Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > Kindle Books (offline)

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Smith, E.E. "Doc": Triplanetary - v2 - 22 June 07

Classic SciFi from an old master and later reworked into the "Lensman" series.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wheeze... pant... can't do it...

Man, I must be getting old! I remember reading Lensman as a kid, but I tried to read Triplanetary, and just could not get past the "quaint" old sci-fi dialogue. And I regularly enjoy the entire Doc Savage run!

It really is something, though, to read through books of this era to see where the prevaling attitudes were at, the use of concepts and technological ideas, and especially the writing styles... there was a distinct style about that time period, and Smith is all over it.

It makes me wonder how my writing will be looked at in fifty years' time.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I finished wading through this book. While I did like the storyline, I really had trouble dealing with the flourishes and fancy words. To me it certainly isn't present- day English.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
I finished wading through this book. While I did like the storyline, I really had trouble dealing with the flourishes and fancy words. To me it certainly isn't present- day English.
Well you are right. The original dates from 1934 and was rehashed in 1948. It is some of the oldest SF on my bookshelf (and in my reader). Sometimes I use it to practice speed-reading.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
longtruong007
longtruong007 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Many thanks for the site.
The novels from the Doc have been my most favorite ones. I've read them over dozen times and still enjoying them.
longtruong007 is offline   Reply With Quote