Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
dotancohen
Enthusiast
dotancohen is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Does the internal Calibre reader convert PDF files?

I suspect that the internal Calibre ebook reader converts PDFs to a different format for display. This is because much formatting is lost, yet one now has the ability to resize the fonts and change the font faces. Additionally, one of my CPU cores goes to 100% for a good minute or two before the PDF file opens.

Is there a way to have Calibre open the file in it's native PDF format, or should I continue opening the PDF files with Okular?

Thanks!
dotancohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you want to open all your PDFs in the native format, you will need to use a different viewer. The easiest way to do that is to set the file association in your computer to open PDFs in the viewer of your choice, then, in calibre, go into Preferences, then Behavior, then uncheck PDFs under Use Internal Viewer For.

To change the file association in Windows, go into the Control Panel, double click on Folder Options, click on the File Types tab, find PDF and click on it, then, at the bottom half of the Folder Options window, click on Change. Find and select the reader you want to open your PDFs. Now, whenever you select a PDF to read from within calibre, calibre will open it in the viewer you chose instead of the internal viewer.

Someone familiar with Macs will have to jump in to explain how to do this on Macs.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The Calibre internal book viewer converts all books to ePub before displaying.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
He's using Linux with KDE. Keep using Okular if you wanthe PDF to display as is.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
dotancohen
Enthusiast
dotancohen is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Thanks, all.

@Lady Fitzgerald, I do have Calibre configured to open PDF files in an external program. I meant to ask if there was a way to open the native PDF in the Calibre viewer without changing formats. I apologise for being unclear. I know understand that this is not possible, but I can happily continue using the terrific Okular.

Thanks!
dotancohen is offline   Reply With Quote