Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Top narrators in 2018

I posted the following in the thread about favorite books for 2018:

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
ETA another synchronicity: two of the fiction books were audiobooks and they had the same narrator (Frederick Davidson).
I knew I'd also listed to more books read by Davidson than anyone else. I counted up and I'm currently on my 14th book by him. He read the types of book I tend to like.

So I wondered what were others' most-listened-to narrators this past year? Not necessarily the favorite, although obviously there will be a lot of overlap because why the heck would you listen to a lot of someone unless s/he were a favorite, but the most?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I didn't listen to any repeat narrators during 2018. Only 1 audiobook in 2018 was narrated by someone that I had listened to in past years (Lara Sawalha).

My listening is very diverse and spread across many genres, countries, modern and classics, fiction and nonfiction, etc. Also I don't listen to series. Perhaps that explains the lack of repeats.

Although I do find overlap with books I've read (not listened to) when I look at what else favorite narrators have voiced. Or, I notice that they've narrated books that are on my TBR list and think to myself that I'll get to them someday...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This has been an interesting year in narrators. Only a few books with either of my all time favourite pair, Donada Peters (aka many others) and Patrick Tull. But others I like have gotten a lot of play. The most listened to narrator this year is Daniel Thomas May, who does the CJ Cherryh Foreigner novels, and I'm working my way through them for a serious re-read. His narration is superb, but he doesn't do any other books I find of interest.

Next up is Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, whose narration of the Peter Grant novels from Ian Hamilton, is inspired. I've also got a Dickens here that he narrated, but haven't had time to read it yet.

Another was Daniel Weyman, reading several P. D. James books.

Other than those, however, there have been many narrators who were acceptable to good. But nothing that went beyond that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I posted the following in the thread about favorite books for 2018:

I knew I'd also listed to more books read by Davidson than anyone else. I counted up and I'm currently on my 14th book by him. He read the types of book I tend to like.

So I wondered what were others' most-listened-to narrators this past year? Not necessarily the favorite, although obviously there will be a lot of overlap because why the heck would you listen to a lot of someone unless s/he were a favorite, but the most?
Based on those specific criteria, Sean Barrett who narrates David Gemmell's Drenai books. Oddly enough, he also narrates Antony Beevor's WW II history books, which I also bought this past year as well as Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which I also listened to this year, so I listened to quite a few of his books this year. Kind of odd since I like him well enough, but it I were to list my favorite narrators, he would not be in my top 5 ( in no particular order - Oliver Wyman (2 this year), Jim Masters, Tim Curry, Wil Wheaton, Nick Podehl).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I took a closer look at my Frederick Davidson listens and the 14 books represented eight different authors. He just read the kinds of books I like. Second place for me, Simon Vance, also read various (and very different) authors. Third place was Nadia May and not coincidentally, those are my three favorite narrators. Other duplicate narrators were Timothy West and Jonathan Cecil.

Oh, and Davidson, Vance and Cecil shared an author, P. G. Wodehouse; Vance and West shared Anthony Trollope; Vance and May shared Muriel Spark.

Last edited by issybird; 12-25-2018 at 09:13 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I took a closer look at my Frederick Davidson listens and the 14 books represented eight different authors. He just read the kinds of books I like. Second place for me, Simon Vance, also read various (and very different) authors. Third place was Nadia May and not coincidentally, those are my three favorite narrators. Other duplicate narrators were Timothy West and Jonathan Cecil.

Oh, and Davidson, Vance and Cecil shared an author, P. G. Wodehouse; Vance and West shared Anthony Trollope; Vance and May shared Muriel Spark.
Geeze, I totally forgot about Simon Vance in my favorites list. I sure do wish that Narrator was a field on the Library web page in audible.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a searchable item -- just type the narrator's name in the library search box, and while it won't show results as you're typing, it will search and find.

(Oh, and Simon Vance is a perennial favourite, but not a particularly active one this year.)
Old 12-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It is a searchable item -- just type the narrator's name in the library search box, and while it won't show results as you're typing, it will search and find.

(Oh, and Simon Vance is a perennial favourite, but not a particularly active one this year.)
Not to go too off thread, but the audible app list the book with the title, the author and the narrator. The web page doesn't include the web page. That's what I was talking about.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Not to go too off thread, but the audible app list the book with the title, the author and the narrator. The web page doesn't include the web page. That's what I was talking about.
Yes, I know it doesn't list it. But it is searchable from that same web page.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
When I look on Librivox for audio books, I look for those read by Elizabeth Klett.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The audiobook for James Patterson "The President is Missing" is really top notch and is read by Dennis Quaid as The President. It has one or two other people on the audiobook as well and some classical music added in the background off and on.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
When I look on Librivox for audio books, I look for those read by Elizabeth Klett.
I'm not a huge fan of Librivox, but Poor Miss Finch by Wilkie Collins is one that was so well done I'd have been happy to pay for a copy!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote