Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Books not showing on latest Kindle

I've tried to do a search for a solution to the problem, but am not coming up with anything. No doubt, I'm not using the right terms to bring it up.

Anyway. Calibre is showing that my Kindle 4 has 4 more books on it than the Kindle shows. I've identified three of them--all by the same author. Calibre says they're on the device, but the Kindle doesn't show that they're there.

I've tried deleting the books from the device and Calibre and downloading them again from Kindle for Mac, but the problem recurs.

Interestingly, when you transfer them to the Kindle again and unplug from the computer, you can see the titles briefly on the Kindle, but after a few seconds, they go away.

Not a huge problem, because they transfer to my Kobo with no problem and I can read them there, but the problem bugs me.

Any ideas?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I've tried to do a search for a solution to the problem, but am not coming up with anything. No doubt, I'm not using the right terms to bring it up.

Anyway. Calibre is showing that my Kindle 4 has 4 more books on it than the Kindle shows. I've identified three of them--all by the same author. Calibre says they're on the device, but the Kindle doesn't show that they're there.

I've tried deleting the books from the device and Calibre and downloading them again from Kindle for Mac, but the problem recurs.

Interestingly, when you transfer them to the Kindle again and unplug from the computer, you can see the titles briefly on the Kindle, but after a few seconds, they go away.

Not a huge problem, because they transfer to my Kobo with no problem and I can read them there, but the problem bugs me.

Any ideas?

Jim
If you search for those books on the Kindle itself, will they appear in the search results?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
What format are the missing books?. If they work on kobo, that suggests epub or kepub which will not work on kindle?

DRM locking them to Kindle for Mac is another possible cause
Can you open them in calibre, to prove DRM is gone ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you search for those books on the Kindle itself, will they appear in the search results?
Yes, but when you click on the title, it wants you to turn on the wi-fi, so it's going to pull the book from your Amazon library.

Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
What format are the missing books?. If they work on kobo, that suggests epub or kepub which will not work on kindle?

DRM locking them to Kindle for Mac is another possible cause
Can you open them in calibre, to prove DRM is gone ?
They're AZW3 books, with no DRM. You can open them in Calibre and read them just fine. Looking in the Document folder of the Kindle, they're definitely in there, so something about them is keeping them from showing in the Kindle itself. A puzzle.

Jim
Advert
Old 12-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:

Any ideas?

Jim
I had that happen turns out the missing books were listed under " all Items" but not under "books" real odd!
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
They're AZW3 books, with no DRM. You can open them in Calibre and read them just fine. Looking in the Document folder of the Kindle, they're definitely in there, so something about them is keeping them from showing in the Kindle itself. A puzzle.

Jim
Try to convert them to azw3 again and transfer them to your Kindle from Calibre after conversion. Calibre conversion sometimes removes such issues.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Try to convert them to azw3 again and transfer them to your Kindle from Calibre after conversion. Calibre conversion sometimes removes such issues.
Didn't work; nothing changes.

Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I had that happen turns out the missing books were listed under " all Items" but not under "books" real odd!
My list includes all items, not just books, so that's not the problem. 87 items on the Kindle, Calibre says there are 91.

Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are they stuck indexing? IIRC that's prevented titles from showing for folks on occasion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are they stuck indexing? IIRC that's prevented titles from showing for folks on occasion.
No, nothing indexing. If I sideloaded the books outside of Calibre, would that tell anyone anything, assuming that the books then showed up?

Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Do you know what is set for the ASIN of those books? Strange things can happen if multiple books on a device have the same ASIN.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try MOBI format
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Do you know what is set for the ASIN of those books? Strange things can happen if multiple books on a device have the same ASIN.
I looked at the ASIN of the books and they're all different.

Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #15
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Try MOBI format
These books all arrived from Kindle for Mac in azw3 format. Just for yucks, I downloaded one of the books via USB for my original Kindle and it came in Mobi format, which I converted to azw3. So, if what you're suggesting is that there is something wrong with the books' azw3 formatting, this book should have shown up on the Kindle, and it didn't.

Too many things I don't know about Calibre and its interaction with the reader for me to solve this puzzle.

As I said initially, the books download to my Kobo just fine and I can read them there and hopefully I won't have the same problem with other books.

Jim