Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
K2 freezes with highlights

I created a txt file with a list of books by a given author in series order. I wanted to be able to highlight the books as I read them. I converted this file to mobi with MobiPocket Creator.

When I highlight, and click the controller to end the highlight, my k2 freezes. The only way I can get out of the freeze is to do a hard reboot. When I re-open the file, the selected item is highlighted just fine. When I go to highlight the next item, same thing happens - my k2 freezes solid.

I'm not going too fast - I know that too fast an action can freeze the kindle. I'm actually going fairly slowly - but no matter what, this happens.

what am I doing wrong? or is this a known problem? and is there any way around it?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does this only happen with this one file? If so, have you tried removing it from your Kindle, and re-adding it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
I would second HarryT's suggestion.

Also, does this happen with other files/books or just the one you mentioned? I ask because on my K2, highlighting would often freeze my Kindle so that I had to re-set it -- very annoying! Once I removed a large quantity of books from my K2, however, highlighting almost always works fine. Freeing up space on your Kindle could help with the issue.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've got a ton of books on my Kindle - seem to be incapable of taking off read books, even though everything is backed up on my computer. And I did successfully highlight in another file, so it may just be this one file for some reason. I'll try taking it off and re-adding it. (or maybe I'll just take the read books off my kindle - that might be easier!)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
guineapirate
guineapirate began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Also check your software, most the time one-off things like this are caused by out of date software.
guineapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
How large is the 'my clippings.txt' file? You may want to back it up, delete it, and start it anew: each time you add a note/highlight/bookmark, it writes to this file and then has to re-index it. The larger the file, the longer it takes to do this. In the meantime, your Kindle may be effectively unresponsive.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote