza works with the iPhone, though I don't know if the iPhone version reads unprotected Mobipocket, as the Kindle does.
It does not -- it uses ePub as its native format. You can convert Mobi documents to ePub using Calibre and import to Stanza (don't use Stanza Desktop to do the conversion, it does a very poor job).

Alternatively, the Bookshelf app for the iPhone reads unprotected Mobi files natively.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sweet! This works, and doesn't lock up my phone.... Tell me more about this TEXt REAd format issue? Its still odd to me that it would read a few pages of the TEXt REAd kind and then lock though.
I suspect they only have tested the application with proper MobiPocket books. See

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PDB#...atabase_Format

The books you tested was PalmDoc format. MobiPocket is an extension of the PalmDoc format and up until now I think all programs that could read MobiPocket also could read PalmDoc format.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
palex481
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I suspect they only have tested the application with proper MobiPocket books. See

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PDB#...atabase_Format

The books you tested was PalmDoc format. MobiPocket is an extension of the PalmDoc format and up until now I think all programs that could read MobiPocket also could read PalmDoc format.
So how do you tell the difference? Both have a .PRC extension. Is there a program or something I can load these files in to see what format they are in?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So how do you tell the difference? Both have a .PRC extension. Is there a program or something I can load these files in to see what format they are in?
I run mobi2mobi (part of MobiPerl) on them. You can also just check the beginning of the file in a text editor or:
Code:
invid:~/mysvn/mobiperl/test/temp> head -c 80 Adams_Henry\ Adams.prc | strings
Adams_Henry Adams
TEXtREAd
A MobiPocket file will say MOBIBOOK.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Dmsavage
ebook lover
Dmsavage began at the beginning.

Device: eb1150 iPhone PRS-505
Wow thanks you guys! I learn something new here every day.
Dmsavage is offline   Reply With Quote