Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the 4gb on the Kindle enough?...

Okay, so right now I'm deciding between a Kindle or a Sony 650; however, why did the Kindle limit itself to only 4gb?! I would of loved them to make it expandable! I really doubt 4gb is enough for some ebooks + audio books.

Also I heard that PDF viewing on Sony 650 is better? Is it really a noticeable difference?

If you guys has a choice which one would you go for? Kindle or Sony 650?

Finally epub vs mobi. From what I know epub is superior, and more easily accessible; however, at the same time, the Kindle store is just super easy and supports the most amount of books.

Man why is this so hard?
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I don't think you could say one is 'better' than the other. They are both wonderful ebook readers. It really depends on what features you like best or which suits your purpose at the moment because, really, you are not making a lifetime decision here. In a year or so you will probably be looking at something else or an additional ebook reader to supplement the one you have.

4gb is more than enough. Apparently it is equal to 3,500 books. No way most of us would have that many at once. I know I would not want to scroll through anything like that. I am sure you could move some off anyway if you were to run out of room.

I chose the Kindle because of the tie to Amazon. I have been an Amazon customer for many years and it seemed the logical choice. As well, I had heard of the Kindle previously although they weren't then available in my country. My workmate chose her Sony because she liked the touch screen and she shops for her books locally. We are both very happy with our ereaders.

So good luck. I am sure you will enjoy which ever one you finally choose
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
Man I'm really leaning towards a kindle; however, i really want more space just because i wanted to store some audio books in there as well. This is really downer... I might pick up a kindle in a few days though....
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post
Man I'm really leaning towards a kindle; however, i really want more space just because i wanted to store some audio books in there as well. This is really downer... I might pick up a kindle in a few days though....
That can be a drag, since audiobooks are such file hogs. Have you considered loading just a few (for emergencies) and then doing the bulk of your audiobooks on an MP3 player?

I'm a big fan of audiobooks and use a very small 4GB Sansa Clip+ that goes with me everywhere. It's currently on sale at RadioShack for $30 (retail $50) and includes support for MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Audible, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, FM radio, podcasts, audiobooks, Rhapsody, voice & FM recorder, and has a microSD card slot. Highly rated, it's my primary device for music and audiobooks. I definitely recommend it.

Something to consider, is that most ereaders don't support WMA and the majority of audiobooks from the library are WMA. Many MP3 players will cover the three main audiobook formats - MP3, WMA, Audible.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Okay, so right now I'm deciding between a Kindle or a Sony 650; however, why did the Kindle limit itself to only 4gb?! I would of loved them to make it expandable! I really doubt 4gb is enough for some ebooks + audio books.

Also I heard that PDF viewing on Sony 650 is better? Is it really a noticeable difference?

Finally epub vs mobi. From what I know epub is superior, and more easily accessible; however, at the same time, the Kindle store is just super easy and supports the most amount of books.

Man why is this so hard?
Perhaps a tablet (iPad, Galaxy, etc.) would better suit your needs? You wouldn't have to worry about proprietary formats.

Here's a Youtube video that briefly compares the 650 to the K3. It looks at pdf capabilities at about the 3:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtrKo...eature=related
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Perhaps a tablet (iPad, Galaxy, etc.) would better suit your needs? You wouldn't have to worry about proprietary formats.
But is the additional cost worth it - $140 vs $500? That's a lot of money.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Entu
Ice queen
Entu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I got same problem not long ago and i solved it today and ordered PRS-650, why?

- Better build quality.
- ePub ( for European its BIG plus )
- Touch screen
- A bit smaller than Kindle.
- Expendable memory.
- Better with PDFs than Kindle.
- No this stupid Kindle keyboard....

I also don't have use for WiFi or 3G soo .. now i only need to wait few days until my delivery will arrive
Entu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Only the OP can determine if the extra cost justifies the extra capabilities... and shorter battery life, etc.

For me, watching some of those youtube videos demonstrate why touch screen displays aggravate me... the occasional need to tap, Tap, TAP to get it to recognize a command. I know that they work very well most of the time, but still.

I don't know about build quality, but some of the pros/cons are very subjective in nature (as is my preference for real, not virtual keyboards).

The good news is that we have choices! The bad news is that no single EBR does it all. (or maybe that's good news and will continue to drive the market to improve the devices).
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

Man why is this so hard?
4GB should be more than enough. One of the huge advantages of Kindle is the access of your archive via 3G. You don't have to have all your books permanently in your library. You can keep the majority in your archive and download them "on demand".
Of course, that's true only for the books from Amazon. Sideloaded content is different of course.

PDF support on Kindle is basic at best. Sony and others clearly have way better support.

Re. "Kindle bookstore": You're absolutely right. It probably still is the best source and usually has the lowest prices.

Personally, I really like touchscreen units. So Sony 650 has some advantage over Kindle 3. On the other hand, I love the form factor of Kindle DX.

If you're into PDFs, I'd check out tablets as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
4 GB should be more then enough space for you. I know that Audible books has some type of connection with Amazon so that those books are available in your archive. What this means is that you can remove a book from your device but put itback on your device very quickly using the WiFi option or the 3G option, depending on which one you buy.

I would not buy an e-reader without some type of internet connectivity. Both my Kindles use the 3G option, I have not bought a K3 with WiFi yet, so I have no idea if I really need the 3G capability. I know that I love being able to download on the fly and buy what I want when I want.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
4GB should be more than enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
4 GB should be more then enough space for you.
OP also wants to load audiobooks and they eat up the storage. With 3-4 audiobooks per GB, it doesn't take long before available storage is depleted.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
OP also wants to load audiobooks and they eat up the storage. With 3-4 audiobooks per GB, it doesn't take long before available storage is depleted.
Which is why I pointed out that Amazon has an arrangement with Audio books so that the Audio Books bought through them show up in your archive. Using the Wifi or 3G functionality will allow the OP to have a ton of Audio Books one click away without carrying them in the device or memory card.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Which is why I pointed out that Amazon has an arrangement with Audio books so that the Audio Books bought through them show up in your archive. Using the Wifi or 3G functionality will allow the OP to have a ton of Audio Books one click away without carrying them in the device or memory card.
If you buy from Amazon. How about side loaded audiobooks from the library, LibriVox, Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, ManyBooks, etc? I know quite a few people who only download free audiobooks; myself included.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Then it is an issue. I know more people who buy from Audible then who borrow books from the library or download them for free. If the OP is someone who uses Audible then the space is not an issue.

I am trying to think of anyone I know who get audiobooks from the library and coming up with a huge goose egg. Then again, the only folks I know who use the library use it for their kids books. Most people I know buy their books.

(shrugs)

It is something for the OP to think about.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It is something for the OP to think about.
That it is.