Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For some reason, I was seeing £109 and not seeing $109. My mistake. Kobo is selling for $129.99.

if you buy from Chapters, the cost is about $98.43 (with the exchange rate). The Touch 2.0 is about $68.15. This does not include any shipping charges or the cost of a case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
Well I was going to wait for Xmas sale to get basic Kobo. However I really want microSD slot and new one doesn't seem to have it. Should I rush to get the old Touch with microSD? Thoughts?

I like to keep most of my books on a memory card in case device suddenly dies I can easily move the card to another device. Otherwise I may not be able to get access to books in internal memory if reader is really dead.

Or maybe it is not a big deal as I could always backup entire internal memory content on a computer. Thoughts?
The thing is, if the Kobo Reader is really dead and in no way recoverable, then you just open it up, pull out the SD card, put it in the SD card slot of the card reader and copy the content off the SD card. Problem solved.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Hmmm... no "Touch" on the Chapters site when I just checked now.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
lol. they seem to have removed those pages
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #20
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, if the Kobo Reader is really dead and in no way recoverable, then you just open it up, pull out the SD card, put it in the SD card slot of the card reader and copy the content off the SD card. Problem solved.
I never looked inside. So it is not using a memory chip that is installed directly on circuit board? It is using distinct memory card that is easy to pull out?

thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
To me, buying an e-reader without front light is a bad idea...
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
I never looked inside. So it is not using a memory chip that is installed directly on circuit board? It is using distinct memory card that is easy to pull out?

thanks
The majority of Kobo devices have an internal SD card. As far as the modern Kobo devices go, only the Aura and original model of the Touch had flash memory.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo Touch 2 and calibre

At the moment, calibre will not support the Kobo Touch 2. To add support, I need the device id. I believe I know what it is, but would like someone with the device to confirm it.

If anyone has a Kobo Touch 2, could you please follow the instructions in My device is not detected by calibre and post the results. It is really only the last step that is needed, but checking all of them is probably a good idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #24
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
At the moment, calibre will not support the Kobo Touch 2. To add support, I need the device id.
Big thanks for calibre.
Have you (as a honoured developer) asked Kobo directly?
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsek View Post
Big thanks for calibre.
Have you (as a honoured developer) asked Kobo directly?
Yes, but my timing and timezones means I haven't had a reply yet.

And thanks, I'm glad you find it useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #26
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geared View Post
Kobo Touch 2.0 – The Next Generation of a Fan Favourite
http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/kobo-touch...-fan-favourite
I have to say I'm completely underwhelmed. How is this even a 2.0? It's barely a 1.3. They actually removed more than they added. "Let's take off that nasty button, give the processor a speed bump and... get rid of that SD card slot. That thing only causes problems. That should do it. What do you mean, should we use the new screens? We had to buy a minimum order of 1000 of the old ones! We'll be using those in the next 2 models as well!"
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
I have to say I'm completely underwhelmed. How is this even a 2.0? It's barely a 1.3. They actually removed more than they added. "Let's take off that nasty button, give the processor a speed bump and... get rid of that SD card slot. That thing only causes problems. That should do it. What do you mean, should we use the new screens? We had to buy a minimum order of 1000 of the old ones! We'll be using those in the next 2 models as well!"

The Kobo Touch 2.0 is to compete with the Kindle Touch Basic. The only thing that's better (hardware wise) about the 2.0 vs the Basic is that the screen resolution is 1024x758 instead of the Basic's 800x600.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #28
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo Touch 2.0 is to compete with the Kindle Touch Basic. The only thing that's better (hardware wise) about the 2.0 vs the Basic is that the screen resolution is 1024x758 instead of the Basic's 800x600.
According to the Kobo blog, the Touch 2 has 800x600 resolution so no difference in that either.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #29
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I would rather it had external uSD card slot and was a 5 inch reader. 5 inch readers are very handy. People that see mine want one. Make it with front light and sell them in military stores. They would sell well.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
According to the Kobo blog, the Touch 2 has 800x600 resolution so no difference in that either.
Other blogs have said it's an HD screen. Well, we'll see when it's released what it really is. If it is only 800x600, then it's no better (hardware wise).