Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Unfortunately until ebooks are sold DRM free there really is no possibility of gedneric ebook readers so little competition and only a few choices of features. But I can dream of what I want.
At this point in time, the second-tier vendors would be well-advised to stop trying to add value via reading software and instead focus their efforts on polishing the hardware for reading and shipping a stable, unlocked, Android reader that users can customize for the platform (or platforms) of their choice. Instead of fighting the walled gardens, embrace them and extend them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
5" front lit e-ink reader with folder management, text display choices (including use of side loaded fonts) and 8gb on board storage (or SD card slot). No wifi needed.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
My perfect reader would be;

- 5" (though I would give in if it had to be 6")
- Front Light
- Replaceable battery
- Audio (with good TTS)
- Wifi
- Optional OTA updates, not forced like the Kindle/Kobo
- Touchscreen with small turn page buttons on the sides.
- Customisable reading, like the Kobo font/line spacing etc options
- Same as previous point on an android app (you listening Kobo!!!! had those options on the ipad for ages, what about the droid?)
- SD slot
- Library option to view either by folders or a library
- Available in Australia on release day
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Purely for books I'd like a device incorporating:

An 8" e-Ink, HD, capacitive touch screen in a 1:1.45 ratio (in-between 4:3 and 16:10)

Front light

Navigation buttons

An SDXC compatible SD card slot and minimum 16GB internal storage

An aluminium body

Folder view as well as library/collections/shelves/whatever

WiFi

Audio capable with headphones jack and Bluetooth connection.

Very customisable in terms of fonts, line spacing, justification, etc

Replaceable battery!!!!!!

Micro-USB

Library management optimised to work with Calibre
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Thalia Helikon
Enthusiast
Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle n-T, Nook Color Tablet, Nexus 6
we don't need to be dazzled, but we would like Collections!

I'm happy with the form factor of my Kindle non-Touch. The sofware on the other hand, is almost as bad as the DVR provided by my cable company-- an embarassment to the 20th century [if not the 21st!].

I agree with everything Crossi says:

Quote:
Rules for the design
The software should have functions commonly in use in many programs, no unusual creativity needed.

The hardware should be in use now and inexpensive

Keep the cost of building it low

My choice
1. A 6 inch e-ink screen
2. changeable battery
3. SD slot
4. buttons for page turns and home and back (page turns on both sides)
5. touch for selecting book on page (can leave out if needed to cut cost)
6. No Wi-Fi or 3G, load books from USB or SD card
7. Front light OK but can cut if need to lower cost

8. Can read many formats including both mobi and epub
9. Folder organization
10. On home screen can toggle between viewing Device or SD contents
11. When viewing contents see collections and loose books
12. When select collection (folder) will show books and subfolders in collection
13. When attached via usb easy drag and drop to move books and change and add folder names like any other computer folders.
14. To save costs and simplify software can leave out underlining, highlighting, notetaking and internal searches of books. This is a simple device for reading fiction, only needs to remember last location.
15. Keyboard (mechanical or screen) not needed because no notes and folders created by computer connection.
Thalia Helikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
OK, I'll play.

8" e-ink screen
250 - 300 dpi
2:3 aspect ratio
no light
no wifi
no bluetooth
2G available non volatile memory
SD card slot (not micro)
IR screen AND buttons
easily replaceable battery

generic Linux OS
choice of reader/management software
reader software must fully support epub standard!

Think of it as an improved PRS-650.

None of this is exotic or expensive. This is designed to be a reader rather than a POS (point of sale) terminal for somebody's bookstore.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It would be exactly like the Kindle Fire but with the ability to arrange books into collections and everlasting battery life.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Rules for the design
The software should have functions commonly in use in many programs, no unusual creativity needed.

The hardware should be in use now and inexpensive

Keep the cost of building it low

My choice
1. A 6 inch e-ink screen Yes
2. changeable battery Yes, maybe standard AA/AAA
3. SD slot Maybe - haven't need this yet
4. buttons for page turns and home and back (page turns on both sides)
I'd move them up the reader so I don't press them by accident when holding the machine in one hand
5. touch for selecting book on page (can leave out if needed to cut cost) Yes
6. No Wi-Fi or 3G, load books from USB or SD card Agree
7. Front light OK but can cut if need to lower cost E-ink with somewhere to clip on one of those little lights

8. Can read many formats including both mobi and epub Yes
9. Folder organization Yes
10. On home screen can toggle between viewing Device or SD contents Of course
11. When viewing contents see collections and loose books Yes
12. When select collection (folder) will show books and subfolders in collection Yes, and I want a touch screen for all this
13. When attached via usb easy drag and drop to move books and change and add folder names like any other computer folders. Yes
14. To save costs and simplify software can leave out underlining, highlighting, notetaking and internal searches of books. This is a simple device for reading fiction, only needs to remember last location. Mostly, yes, but I want to search books internally
15. Keyboard (mechanical or screen) not needed because no notes and folders created by computer connection. I definitely want an on-screen keyboard
@Julius Caesar, you say Calibre-like software. Why not Calibre software itself?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
My perfect reader would be;

- Available in Australia on release day
You do end up getting the short end of the stick most of the time don't you?

For mine:
6" E-ink screen
Front lit
Wi-Fi
Hardware page turn, home, back, and menu buttons
Touch screen for everything else (w/ at least 2 pt multi-touch for zooming)
4 GB of memory (minimum, 16+ preferred)
Mobi and epub support
PDF support
Folders/multiple organization options
Headphone jack (for audio books and text to speech)
Font/text size/screen saver/line spacing/margin/etc customization

Turns out this is basically features from a kindle keyboad and a kindle paperwhite mashed together for the hardware components. Software would need to be improved (e-pub support and customization) though.

Optional, not needed:
3G/4G connection
Bluetooth (instead of or in addition to headphones for audiobook/text to speech)
Speaker for audio book, TTS, and audio files
SD card slot
DOC, DOCX, RTF support (and others)
Web browser (general use)
Overdrive interface for library books (I would really love this, but compatibility drops it to an optional feature)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Cybook odyssey, with less hardware issue, and a good english / french dictionary.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
My ideal reader would be a Nook STR with the screen/light from the Kobo Aura HD and the dynamic refresh algorithm from the new KPW and Kobo Aura.

Key ingredients:
  • Android (for third party stores and readers)
  • High PPI
  • 7" screen
  • Fast page turns
  • Even frontlight
  • WiFi at least, 3G depending on cost

In my 4+ years of e-reading I have yet to pick up an eInk device because of the low resolution, slow page turns, small screens, and reliance on outside light. I'm about ready to take the plunge on the Aura HD, though the incremental improvements and smoother software on the new KPW are calling to me, too. Cross-device syncing would be a plus, too, including Whispersync with Audible (about the only reason I ever buy a book from Amazon).

There's an outside chance B&N might deliver my wishlist, minus the 7" screen and probably at more of a KPW PPI, before the holidays. I can't say I'd advise that move from a business standpoint, but maybe if they don't expect or try to knock it out of the park, they can stay in the game. Still, there's always another device "coming soon."
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
mrgarrettscott
mrgarrettscott began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
For reading fiction ONLY.

Kindle Touch design with following:

Backlighting
3G or WiFi
Intuitive collection management
mrgarrettscott is offline   Reply With Quote