Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
If they are in fact 18 months behind the US
Usually, the UK is 10 years behind the USA.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I'm sure that certain people will try to claim that such figures would imply that apple are doing a lot for kindle and more than deserve their 30%, while conveniently ignoring how many of those ipads will have been sold (and generated profits at that time) in order to read kindle books or other such things.
The article doesn't say where the iPad customers are getting their ebooks. Other surveys have placed the Kindle at 50% of books sold on the iPad.

It is interesting that the iPad is being used AS a reader which goes against the persistent meme on this board that "serious readers use eInk".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I concur that it would be better to know "the number of titles read on what platform" and/or "the amount of time spent on one platform." One thing that always amuses me about this particular metric, which some US companies also use, is that for some reason PC's always end up beating the other devices by a huge margin.
Could it be because lots of people are reading books on their PC's?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It is interesting that the iPad is being used AS a reader which goes against the persistent meme on this board that "serious readers use eInk".
Some of us use both, of course. When I'm "out and about" I always have my Kindle with me, but I often read on my iPad at home.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I certainly get the impression that the Kindle is doing extremely well in the UK. A number of my work colleagues have bought them, who have previously had no interest in eBooks.
I've only ever seen Sony's e-readers when out and about, but I definitely think that will change now that the Kindles are appearing in more UK retailers. Getting into the supermarkets is a large step in bringing e-readers to the masses, especially coupled with the Kindles' ease of content delivery.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #21
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
The article doesn't say where the iPad customers are getting their ebooks. Other surveys have placed the Kindle at 50% of books sold on the iPad.

Lee
Do you have a link? A few months ago, Amazon recently stated that 20% of its sales were to non-Kindle owners (which are probably mostly iPad owners).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Do you have a link? A few months ago, Amazon recently stated that 20% of its sales were to non-Kindle owners (which are probably mostly iPad owners).
Perhaps the remaining 30% are people who own both a Kindle and an iPad?
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #23
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
One thing that doesn't help in Europe is Amazon.co.uk and their stupid attitude to Europe. They will only sell you a Kindle if you live in the UK most of the other items they offer for sale they will ship anywhere in Europe, that means no extra tax or import and usually free shipping. They won't, however, ship a Kindle to Spain. Amazon.com will though BUT you then have to pay tax import duty and shipping to Europe making it more expensive. Just crazy marketing strategy IMHO.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Generally seems to be higher than that.

Quote:
No it doesn't, an earlier post in this thread gives the example where you can't draw that conclusion from this survey.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Usually, the UK is 10 years behind the USA.
Our centuries ahead in other matters.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #26
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
I've only ever seen Sony's e-readers when out and about, but I definitely think that will change now that the Kindles are appearing in more UK retailers. Getting into the supermarkets is a large step in bringing e-readers to the masses, especially coupled with the Kindles' ease of content delivery.
In my experience, sony e-readers were very uncommon, but more common than the kindle up until the time when the k3 launched properly in the UK with a device that was not simply an official grey import and offering a better device for less money than Sony.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
One thing that doesn't help in Europe is Amazon.co.uk and their stupid attitude to Europe. They will only sell you a Kindle if you live in the UK most of the other items they offer for sale they will ship anywhere in Europe, that means no extra tax or import and usually free shipping. They won't, however, ship a Kindle to Spain. Amazon.com will though BUT you then have to pay tax import duty and shipping to Europe making it more expensive. Just crazy marketing strategy IMHO.
It is very weird that they haven't sorted out the roaming agreements that would allow the .co.uk site to ship to europe, I was quite lucky in that I was able to send mine to my parents address and was then able to order it from the uk site.

Another option you do have to wonder about is why they didn't simply limit sales from the uk site to the wifi-only model for those in europe as then they would at least have the option of avoiding customs charges if they didn't need the 3g model.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #28
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Sorry, I think I misread the original post. I don't know what the market share of kindle books *on the ipad* is. I was talking about the ipad's share of kindle books generally.

My bad!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Sorry, I think I misread the original post. I don't know what the market share of kindle books *on the ipad* is. I was talking about the ipad's share of kindle books generally.

My bad!
This is why we need better numbers.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote