Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #76
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
new bugfix/maintenance build of fbKindle is available for download :

- a "blank screen on startup" issue addressed
- user-friendly style settings now come out of-the-box
- added support for CP1250 encoding scheme
- better styled menus and dialogs (see share/FBReader/default/stylesheet.qss)
- custom position indicator doesn't move with the bottom margin
- library view now looks slightly better

To install:
- download fbKindle-bin.tar.gz archive using the link above
- make sure you have the latest launchpad installed
- "uninstall" current version of fbKindle by removing the fbKindle directory. Make sure you have a backup of your custom settings, if any
- (on kindle) create directory named customupdates and transfer the fbKindle-bin.tar.gz archive there
- (on kindle) enter (sequentially press and release) the following key combination:
Code:
Shift Shift I

you'll see the
Code:
 ^ [ Shift I]

at the bottom of the screen, indicating that your command has been accepted.
- wait (usually it takes up to 2-3 minutes) until the
Code:
[Success!]

indication appears at the bottom of the screen.
- at this point fbKindle is ready for use. Enter
Code:
Shift F R

in order to launch it.

Jan-12-2011 bugfix/maintenance build:
- dialog navigation/parameter setting issues addressed
- no more crashes while in Library View (it is still ugly)
- now hosted @ mobileread.com

Last edited by h1uke; 01-13-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: new location/new bugfixes
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #77
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Thanks h1uke, works great!
Too bad the options are still not all accessable...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #78
zetlorf
zetlorf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the upgrade!
I like fbKindle very much, but my main displeasure is related to library view - it's to ugly and complicated, i prefer the original Kindle-view, more simple & clear. If this would be fixed, fbkindle would be the perfect interface for K3.
zetlorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #79
xlendi
xlendi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G, Nokia N810
h1uke, great job! Thank you for the cool update!
xlendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #80
blanca_luz
blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle DXi-Touch-Keyboard-FireHD; Nook Touch Glowlight; Sony PRS-T1...
Once again, thanks for all the work.

It's great FBkindle is alive
blanca_luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #81
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Notes on the latests (Dec) update

Hi

I just thought that I might report on two anomalies that I have uncovered:
1) As an experiment I tried putting my normal kindle documents folder in my fbkindle book path. this appeared to work as I then saw multiple pages in my library view. however, when I attempted to open a book it appeared to crash fbkindle. I was able to restart it easily though. So much for that experiment or stress test.

2) I have an epub with a lot of footnotes. (Fool by Christopher Moore) Fbkindle shows the indicators for the footnotes but doesn't appear to support any way to display them. When I attempted to use the 5 way controller to scroll down the page as I would do with the Kindle reader I was able to once again crash fbkindle. This is a more serious problem since it could be a common thing to accidently touch the 5 way button while reading.

Other than these two items I am enjoying the alternate software and do realize that it is still a work in progress.

Many thanks for this delightful option.
yecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #82
xlendi

Two more small bucks:

It's sometimes unstable to use "multitasking" (to have opened one document in fbKindle and simultaneously the other one in Kindle-original). The safest way how to use fbKindle at the moment is don't use ALT + SHIFT for switching between two modes but after reading always to close fbKindle by ALT + BACK.

It's even problem when the fbKindle falls to screen saver mode. Often Kindle woke up back to fbKindle mode correctly (or almost correctly - it's enough to use "next" of "previous" button to reload correct fbKindle screen). But sometimes Kindle falls to home screen of Kindle-original and no move is possilbe. Only solution is to close and re-open Kindle (full restart is usually not necessary).
Old 01-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #83
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
Can fbkindle be used to read my normal books I've bought from Amazon or is it just for epub files?
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #84
xlendi

fbKindle supports also mobi files without DRM. Fot the books bought by Amazon is better to use normal Kindle mode.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #85
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Small question, I have K3, in fbkindle, in Format option, I try to change Alignment to Left, but nothing in text alignment is changed (Options for Base).

Do I do something wrong, or this option is not working?
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #86
xlendi

As I see it doesn't work at the moment.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #87
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post
Small question, I have K3, in fbkindle, in Format option, I try to change Alignment to Left, but nothing in text alignment is changed (Options for Base).
you have to modify the 'Regular Paragraph' alignment option because it has a higher priority than the 'Base'.
Unfortunately, this cannot be done using the option dialog (a known bug).
you can manually modify the share/FBReader/default/config.xml :
the line
Code:
<option name="Regular Paragraph:alignment" value="4"/>
should be changed to
Code:
<option name="Regular Paragraph:alignment" value="1"/>
you can also set ...value="0", in this case the 'Base' settings will work.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #88
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Superb. Thank you very much for tip. Now it is working fine.

Now I'm finally completely satisfied with my K3 - I have almost the same style as on original Kindle software (even better, as I can modify top and bottom margins) and mainly - I can have all my 6K books sorted in folders without any delays during start up of K3.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #89
murali
murali began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is there an alternate location to download fbkindle? The link mentioned in the post above seems to be broken.
murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #90
h1uke
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by murali View Post
Is there an alternate location to download fbkindle? The link mentioned in the post above seems to be broken.
Unfortunately, not. The link should be operational again in the next two or three weeks.