Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
ITC: APPLE DOESN'T VIOLATE SAMSUNG PATENTS

SAMSUNG TRIAL FAIL
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
This isn't the patent battle I'm waiting to see. The next upcoming one involves the patents concerning LTE.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am waiting to see if Samsung will keep their flex screen technology patents to themselves.

Doing so would not keep any other manufactorer out of any market, so I can't come up with a reasoning (other than graft) by which the courts might force them to cross licence. This move would move the highest product durability over all into an unnasailable Samsung forte until someone else developed a competing non-infringing process.

We will see if Samsung dares.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I am waiting to see if Samsung will keep their flex screen technology patents to themselves.
You do realize that Samsung makes the screens for Apple's products, right? If Apple doesn't use the latest and greatest screens is because the two companies didn't agree on something. It's in Samsung's best interest to have Apple as a client, unless Apple is requesting that Samsung should make the screens only for Apple products.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
You do realize that Samsung makes the screens for Apple's products, right?
Display panels for the iPhone 5 are made by Sharp, Japan Display and LG Display.
Not by Samsung.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
You do realize that Samsung makes the screens for Apple's products, right? If Apple doesn't use the latest and greatest screens is because the two companies didn't agree on something. It's in Samsung's best interest to have Apple as a client, unless Apple is requesting that Samsung should make the screens only for Apple products.
For now, remember the first 3 gens of ipod touches, and first and second gen ipad's IPS display were made by LG, 4 generations of iphones (1-3gs) ips displays were manufactured by LG. only recently with the retina branded displays have they been manufactured by samsung. there is nothing stopping apple from using a diferent brands Super lcd2+ display in the future
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
oh and if i remember the screend on the nanno's and classics were manufactured by sharp
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Wait for me, I will make some popcorn again, for all of us.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You do realize that Samsung can continue to make screens for iPple, right?
And that if Samsung has screens for.themselves that never shatter when dropped, but iPple does not, currently there is no place else to go for iPple.

It is, in fact in Samsumg's best interest to do.this if you look at how big the tablet market is and the potential for this development to dominate.

Compact discs did not take over from vinyl in pretty much two years strictly because of the advance in sound quality. The durability factor played just as great a role.

Durability is a marketable characteristic.

You do comprehend that. Right?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Display panels for the iPhone 5 are made by Sharp, Japan Display and LG Display.
Not by Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
For now, remember the first 3 gens of ipod touches, and first and second gen ipad's IPS display were made by LG, 4 generations of iphones (1-3gs) ips displays were manufactured by LG. only recently with the retina branded displays have they been manufactured by samsung. there is nothing stopping apple from using a diferent brands Super lcd2+ display in the future
My point was that Samsung doesn't have to share the patents, they just have to manufacture the screens for other devices. Would the discussion be different if the division that makes screens would be separated from the rest of Samsung?

Quote:
You do realize that Samsung can continue to make screens for iPple, right?
And that if Samsung has screens for.themselves that never shatter when dropped, but iPple does not, currently there is no place else to go for iPple.

It is, in fact in Samsumg's best interest to do.this if you look at how big the tablet market is and the potential for this development to dominate.

Compact discs did not take over from vinyl in pretty much two years strictly because of the advance in sound quality. The durability factor played just as great a role.

Durability is a marketable characteristic.

You do comprehend that. Right?
I would expect the company to try to make the most profit from of the patent. The iPhone 5 doesn't have the best specs and it still sells. I don't see why you would think that the next model not having the most durable screen would change the minds of many.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
The iPhone 5 doesn't have the best specs and it still sells.
I would think we'll soon have convincing proof that selling phones purely on hardware specs and new features only reaches part of the market for smartphone buyers.

In fact -- maybe time has arrived for Google to start advertising strengths of its OS to those users...because hardware makers usually just focus on hardware features.

just an idea.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I AM TALKING LOUDLY.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

Quote:
My point was that Samsung doesn't have to share the patents, they just have to manufacture the screens for other devices. Would the discussion be different if the division that makes screens would be separated from the rest of Samsung?

I would expect the company to try to make the most profit from of the patent. The iPhone 5 doesn't have the best specs and it still sells. I don't see why you would think that the next model not having the most durable screen would change the minds of many.
Your point being that Velcro didn't make a profit by keeping hook fabric fastenings in house only for the duration of the patent I supose?

You are brilliant!

I never realised before that it was impossible to maximize profit unless you maximise licensing to competitors who have far less in house manufactoring capacity than you do. Truly, you are a wonder.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
In fact -- maybe time has arrived for Google to start advertising strengths of its OS to those users...because hardware makers usually just focus on hardware features.
Only takes a little research to discover that you can sideload apps on Android.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
I never realised before that it was impossible to maximize profit unless you maximise licensing to competitors who have far less in house manufactoring capacity than you do. Truly, you are a wonder.
I wasn't talking about licensing to competitors (i.e. LG, Sharp, etc.). I was talking about manufacturing screens for their clients (i.e. Apple). When it comes to the part of Samsung that manufactures screens, Apple is not a competitor, it is a client.