Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (DRM-free, multiple formats) Of Noble Birth [Vaguely Historical Pirate Romance]

Of Noble Birth, by Brenda Novak, is a backlist historical pirate romance originally published by HarperCollins' HarperTorch imprint, and now offered free courtesy of the author and AllRomance eBooks as their final 12 Days of Christmas countdown selection.

This is a lengthy-looking, medium-heat 3-flame work, whose tags say, among other things, "new york times best seller", "reformed rake", "cinderella story", "regency", and "victorian era".

Now, those first few things may well be true, but I truly and sincerely hope that neither the author nor anyone officially related to producing and promoting the book had anything to do with those two last.

Because while I understand that sometimes the "historical" aspect of some of these books is simply "wallpaper" and they're really just an excuse to have an innocently sheltered virgin be introduced to the delights of hawt sexyfuntimes with a rakish duke* she meets at a fancy ball while wearing pretty dresses (presumably her wearing them, and not him, but I'd be okay with that and I hope she would be too, because True Love® and all), but Regency and Victorian==NOT THE SAME THING AT ALL!

There's actually an interspersing monarch between them that admittedly no one ever really pays attention to, but that's not the point, which is hugely different art and fashions and culture and customs and yeah, actual historical timeframes involved, so not interchangeable unless you really and seriously Did Not Do The Research™†.

As the TV Trope used to go (before they changed it to the far less pithy "Artistic License"), You Fail History Forever™.

And now that I've typed all that, it'll probably turn out that the heroine is a downtrodden Victorian orphan lass who falls through a time-travel vortex straight onto a rakish Regency pirate's lap and the action proceeds from there. Eh, whatever.

Anyway, free without DRM in the format of your choice over @ ARE for the next 48 hours, and you can still pick up the previous day's 5-flame m/m closeted romantic relationship drama with the obvious subgenre fetish object, Calvin's Cowboy, for a limited time if you missed it.

I hope you've all enjoyed All Romance's annual 12 Days of Christmas countdown giveaway, which has statistically consisted of 75% erotic, 50% non-paranormal contemporary, 25% shapeshifter, 25% mate-seeking (surprisingly, not completely congruent with the previous), 25% cowboy, 25% mystery/thriller, 25% gay (I hope we're offered stuff with some lesbians and non-getting-it-on-while-sharing-the-sole-Chosen™-female-mate bisexuals next time around, just for representative balance), 17% BDSM/kink , 17% ménage, 17% Canadian-authored (surprisingly, not completely congruent with the previous), and 8% alien offerings.

Happy holidays to those who celebrate them around this time of year, and happy reading to all!

Description
HE WAS A MAN WHO TOOK WHAT HE WANTED. AND HE WANTED HER.

To escape her cruel stepfather, seamstress Alexandra Cogsworth envisioned sailing far from England...though not as a captive aboard a pirate's ship.

Pirate captain Nathaniel Kent's strategy for exacting revenge on his coldhearted father involved taking a valuable hostage...not a seamstress he mistakenly thinks is his half sister.

Yet fate has designs of its own, landing them both on board the ROYAL VENGEANCE. At sea, Nathaniel intercepts and plunders his father's ships, all the while tormented by his illicit hunger for the tempting prisoner he thinks is his blood relation. And although Alexandra wants no part in this terrifying voyage, to reveal her true identity to the handsome, blue-eyed Nathaniel would invite danger. Not only would she become worthless cargo, but the revelation would surely unleash what she and Nathaniel have been fiercely battling--a rising undercurrent of impossible desire that could sweep them away for good.

* And speaking of that, do writers actually know how few ducal seats there really are in the English peerage? You could actually count them on just the fingers of your hands provided you had some freaky polydactyly action going on.

† And wallow in ignorance like pigs in a sty.

Kids, this is why you need to stay in school. And adults, this is why you have to quit whining about your property taxes and pay up that portion which funds your public libraries (and garbage collection, if only for hygiene and not ending up a plague-infested rathole).

Otherwise you're all going to be living in an A Clockwork Orange style future with roving gangs of poorly-educated violently disaffected youth‡ who can't tell the difference between a licentious and a repressed British era. Because NOT THE SAME THING AT ALL!

‡ Trust me, you'll feel so much better when you find out that jack-booted young thug who's bashing in your windows and setting your cat on fire⁑ has a fine grasp of Shakespearean irony and you can bite your thumb at him when he asks if it's a dagger he sees before him shortly before you cut his throat in the church.

Never set the cat on fire. And don't start an interstellar war.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I really do look forward to reading the comments you make on your postings (even the comments with your edits ). Thank you for bringing a smile to me, as I update threads.
Quote:
Never set the cat on fire. And don't start an interstellar war.
Spoiler:
Never Set the Cat On Fire - Frank Hayes
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'll second what Debs says.

So many posters do nothing more than copy/paste/run, as if suffering from a case of irritable bowel syndrome.

Your comments are hilarious, more than likely better than the books themselves!

I would like to see a novel from you. I would buy it. Just remember (if that happens), DON'T post it in the Freebies forum. --- You know which forum to post!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
I've enjoyed your comments a lot, as well. Thank you!

Britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Of Noble Birth, by Brenda Novak, is a backlist historical pirate romance originally published by HarperCollins' HarperTorch imprint, and now offered free courtesy of the author and AllRomance eBooks as their final 12 Days of Christmas countdown selection.
Finally! They give away a normal romance. Had this one on my wishlist over at Smashwords for a long time. She is a well known HQ Author.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert