Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
First Post - I hope for Bookeen with Ubuntu

Greetings to members.

I moved away from Windows last year and am still discovering Ubuntu.

I love reading and think I'll go for the Bookeen Cybook 3 and would like to set out the situation here as I see it: I understand that:

I should be able to download my ebooks into ubuntu (but not read, easily at least, *.prc files); after that to connect bookeen and it should show up as a usb storage device; thereafter to copy and paste the books into the appropriate folder.

The reason I am asking is that I'm not entirely sure that it will be compatible with Ubuntu: It's not that I haven't read round the subject -- rather I have over-read around it and when I do that I end up thoroughly confused

A little reassurance that it's OK for me to proceed would be very welcome.

This looks like a great forum: I thoroughly enjoyed the thread about ordering the cheaper bookeen and was on tenterhooks waiting to see whether the member actually got it at the price he ordered. The thread reads almost like a novelette.

Regards

John

Reading: Dickens Bleak House in html format on my EeeePC 901 (running Xandros).

Machines available for me: sony laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)
An old IBM ThinkCentre dual booted with Windows XP/ Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid)
When the IBM 'dies' I'll be Window-less, but can access it from a mate's if need be.
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
I should be able to download my ebooks into ubuntu (but not read, easily at least, *.prc files); after that to connect bookeen and it should show up as a usb storage device; thereafter to copy and paste the books into the appropriate folder.

A little reassurance that it's OK for me to proceed would be very welcome.
No problem at all. Go forth and purchase!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook mounts as a standard USB mass storage device (two of them, in fact). If you can see, say, a USB memory stick, you'll be able to see the CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
....thanks for the replies.
I'll certainly go ahead.

Much looking forward, chaps!

all the best,

John

PS: Also reading Bleak House in paper format but oh-boy! It sure is hard work on the hands (weighs in at 1,737 grammes ... : )
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Cybook is fully supported under linux by calibre. You will have as good of an experience under linux as you would under windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, andavane.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, the cybook is mass storage device, didn't tried it, but should works fine.

But i coudn't get mobiboket's reader to work ok wine. book's list all screwed. Any advise ? Or maybe i need to update wine ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
But i coudn't get mobiboket's reader to work ok wine. book's list all screwed. Any advise ? Or maybe i need to update wine ?
I have no idea. Is there a reason you need to run the Mobipocket reader on your Linux machine?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have no idea. Is there a reason you need to run the Mobipocket reader on your Linux machine?

BOb
Well i got my reader back, so i won't really need to read on my laptop anymore, but having a way to read prc files on linux properly would be nice.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FBReader, which I believe is available for Linux, will display DRM-free MobiPocket files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
FBReader, which I believe is available for Linux, will display DRM-free MobiPocket files.
As will Calibre's built-in reader.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
FBReader is awsome on linux. lots of cool functions that are not in most reader programs.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
FBReader is awsome on linux. lots of cool functions that are not in most reader programs.
Interesting, I've always found FBReader rather a bear to use. But then the last itme I looked at it was aeons ago. What are some of these cool functions?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

I'll try FBReader.
My E-books are drm free anyway, i'll rather spend myself the mess of re-downloading all my book everytime i reinstall windows or linux / get a new pc/reader.

Tags
bookeen, linux, ubuntu