Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
$0 books on Sony's site?

In the course of my normal book searching, I have discovered 4 normal books that retail for $0.00. I'm not sure if the price is a bug, or part of some promotion or something.

One is "The Foreign Correspondent" by Allan Furst.

Another is (ironically) "Caught Stealing" by Charlie Huston.

I'm wondering what's up with these.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh yeah, they be free There's 9 of those in the general fiction section.

Best way to check for free books is to go to a genre section, click "see all titles" and then sort by price. All the freebies will be first. Right now Harlequin has 16 free Romance titles.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Hmmm... that's odd.

I see "The Whiskey Rebels" in that free list. That's a new release hardcover from October. I wonder why it's free. (Good book by the way, I'm a David Liss fan.)
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
Hmmm... that's odd.

I see "The Whiskey Rebels" in that free list. That's a new release hardcover from October. I wonder why it's free. (Good book by the way, I'm a David Liss fan.)

Random House decided to a month or so ago.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Get them quick -- the offer will be ending soon!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Can I has them in epub?

If not...:P
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
Can I has them in epub?

Ah, no epub I'm afraid. Adobe PDF, mobi, and lit are the only formats I've seen. You can also get them at Books on Board. The offer is available until 28 February.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
Can I has them in epub?

What would be benefit of ePub versions be over LRF/LRX?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What would be benefit of ePub versions be over LRF/LRX?
Well, it could be read anywhere instead of on the Sony Reader alone, for instance (epub can be read on Iphones, computers, Bebooks, Sony Readers etc.). Assumed the book is DRM-free, of course.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True. I was thinking "what would be the benefit for a Sony owner?" and I really couldn't think of one. Yes, an ePub version could be easily converted to other platforms, but the same is also true of LIT and Mobi versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was thinking "what would be the benefit for a Sony owner?" and I really couldn't think of one.
The warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing that "I don't have to convert this book ever again!". Epub is here to stay, and somewhere down the line, all electronic readers will support it, in one way or the other.

I'm possibly being unrealistic, but I can dream...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing that "I don't have to convert this book ever again!". Epub is here to stay, and somewhere down the line, all electronic readers will support it, in one way or the other.

I'm possibly being unrealistic, but I can dream...
I thought the same, but after buying a recent ADE format book for my PRS-700, I got thoroughly fed-up with the non-standard margin's annoying "page numbers" down the side of the screen and irregular page numbering that I went back and got the book in another format that can be converted to LRF.

I know ADE isn't exactly the same as Epub, since it is Epub+DRM, but for my money (2 cents' worth) ADE is worse that LRX while it offers no options to reformat, and adds irritation like irregular page numbers.
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbagsh55 View Post
I know ADE isn't exactly the same as Epub, since it is Epub+DRM, but for my money (2 cents' worth) ADE is worse that LRX while it offers no options to reformat, and adds irritation like irregular page numbers.
I know, I know... but DE is an application, you can't blame the format. I keep hearing this "I hate epub because I hate DE"... it's sad, really. You can't honestly blame people for thinking like that because there's no alternative for reading epub books on the Reader right now.

But there will be. I'm paying close attention to the OpenInkpot people. Aside from that, it seems Adobe is paying attention and slowly improving DE. The last update brought full justification with hyphenation (not on the Reader yet, but soon I hope), so maybe they will do away with those ridiculous page numbers in a subsequent release, too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote