Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #61
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will third The Orphan's Tale.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #62
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
We have one book with two votes at this stage, needing one more vote to get in the poll, and another that needs two more votes to get in.

Is there anyone out there with a spare vote or two to help them over the line? I have used all mine up.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 05-05-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #63
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Okay, I've got one ticket left, so I'll use it to third Truth and Beauty: A Friendship.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I shall second Greyfriars Bobby.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
We have one book with two votes at this stage, needing one more vote to get in the poll, and another that needs two more votes to get in.

Is there anyone out there with a spare vote or two to help them over the line? I have used all mine up.
We have one book left that has two nods. It just needs on more nod.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Greyfriars Bobby can be had at Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2693
Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #67
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will third Greyfriars Bobby.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #68
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great teamwork!
Old 05-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The poll is open.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I posted the link for Project Gutenberg Greyfriars Bobby and it seems to have been ignored. It should be in the poll thread and it's not. It should be there so those that vote for it or want to read it know where to get it.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I posted the link for Project Gutenberg Greyfriars Bobby and it seems to have been ignored. It should be in the poll thread and it's not. It should be there so those that vote for it or want to read it know where to get it.
Thank you for the link. I've added it to the poll thread.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #72
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
FYI, my nominee, The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff, is the Daily Deal at Audible today, priced at $4.95.
Catlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm going to nominate The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie (First Pub. 1902)

<SNIP>

I wanted an excuse to nominate it because I would like to hear others thoughts about this story. I'm guessing that the narrator's motives and morals could - in these modern cynical times - come into question, because there is something of the stalker in the man's behaviour. But can we see him as a well intentioned stalker? There is, I think, much to talk about in this book.
I just ran across an interesting article about Barrie in the New Yorker; it has insightful commentary on The Little White Bird in itself and in the context of Barrie's life.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #74
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just ran across an interesting article about Barrie in the New Yorker; it has insightful commentary on The Little White Bird in itself and in the context of Barrie's life.
Thank you very very much for that. An excellent article.

I am pleased to read that even those that studied his life in more detail found nothing ugly in his dealings with children. As noted in my nomination, I found the early chapters touching and intriguing - more so than the Peter Pan chapters. I found it fascinating that he (the narrator, who it seems is obviously based on Barrie himself) should have such affection for children and yet sees them clearly as "gay and innocent and heartless".

Correction: the quote "gay and innocent and heartless" comes from Peter and Wendy, not from The Little White Bird - though the same sentiment exists pretty clearly in the text.

Last edited by gmw; 05-10-2018 at 12:13 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #75
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Yes, a very interesting article - thanks, issybird.