Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I plan to sell in the summer of 2007 LBOOK on a retail price 165-180 euros (200-220 US dollars). It is discussed with Jinke. In it to year we can sell LBOOK in the Europe at the price of 250 euros (300 dollars) in view of cost of transfer by mail.

Problems with English, German, French already are not present. I can install any east or western European font. The menu can be adapted for a week. Now the device has the menu in English, Russian and a Ukranian language. The truth is a small problem. V8 works exclusively with monospace fonts. But we have changed the program of job with fonts and it has improved quality of display of the text.

Problems with Hanlin Printer are eliminated in our adapted version. In the near future there will be new version Folf Maker in Russian and English languages. It while the modernized copy of Chinese variant Folf Maker, but we plan to create own variant with the convenient interface and greater functionality.
LVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #17
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@LVD now we're talking!

Thanks for your input...this is really getting me excited.
250€ would be a great price, I'd really consider buying one right away at that price...^^

You said you have a new version of Wolf Printer...could you send it by mail or put a download link up (send me a PM if you want to email)? English menu and stuff would be no problem, and apart from the Printer software I don't actually need anything.
How are you planning to sell the Hanlins in Europe? Webshop?
Thanks.

Oh...btw...can you show us some "screenshots" of your "ported" device? Seeing some actual text displayed in english (I can send you an example .txt if you like) would also be nice...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-17-2006 at 02:59 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Program TXT Reader not correctly formats lines and makes a hyphenation. We work above this problem. All will be fast OK.

As soon as new version Hanlin Printer will pass testing I shall send you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test1.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version

Name:	test2.jpg
Views:	1901
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	1145  

Last edited by LVD; 06-17-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks.
The screenshots were made using wolf reader?
The lines look rather crooked...and spaces are also a bit odd, but it's readable.
Interesting that you use landscape view...I think I would prefer normal...but i guess that's just personal preference.

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-18-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #20
LVD
Connoisseur

No, it is program TXT Reader for reading ordinary txt-files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test3.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1146  
Advert
Old 06-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #21
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Ah...so that is why the lines are slightly strange? But i haven't seen any hyphenation...

Thanks for the screenshots...does the leather "pouch" belong to the device or was it manufactured for it? It seems to fit perfectly and looks good...^^

Can you tell me how/when you plan to sell the devices? i'd rather order one from russia than from china...I guess i'll have to pay Import VAT in both cases, but at least Russia isn't quite as far away and shipping should be slightly less expensive...

But before I actually buy one I'll try to press as much information out of you as I can..^^

Interesting book by the way...what is it?

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-18-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I think it is native txt or html file. In wolf format you cann't zoom text yet. But in txt or html it works ok. ))
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Interesting!

I just gave the Hanlin Printer 2.1 another try, and this time it worked.

I used it to print a pdf file and it worked fine. Only trouble is, that the PDf was not reflowable and the resulting .wol would probybly be unreadably small on the V8/V2.

But it's progress!

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-18-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #24
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@LVD + TaKir

Can you give us some input on how well the PIM features of the V8 work?
I don't need a super-computer in my ebook reader, but a simple calender and note-taker (shopping list?) would be pretty cool for an epaper device!

I have also prepared a well-formatted html file That I would like to test on the V8 HTML viewer. Contact me by PM and I'll send the >400k html for you to try and post screenshots of...if you like...^^

Thanks.

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-18-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #25
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
forgive me for playing devil's advocate, but from what I gather LVD has bought a number of V8's and is preparing to sell them in the European market.
He is also stating that Jinke will never get the V2's working and that the Linux software will never work.
I'm afraid that LVD has a vested interest in talking down the V2, in favour of his 'hacked for europeans' V8's.
Secondly the point's he has are fairly moot...
The V2 does have a 200mhz processor so of course the battery life is going to be shorter but to be honest if i can run a V2 without recharging and read half of what the v8 stats are (5000 page views) thats still 8 novels worth...so probably 3 weeks of reading between recharges. which will be plenty for me.
Secondly that V2 takes 15 seconds to boot. hmmm first of all that is not proven, and secondly I don't believe it. Linux embedded has a very small footprint and has been used on lots of devices and is not reknowned for going slow.
My point is I'm not going to rush out and get a V8 until a sample version of the V2 is out and has been tested by the good people of this forum, and as long as Jinke don't do an 'Irex' and can get samples out to us early adopters by the end of thismonth, I'll take all of what LVD say's with a pinch of salt.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #26
LVD
Connoisseur

Dear THJahar

You in many respects are right. But if it is possible, some remarks. I wrote NOT against V2. I wished to show, that V8 has the advantages and prospects, for example in the market of Ukraine and Russia. V8 has big dynamics to reduction of price, than V2. For our market it is very important. V8 it is not planned to sales in the European market. For the rich Europe is iREX all for 800 US dollars.

We now develop cheap variant PocketeBOOK for our market with SVGA e-INK the screen 5!!! Inches with starting by 160-170 US dollars. It is simplified variant V8.

V2 We plan to sell in projects where development of the special software is necessary and where the price is not the rigid factor.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #27
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@LVD

believe me, not everyboday in europe is very fond of the idea of paying 670€ for a "book"...

About the V8/V2 thing...I'll be waiting for the results of the V2 "launch" and whether Jinke will send me a sample. Since June is almost over I won't have to wait for long.
In the meantime I'll keep trying to colect information about the V8 (adapted version) to see how well it handles english language. I'm quickly starting to lose interest in PDF ebooks, because they seem to be made mainly/only for big screens, so I wouldn't be too sorry to see that format not supported.
If .txt and .html work well enough in the near future I'll probybly just get the V8 to use until the next generation of ebook readers arrives.
A screen-size that is small than the V8 wouldn't be interesting for me, because reading from a small screen means either small fonts or lots of page-turning and both are not what I'd like to see.

I have another question by the way...is there any way to use a different font-size on the V8 (or to zoom out to fit more characters onto a page in .txt or html? also, does the V8 properly support italics and bold type-settings? Many books rely on using those to stress certain words or "mark" irony, so it could be a problem if this wasn't supported.

Thanks.