Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Please be sure you already jailbreaked your Kindle DXG (download this file and apply update_jailbreak_0.11.N_dxg_install.bin first, before and separate from the contrast update). Also, the update only works on the Kindle DX Graphite. If you have some other DX I could try to make a package but I wouldn't be able to test it.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Bablu
Bablu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX

Dear Isothem,

Thanks a lot for the info. But a little query as Jailbreaking is new for me.

I am accessing 3G services of Amazon. So after jail breaking will the 3G be working on my Kindle DXG ? Can I reverse back to original software anytime ?

Expecting your expert opinion on this.
Bablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
jailbreaking is a tiny change.
To be accurate it´s not really ¨jailbreaking¨ in the phone sense.
It´s actually ¨Rooting¨.

Yes it will still work on 3g as this is totally unrelated.
(I have a dx, with 3g and have done this)

Yes you can rollback the change at any time. But I doubt you will want to.

Last edited by twobob; 03-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good evening. I've just installed and it does nothing... Update succesfully, press and hold Shift+Up (in the fiveway), nothing, Shift+Down nothing, Shift+Press fiveway nothing. My DXG is in 2.5.8.
Thank you for your help

Edit: ok, just for PDF. I'm sorry...

Last edited by anonimo200; 03-22-2013 at 01:31 PM.
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay I ran this in on the dx 2.5.8 to give it a test.

Will post something when I have it
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
twobob

I am seeing much the same lack of behaviour. Will dig further when I get a bit more time.
I DID check the contrast binary was "somewhere" in the path.

And even ran it manually, and checked the waitforkey was 41 1 etc...

But manually pushing values in the relevant /proc seemed to have no effect also...

Will check my facts.

Last edited by twobob; 03-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #22
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I just tried uninstalling, verifying everything was removed, and then reinstalling, but it works here on this DXG.

twobob: You should get an inverted screen by running this command:
Code:
echo "19 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0" > /proc/eink_fb/update_display
If you don't, it seems the new driver didn't get applied. Please check the size of /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal.ko which should be 66431 (original is 65936).
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
twobob

okay Ill test that now...

Quote:
echo "19 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0" > /proc/eink_fb/update_display
Didnt seem to do anything...

Size of file in question pictured.

File attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_291.png
Views:	371
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	103642  
Attached Files
File Type: zip eink_fb_hal.ko.zip (22.2 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by twobob; 03-29-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
isotherm
Connoisseur

Sorry, the test to invert the screen should have been:
Code:
echo "99 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display
echo "18 0" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display
Some other test commands:
Code:
ps auwx | grep contrast
ls -l `find /etc -name *contrast`
ls -l /usr/sbin/contrast
md5sum `find /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink`
Note that I didn't test compatibility with any hotkey launchers. If those aren't able to share access to the keyboard, it might not work.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
twobob

Im not bothered about launchers...
Not short of them...

Hell I might make it voice activated

Will test RSN... bath time.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
twobob

yeah that worked great.

Okay so the launcher doesnt work.

Ill make a kual wrapper then.

Job done.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
isotherm
Connoisseur

Thanks for the report. Do you have the result of the other test commands? In case someone tries to install the package without KUAL.
Code:
ps auwx | grep contrast
ls -l `find /etc -name *contrast`
ls -l /usr/sbin/contrast
md5sum `find /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink`
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
twobob

As requested : )

[root@kindle root]# ps auwx | grep contrast
Code:
root       673  0.0  0.0    644   120 pts/3    R+   19:09   0:00 grep contrast
root      2000  0.0  0.3   1800   384 ?        S    Mar28   0:00 /usr/sbin/contrast

[root@kindle root]# ls -l `find /etc -name *contrast`
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          442 Mar 22 17:10 /etc/init.d/contrast

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Mar 22 17:10 /etc/rc5.d/S75contrast -> /etc/init.d/contrast

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Mar 22 17:10 /etc/rc6.d/S19contrast -> /etc/init.d/contrast

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Mar 22 17:10 /etc/rcS.d/S75contrast -> /etc/init.d/contrast

[root@kindle root]# ls -l /usr/sbin/contrast
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        15081 Mar 22 17:10 /usr/sbin/contrast
[root@kindle root]# md5sum `find /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink`
Code:
521147fa7f9eeab65ee0583199371c09  /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal_broads.ko

7d17e40e351cba04c4cf5d512a23d940  /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal.ko

b7cfc9037cececd164972a8495e7ddad  /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal_emu.ko

c118f440e705bdae75501319eaa7d10b  /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/legacy/eink_fb_shim.ko

Last edited by twobob; 03-29-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
twobob

wait...

It's working...

For sure.

I pressed SHIFT + UP on the 5 way and the contrast swapped from inversion to regular...

Then I repeated the process (just like I would have expected it to work, and per your directions... and now it seems to be working???)

No explanation as to why I'm afraid.

I see the changes now and they are noticeable, as is the little tell-tale flash as the contrast changes..

I wonder why it didn't work before? Could it need "initialising" in some way?
perhaps that why you never noticed, since obviously yours is always in that initialised state?

That's all I can think of.

I'll reboot and try again.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #30
twobob

rebooted.

Still works.

Why? "I got nothing."

but it works YAY!!! thanks