Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Kaspersky antivirus new problem.

Hi,
just for forum information Calibre and Kaspersky antivirus are really incompatible.
As I have previusly written, startup time and books adding time is 10x slower than normal.

Now I have discovered something else. I have started 5 works to download Metadata. Well, I have activated the antivirus at the end of the second work the remaining 3 gave me error and were not executed.

Always Add Calibre Folder to your antivirus exclusion list.
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or don't use Kaspersky
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or don't use Kaspersky
Nothing wrong with Kaspersky for me.

Calibre opens in about a second. The program resides on an SSD, but my library is on a WD hard drive that clunks and groans as if it was in its death throes. I do have Calibre set up as a trusted application, though. Doing the unmentionable (thanks, Alf) and converting to other formats works in a flash.

I will admit that Calibre was fairly slow on my nine-year-old computer that wasn't exactly cutting edge when I got it, but I never imagined that to be a problem with Kaspersky (or Calibre.)
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kaspersky is the problem. It is not Calibre. Time to look for a different AV.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
Are you indicating that adding calibre to the exclusion alleviated your problems? Personally adding calibre and the library to the exclusion list should eliminate any problems which may exist between calibre and any anti-virus.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kaspersky is [or at least was] VERY slow. I did some testing a few years back building the source code for the product I was working on and the process of getting files from source control and building took something like 6 hours with Kaspersky enabled and about 45 minutes without.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
Hi,
just for forum information Calibre and Kaspersky antivirus are really incompatible.
As I have previusly written, startup time and books adding time is 10x slower than normal.

Now I have discovered something else. I have started 5 works to download Metadata. Well, I have activated the antivirus at the end of the second work the remaining 3 gave me error and were not executed.

The question is of course, what AV do you recommend we use with Calibre ?

(by a strange quirk of fate as I scrolled to your post to "Quote" you I noticed an ad for Norton AV right alongside your post ! Could that be divine intervention ?)
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I use Kaspersky, I just add the Calibre.exe program to the trusted app list and it's not a problem at all that way, there's no slowdown at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I'm using Comodo (it's free) and have not set an exception for calibre.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
I'm using Comodo (it's free) and have not set an exception for calibre.
Comodo does not slow down the computer like a lot of other AV programs do.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Comodo does not slow down the computer like a lot of other AV programs do.
Yes but how good is it at doing it's job, i.e, protecting your computer against the nasties ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Yes but how good is it at doing it's job, i.e, protecting your computer against the nasties ?
Very good. If it doesn't recognize something, it will pop up a requester asking me what to do. So the malware will be unknown and I will get a chance to prevent it from harming the computer.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Fine. In the last—I don't know, decade I've been using it?—I've had 2 issues. Both of those were user error/stupidity as I allowed them (thinking I knew better) despite Comodo issuing a warning.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have no problem at all running Calibre with Kaspersky and have been using them both together for years with no slowdown at all.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I use Kaspersky, I just add the Calibre.exe program to the trusted app list and it's not a problem at all that way, there's no slowdown at all.
You have to set an exception for the whole calibre dir.

Calibre is made of multiple executables.
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote