Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, on my 505, the part of the case that extends to the right is a prefect place to hold the reader using one hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
yeah the clips on my sony case are a little white like they would get from bending plastic. especially the top clip, I don't expect it to last another 5 months
In my opinion, it's a good idea poorly executed.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #33
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, on my 505, the part of the case that extends to the right is a prefect place to hold the reader using one hand.
and the page turn button is on the leading edge too,

on the 700 though, to turn the page you swipe the screen, so it more comfortable to hold the reader then the side, and with the case on, the sharpness of the case digs into the hand between the thumb and finger
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #34
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Unfortunately, Sony's "ingenious" clip is also extremely fragile & breakable, and I have *TWO* totally useless Sony covers because they "idiotically" broke. Without trauma or droppage. Just broke. And Sony offers no replacement parts.

I'd much rather have nice, sturdy leather corner strips. (Only one has a bit of elastic, to allow you to insert or remove the reader). Just my opinion. Been burnt twice, trying something different this time.

Sayhello
They do in fact offer replacement OEM cover,I called them a few weeks back-and they informed me that they cost about $104 !!!!

And I agree,especially after my experience with the plastic pieces.I had a similarly precarious situation with my 505 cover-as for some reason it came loose and the top part of the plastic was not sitting properly with the reader.

I think I'm going to order a cover (or two maybe) this week.Have to decide on the color.....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
They do in fact offer replacement OEM cover,I called them a few weeks back-and they informed me that they cost about $104 !!!!

And I agree,especially after my experience with the plastic pieces.I had a similarly precarious situation with my 505 cover-as for some reason it came loose and the top part of the plastic was not sitting properly with the reader.

I think I'm going to order a cover (or two maybe) this week.Have to decide on the color.....
$104????? That is RIDICULOUS!!!!

Actually, I was talking about replacement *CLIPS*, so that I could salvage the 2 covers I already have...

Sayhello
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #36
Pangolyn
Enthusiast
Pangolyn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
just bought mine...
Pangolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #37
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolyn View Post
just bought mine...
... and what color? You know color choices say a lot about a person! I don't know what they say, but...

Is this (color choice) "poll" material?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #38
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Unfortunately, Sony's "ingenious" clip is also extremely fragile & breakable, and I have *TWO* totally useless Sony covers because they "idiotically" broke. Without trauma or droppage. Just broke. And Sony offers no replacement parts.

I'd much rather have nice, sturdy leather corner strips. (Only one has a bit of elastic, to allow you to insert or remove the reader). Just my opinion. Been burnt twice, trying something different this time.

Sayhello
By the way, I didn't say " 'ingenious' clip" but I did say "ingenious WAY TO CLIP" which denotes the method of being clipped in (á la by the two holes) is ingenious. I'm not saying the clips themselves are an ingenious invention. Big semantic difference ;-)

I don't have any problems with the clips on mine. However, this is not to say that they can't be re-designed. The holes are not the problem. The clips could be problematic. M-Edge however could easily redesign the clip. In any case, being that I'm very careful, the clips have been no problem to me. In fact, I have even created a felt case that I sewed together to keep the cover from being blemished while I carry it in my bag.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #39
sayhello
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I don't have any problems with the clips on mine. However, this is not to say that they can't be re-designed. The holes are not the problem. The clips could be problematic. M-Edge however could easily redesign the clip. In any case, being that I'm very careful, the clips have been no problem to me. In fact, I have even created a felt case that I sewed together to keep the cover from being blemished while I carry it in my bag.
The holes are definitely not the problem. The problem is the crappy plastic clips that Sony uses. It's apparently not worth it to M-edge to design a clip that's not going to break. I am EXTREMELY careful with my case and Reader, but after a year and a half, I picked up the Reader, and it just fell out of the case (luckily onto a soft surface) because the clip had broken. I bought a replacement that broke in a month. No more clips for me.

Sayhello
Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #40
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
By the way, I didn't say " 'ingenious' clip" but I did say "ingenious WAY TO CLIP" which denotes the method of being clipped in (á la by the two holes) is ingenious. I'm not saying the clips themselves are an ingenious invention. Big semantic difference ;-)

I like the way it clips, but, its kinda useless, there is no reason to ever see the back of the reader, on the 700, the extra material that hangs over the side just hurts your hand, unlike giving it a good place to hold onto like the 505.

I liked the clip on the 500, much more.

but there is one thing I just cant stand, is the feel of the inside of the case, and the crappy plastic imitation leather they use on the case. it really feels like crap.

the case that came with the Kindle 1 was in my opinion, 100x better than the case that comes with the sony readers. (people who have it fall out just never knew what there were doing, you just have to pry the plastic wedge up a little, and its perfect. plus it feels GREAT.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #41
Pangolyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
... and what color? You know color choices say a lot about a person! I don't know what they say, but...

Is this (color choice) "poll" material?
I picked "poop" color (natural mocha). Hopefully it's not shiny. It's not pebbled.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #42
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The holes are definitely not the problem. The problem is the crappy plastic clips that Sony uses. It's apparently not worth it to M-edge to design a clip that's not going to break. I am EXTREMELY careful with my case and Reader, but after a year and a half, I picked up the Reader, and it just fell out of the case (luckily onto a soft surface) because the clip had broken. I bought a replacement that broke in a month. No more clips for me.

Sayhello
Interesting. Did you leave the reader in the case most of the time or did you remove the reader from the case often?

If the clips eventually break even if the user doesn't remove the reader frequently, then that's not good. I never remove my reader since there is no reason to do so.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #43
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I like the way it clips, but, its kinda useless, there is no reason to ever see the back of the reader, on the 700, the extra material that hangs over the side just hurts your hand, unlike giving it a good place to hold onto like the 505.

I liked the clip on the 500, much more.

but there is one thing I just cant stand, is the feel of the inside of the case, and the crappy plastic imitation leather they use on the case. it really feels like crap.

the case that came with the Kindle 1 was in my opinion, 100x better than the case that comes with the sony readers. (people who have it fall out just never knew what there were doing, you just have to pry the plastic wedge up a little, and its perfect. plus it feels GREAT.
The way the Sony PRS-700 clips could be useless to some people. On the other hand, I've found it useful to tuck pieces of paper behind the reader. Furthermore, I find the way it clips a lot more elegant and gives one the feeling of a book. I don't have the problem with the edges of the cover digging into my palm.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #44
Pangolyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Furthermore, I find the way it clips a lot more elegant and gives one the feeling of a book. I don't have the problem with the edges of the cover digging into my palm.
Clip works great for me. I wish the cover folded back a little easier--takes about a week for it to settle to the point that I can bend it all the way back without worrying about the clip pulling out of the case. Never had it fall out, but I never take it out of the case. My soon-to-arrive M-Edge cover doesn't use the clips, of course, so I'll just have to see how much I like a clipless case.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #45
sayhello
Addict

Quote:
Interesting. Did you leave the reader in the case most of the time or did you remove the reader from the case often?

If the clips eventually break even if the user doesn't remove the reader frequently, then that's not good. I never remove my reader since there is no reason to do so.
I never took it out of the case. Never. I was very afraid of dropping it without the case on it, as it felt a bit fragile without it.

Sayhello