Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #76
stagfighter
stagfighter began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
nexus 7

I've updated calibre but when I launch calibre companion my nexus just keeps asking if I've updated calibre.
How should I proceed?
Thanks
stagfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #77
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagfighter View Post
I've updated calibre but when I launch calibre companion my nexus just keeps asking if I've updated calibre.
How should I proceed?
Thanks
Did you start the smartdevice service in calibre? See FAQ item #1 in this thread.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #78
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
I downloaded this app. The syncing to my Transformer Prime was a breeze. Awesome app!!
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #79
Hondo1
Hondo1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
I downloaded and installed Calibre Companion with no issues and was able to transfer books to my Nexus 7.
My preferred reader is Moon+Reader. When I open a book in it, I can see the cover but can't navigate at all. Can't turn pages or do anything except stay on the cover page. Have tried both importing it into MR or simply tapping the book within the Calibre Companion. I also installed Aldiko and can read and navigate books without any problem in the reader.
Some of the books listed in Calibre Companion will not open. I either get a message that says the file can't be open because it is not in PDF format (all my files are in epub format) or it says that it can't be opened because there is no app that opens these files.
Would love to be able to read them in Moon+Reader and get some the bugs fixed. It's so simple to transfer books and love not having to have a cable to connect.
Hondo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #80
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post
I downloaded and installed Calibre Companion with no issues and was able to transfer books to my Nexus 7. My preferred reader is Moon+Reader.
I too have a Nexus 7 and use Moon+Reader to read my books.

Quote:
When I open a book in it, I can see the cover but can't navigate at all. Can't turn pages or do anything except stay on the cover page. Have tried both importing it into MR or simply tapping the book within the Calibre Companion.
I just went through 20 books and I can not replicate your problem. All books open flawlessly and navigation is normal for Moon+Reader. I also have tried multiple other reading apps without a hitch.

Quote:
Some of the books listed in Calibre Companion will not open. I either get a message that says the file can't be open because it is not in PDF format (all my files are in epub format) or it says that it can't be opened because there is no app that opens these files.
Unless I'm mistaken the above errors are from your system not from CC. When you click to open a book via CC it is handed of to your system and similar to Windows, file associations are used to determine what App or Apps can be used for a particular format.

When you click on a book in calibre companion do you get the system pop-up that asks you which App to use to read the book? It sounds like your system (not CC) is trying to open your books in a PDF reader.

Quote:
Would love to be able to read them in Moon+Reader and get some the bugs fixed.
I may be wrong and surely Charles will weigh in sometime later. But this is the first report here where I think the bug is on your device and not with CC. So while you wait for Charles, if I were you I would do the following.
  1. Connect your Nexus 7 to calibre and delete all of the books you sent.
  2. Disconnect your Nexus 7 from calibre.
  3. Go to Google Play and ensure your CC app is updated, if not, update your CC app.
  4. Uninstall Moon+Reader.
  5. Power off your Nexus 7, which is not the same as putting it to sleep.
  6. Power your Nexus 7 back up, it should show "Google" then the colored X while booting up the device.
  7. Reinstall Moon+Reader.
  8. Connect your Nexus 7 to calibre and transfer 10 books. Wait for the Jobs in the lower right of calibre to stop spinning.
  9. Once the job is complete. Disconnect your Nexus 7.
  10. Try and open a book via CC by clicking on the book.
  11. If given an option choose Moon+Reader.
Report back with an update.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #81
tweebee
Enthusiast
tweebee doesn't littertweebee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Just updated my calibre and saw info about Calibre Companion, which I am really ecstatic to see! I am a moderator for a few tablet forums and questions often come up about challenges in copying books from calibre to the tablets. Now I can direct them to this solution! I am looking forward to beta testing your app!
tweebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #82
Hondo1
Hondo1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Walt,

Thanks for the advice. I did all the steps as you suggested and here's how it wraps up:

I can open the book from CC in Moon+Reader now but only if I open it through CC. If I try and import them into Moon+Reader and then open them, they become very unstable, with MR either crashing, freezing or having the cover of the book start flickering in and out. And I have no navigation into the book if I import. It doesn't bother me that I have to open them originally from CC, I just think the behavior was odd. Once I've opened them in MR, I can continue to read them from there and not have to go back to CC to grab them again.

I appreciate your help!
Hondo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #83
readerbeagle
readerbeagle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Blew me away, really love new CC app. Discovered reading the instructions is still important. I might even suggest some form of check box system for new installs. This would insure that all of us that think we are don't need instructions, would be gently led to actually follow the simple set included with splash screen of app.

I transferred over files easily, once I realised I simply had to use the same pick and send method I used to use with Kindle.
Once transferred I used Mantano and set up my sync folder with locations from CC. This worked first time.

Then I realized that inside CC I could have just clicked individually on books and opened into Aldiko or Mantano or Moon Reader.

Very pleased with this app as I had sort of stopped using Calibre when I went to Android Asus Prime T200.

What I would like is to have the book description show on the screen with book cover. I would also like to be able to cycle through all the books in this mode eg. go from one book/cover/description to the next in sequence.

Really good; excited to watch as project develops.
readerbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #84
dave1p
dave1p began at the beginning.

Device: NATPC m009
Brilliant App - Thanks
dave1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #85
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I'm probably missing something that everyone else seems to know or do.
Using Calibre version 0.8.65, Windows XP, Nexus 7, there is no Connect/Share icon in the Calibre top menu. So....?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #86
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Using Calibre version 0.8.65, Windows XP, Nexus 7, there is no Connect/Share icon in the Calibre top menu. So....?
There was when you first installed calibre. Try right clicking on any book in the book list.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #87
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm probably missing something that everyone else seems to know or do.
So.. you may have adjusted the Look and Feel of Calibre at some time and 86'd it then.
Not to worry: Preferences: Toolbar: Main (and/or Main when device connected): If Connect/share is in the Left list... Make it go to the Right List
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #88
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There was when you first installed calibre. Try right clicking on any book in the book list.
Not so. In trying to solve this problem I uninstalled Cal. and then reinstalled. Same problem. No icon for Connect/Share in the top Action Menu. Clicking on a book also was fruitless.
Interesting! I installed the 8.65 on my laptop and there was the icon and I connected with the Nexus 7 - no problem, worked great. The Desktop is hard wired to the router and the laptop is wireless. Also the laptop is Windows 7.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #89
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
So.. you may have adjusted the Look and Feel of Calibre at some time and 86'd it then.
Not to worry: Preferences: Toolbar: Main (and/or Main when device connected): If Connect/share is in the Left list... Make it go to the Right List
That did it! Thanks much. I must have used that menu at sometime in the past but the past is getting further and further away.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #90
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not so. In trying to solve this problem I uninstalled Cal. and then reinstalled. Same problem. No icon for Connect/Share in the top Action Menu. Clicking on a book also was fruitless.
Interesting! I installed the 8.65 on my laptop and there was the icon and I connected with the Nexus 7 - no problem, worked great. The Desktop is hard wired to the router and the laptop is wireless. Also the laptop is Windows 7.
Uninstall DOES NOT remove Preference SETTINGS (or any Library)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote