Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
INQ and Rdio

I have mentioned on other threads that on 2 occasions, I have seen my Vox wake itself up out of sleep mode. INQ and Rdio were mentioned on another thread as possibly waking Vox up from sleep. I don't use these, at least not intentionally anyway. So I have some questions if anyone knows.

First, does INQ need to be running, or is it safe to turn them off? When I check my running services, I have one process and 5 services running for INQ. Is there anything else in the Vox that needs those running? I do not use Facebook and I never will, but, much to my surprise, I kind of get a kick out of the Pulse feature. I likely won't comment there (although I never say never, LOL!), but I enjoy seeing how many others might be reading the same book I am. Does Pulse need INQ?

And Rdio, can't see myself using that either, but if I want to, I'm quite happy to manually start it up. I sure don't need it running in the background all time.

Final question: If I manually shut off these 2 items, will they be come back on if the Vox is powered down and then restarted, or will they stay turned off unless I start them up again?

Can one of the Kobo developers chime in here?

Thanks!
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
They don't need to be running, I've actually uninstalled them. Pulse doesn't use the INQ at all. No need to worry about that.

I can say they'll probably come back on in the background when you shut off and turn back on. globe2go does as well, but that I noticed starts up shortly after force quitting.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I would also make sure to delete any widgets relating to those apps.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
How do you uninstall INQ/RDIO I thought you couldn't uninstall apps that came with the Vox?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
If you root your vox you can.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Or adb. See the sticky guide thread. Disabling is better. With 8gb, 20mb don't do much.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I would also make sure to delete any widgets relating to those apps.
All I did was delete the widgets. I should check to see if they are still running but I have had no issues so I don't really bother.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yeah, my vox is rooted so I've removed all the apps I don't use and will never use. It's not so much the memory on the card as the taking up space in the app list.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
All I did was delete the widgets. I should check to see if they are still running but I have had no issues so I don't really bother.
To do this, you just drag the app and drop it down to the trash bin, correct?

Wondering if there's any adverse affects of deleting the widgets?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
To do this, you just drag the app and drop it down to the trash bin, correct?

Wondering if there's any adverse affects of deleting the widgets?
It doesn't actually delete the widget entirely. I can still re-add it to one of my home screens. Which is why I'm not completely sure if they are inactive.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Or adb. See the sticky guide thread. Disabling is better. With 8gb, 20mb don't do much.
Can you disable them without rooting? I can kill them and delete the widgets fine.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Yes. See the sticky guide thread, please.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
hieronymos
Groupie

Sorry I told nonsense. Not covered in the guide.

But this should do it: connect with ADB (you don't need root on your device).
See this for Ubuntu: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=adb

Then:

adb root (since we're on a cable we can get root temporarily)
adb shell pm list packages - will list all packages, find which one you want
adb shell pm disable [name of the package]

you're set.

By the way, my list is:

package:com.android.quicksearchbox
package:com.kobobooks.android.twitterstub
package:ca.jamdat.flight.scrabblefree
package:com.kobobooks.android.facebookstub
package:com.inqmobile.android.facebook
package:com.inqmobile.suite.b
package:com.zinio.android.settings
package:com.newspaperdirect.pressreader.android
package:com.rdio.android.ui
package:com.newspaperdirect.globe2go.android
package:com.inqmobile.android.facebook.apps.people
package:com.zinio.mobile.android.reader
package:com.kobobooks.android.gmailstub
package:com.merriamwebster

So these are safe.

Add: copy paste'd over to the sticky thread.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-25-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Thanks!
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #15
damoose
damoose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Touch and Vox
I'm seeing this wake from sleep since the latest patch. Wakes, then sleeps after a few seconds (unless I unlock it of course). I haven't seen a pattern as of yet.
damoose is offline   Reply With Quote