Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Question Nook annotation database

I've scoured the intertubes (and this forum) looking for this information but my google-fu phails .

To be clear from the get go - I'm talking about an unrooted nook with the 1.4 firmware. Does anyone know where the annotation/highlight data are stored? What sort of database is it? Is it encrypted or not (no earthly reason why it should be - I wrote the blasted annotations ). I figure that if it exists in an accessible file and is ascii, it is always possible to write code to extract the annotations. Seeing as no one (that I could find) has done this, I don't have high hopes for this question, but what the hey?

A related question - is annotation data stored separately for the B&N library and my documents? If so, perhaps there's a chance that even if the B&N annots are off-limits, the my docs annots maybe open? *sigh* You can tell I'm desperate .

Help me Mobileread, you're my only hope
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing? *sigh* Can't say I'm surprised. Oh well...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
bridgetostars
bridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with others

Device: Nook
I wish I knew and could help you, but alas, I do not. I would also be very interested in the answer as well, though!
bridgetostars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

Thanks for the reply bridgetostars .

Well, now I think that I sorta know where the annots are. Somewhere in the (hidden) "data" partition. See here - http://robotskirts.com/media/text/nookfslist.txt (it's a file listing from a rooted nook). I've tried a couple of things to try to mount the hidden ext3 partition but access is disabled by default (or so I deduced at least). When you softroot, you can use adb to access it.

I'm positive that digging through the files on there will easily uncover the annots. *sigh* I guess I'll wait for the upcoming update, see if it resolves the annotation problems. If not, it's time for a softroot and a headfirst dive into those beautiful looking files on the "data" partition .
Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
My guess is that the annotation database is stored somewhere in ./data/data/com.ereader.android/databases/ . I'm looking for it myself.

/Later: I managed to mount the EXT3 partition with ADB but I had no luck finding the annotation database. I tried searching for files modified in the last hour thinking the annotation file would pop out but there are just too many files touched by the booting process.

Last edited by cypresstwist; 09-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

@cypresstwist
Great to hear that someone else is looking for it - and nice start by the way.

A suggestion - what if you were to make a highlight and add a short note (like "test") and immediately close the book (go to the home screen), while noting the exact time displayed (on the nook) - call it "T"?

Critically, have the nook in airplane mode for at least 10 min before doing this (with "auto-standby" and "auto-LCD screen dim" turned off so that it's just sitting there with the book open doing nothing for about 10 min before and after annotating). That gives you a window of T + 2min in which some file was changed. So, instead of filtering all the files modded in the past hour, you could search for only files modded in that relatively boring stretch of time (say, T +/- 3min) where (presumably) not too many other files would have been modded.

Hope you find this suggestion useful - I'd love to hear back if you do try it (or something else). Thanks again

Edit: thought of something more - if you find a small set of files that could be the culprits but that are still too much data to go through, perhaps something like notepad++ could help search multiple files for the annotation you just made (in which case, it might be better to make the note something unique to use as a search string instead of just "test" ).

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 09-27-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: (thought of something to add)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

I read somewhere yesterday that if you make annotations in a book using your Nook, that particular book should display those annotations in other EPUB reading software. This means that the annotations should be stored within the EPUB file itself. Since the EPUB is only an archive file, you can rename it to *.ZIP and browse its contents. I tried looking for annotations this way but didn't find anything relevant.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
I read somewhere yesterday that if you make annotations in a book using your Nook, that particular book should display those annotations in other EPUB reading software. This means that the annotations should be stored within the EPUB file itself.
This is a goal of epub 3, the next revision of the standard, but it is not in the current spec (see here for the draft implementation). If any existing epubs try and do this it is at best a draft implementation, and probably just proprietary.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Reader2
intentionally left blank
Reader2 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (display damage) so 2nd: Nook still working; Sony hardly used;
Interesting, I was planning to write some app to get the notes/highlights but was not sure where to find the data. It's on my list.
---
In the /data/com.bravo.ereader.activities/file is a filelist containing the books (and some font sets), these are called
bookfilename_UserData (p.e. Calibre Books ebook_catalog - calibre.epub_userData)
Most of these are about 6/700 bytes but annotated are must bigger and contain things like:
#point(/1/4/150/5:3)tinvullend voorspellend
Well that was a (dutch) annotation I made to the highlighted part of the page I also bookmarked.
So it might be that the annotations are stored within the metadata of the booklist.
If you delete the book, it will also disappear from this list ... and your annotation is gone.

Last edited by Reader2; 10-01-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Reader2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader2 View Post
Interesting, I was planning to write some app to get the notes/highlights but was not sure where to find the data. It's on my list.
---
In the /data/com.bravo.ereader.activities/file is a filelist containing the books (and some font sets), these are called
bookfilename_UserData (p.e. Calibre Books ebook_catalog - calibre.epub_userData)
Most of these are about 6/700 bytes but annotated are must bigger and contain things like:
#point(/1/4/150/5:3)tinvullend voorspellend
Well that was a (dutch) annotation I made to the highlighted part of the page I also bookmarked.
So it might be that the annotations are stored within the metadata of the booklist.
If you delete the book, it will also disappear from this list ... and your annotation is gone.
I do believe you have found it! Awesome!!!!
If the next B&N update doesn't fix things with annotations and library organization, it's softroot time!!!

One question (and food for thought). Do you think the numbers in parentheses(/1/4/150/5:3) denote the chapter, section, page number, row and column (or some combination thereof) where you made the annotation? I guess the highlighted text itself doesn't show up in the file eh? (That would have been just too good ).
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
Reader2
intentionally left blank

I guess the next BN update would need also a softroot crack update (ref. 1.4.1 at nookdev wiki).
2nd: Yep the highlighted portion is not in the metafile just the annotation I made.
3th I reopened (unarchived) the book and found my bookmarks&highlight&notes still there, but I guess the anchor#point(1/4/150/5:3) is not hiding a chapter/page number (rethink, the (display)pagenr. is font/size dependend) - might be a blocknumber or something within it.
So what about a java/android activity/service refactoring the note, context (highlighted portion) and position indication from this metafile and bookfile, and write it to the screen (with a hyperlink to the original text) and also make this persistent in a file.

I just installed NookNotes, and it might fit well to add a feature to this program to import booknotes as described above.
See also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64#post1141764
Next thing is to export these to file or make them accessible from outside.

The other way is to get the ...UserData (and related book) out the NOOK and do the work on the pc.

Last edited by Reader2; 10-02-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania

Thank Reader2, i've also found my missing annotations file. Now to figure out why it won't show on the Nook.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Reader2
intentionally left blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
i've also found my missing annotations file. Now to figure out why it won't show on the Nook.
Maybe you refreshed/replaced the bookfile? That's certainly destroying the link.
I noticed that these files are persistent, and keep in memory even after a reboot.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Ferencz
Ferencz began at the beginning.

Device: nst
/data/com.bravo.ereader.activities/file

although official support doesn't sound very promising are there any new plans for a calibre-plugin or so?

this would be great, especially for reference management!
Ferencz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, database, nook, unrooted