Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

[Kobo] "update reading progress" suddenly not working?

up until yesterday, whenever I connected my device to Calibre, it would automatically start updating the reading progress, and would show me the books whose progress had changed, then offer to synch them on Goodreads. This morning, nothing. I have made no changes to Calibre, nor any other software that I'm aware of, no changes at all. Yet when I connect my H2O2, I see the "jobs" spinner icon show "1" then briefly "2", then nothing, and when it's back to "0", no book statuses have been update. I have tried four times, on the last attempt, I ran it in debug mode, log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpsh9dnv.txt (36.3 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #2
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I wanted to check that there were no communication issues between Calibre and my device, so I sideloaded 5 books. All went across with no issues, so it doesn't seem to be a connection problem.
Advert
Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Fetching the reading status from Kobo devices is handled by the Kobo Utilities plugin. From the log, there is no configuration for fetching the reading status from the connected device. This is shown in the line:

Code:
DEBUG:   28.8 KoboUtilites:_on_device_metadata_available - self.current_device_profile: None
The other lines important to what is happening are earlier:
Code:
DEBUG:   28.8 KoboUtilities:get_device - drive_info: {'main': {u'date_last_connected': u'2019-01-19T22:40:28.424000+00:00', u'device_store_uuid': u'4c0225af-271c-4134-84b7-8068a3fdb716', u'prefix': 'H:/', u'device_name': u'Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2', u'calibre_version': u'3.38.1', u'last_library_uuid': u'b6b17ac3-bab9-4664-9da2-3adf8f707180', u'location_code': 'main'}}
DEBUG:   28.8 migrate_library_config_if_required - start
DEBUG:   28.8 get_library_config - library_config: {u'readingPositionChangesStore': {u'selectBooksInLibrary': False, u'updeateGoodreadsProgress': True}, u'profiles': {u'Default': {u'forDevice': u'c6c577eb-fc5d-4834-9052-55b89aa9fbd8', u'storeOptionsStore': {u'storeOnConnect': True, u'promptToStore': True, u'doNotStoreIfReopened': False, u'storeIfMoreRecent': False}, u'customColumnOptions': {u'currentReadingLocationColumn': u'#readlocnow', u'percentReadColumn': u'#readperc', u'lastReadColumn': u'#lastreadtime', u'ratingColumn': u''}, u'profileName': u'Default', u'updateOptionsStore': {u'firmwareUpdateCheckLastTime': 0, u'doEarlyFirmwareUpdate': False, u'doFirmwareUpdateCheck': False}}}, u'SchemaVersion': 0.1}
The first line is the contents of the file calibre.metadata on the device. The highlighted bit is the device id that calibre uses. The third line is the configuration for the plugin. The highlight is the id of the device that you have configured the settings for. As the ids are different, the plugin considers this to be a different device.

The id in calibre.metadata generated when the device is first seen by calibre. It shouldn't change. Unless you delete the file, or do a factory reset. After one of those the id will be different and the plugin will see the device a different device. You can see this in the "Devices" tab of the plugins configuration dialog. This lists the devices known to the plugin. If a known device is connected, there will be an icon in the "Status" column. If the currently connected device is not known, the "Add connected device" button will be enabled.

If you only have one Kobo device, then select "*Any device" for the profile. Only choose individual devices names for the profile if you have multiple devices and want to treat them differently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
If you only have one Kobo device, then select "*Any device" for the profile. Only choose individual devices names for the profile if you have multiple devices and want to treat them differently.
Thank you David. Just to make absolutely sure I understand correctly, I should change the relevant setting in the Utilities plugin from "Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2", to "any device"?

Any idea why this setting, which has worked for months, should suddenly stop working, without any action or input of any sort from me?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

It worked, thanks again! I am still wondering why the problem aroser, in the light of your comment:
Quote:
The id in calibre.metadata generated when the device is first seen by calibre. It shouldn't change. Unless you delete the file, or do a factory reset. After one of those the id will be different and the plugin will see the device a different device.
I had done neither. I had done nothing at all to either Calibre or to my device - shut down the computer (properly, after ejecting the device and shutting down Calibre) on Saturday with the plugin working fine, turn it on i the next morning and discover that it no longer worked. Another tech teaser, I guess. Anyway, it's working so YAY!
Advert
Old 01-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Thank you David. Just to make absolutely sure I understand correctly, I should change the relevant setting in the Utilities plugin from "Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2", to "any device"?
Yes, that was the idea. If you only have one device, this is the best choice.
Quote:
Any idea why this setting, which has worked for months, should suddenly stop working, without any action or input of any sort from me?
Somehow the id used changed. I don't know of any way that it changes except if the calibre.metadata needs to be recreated. I have been considering changing the plugin to use the serial number from the device. That has some other issues, but, it would solve this problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that was the idea. If you only have one device, this is the best choice.

Somehow the id used changed. I don't know of any way that it changes except if the calibre.metadata needs to be recreated. I have been considering changing the plugin to use the serial number from the device. That has some other issues, but, it would solve this problem.
Thanks again. When I first setup the plugin, I still had a Clara HD, which is why I specified the H2O2. No longer relevant, and since it works properly now, I'm happy.