Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #46
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Tried creating another account with them today on the off chance it would work, and still getting the same error on trying to actually pay them.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #47
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
If it's any consolation, we have the same problem with American stores.
Yeah, I know. It's a lousy situation all around. Sometimes I think I need a UK friend I'd buy US ebooks for, who would buy UK ebooks for me. But at least Waterstone's is still willing to take my US dollars. For how long, I don't know. I'm not going to tell them they're not supposed to be selling me ebooks.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #48
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Waterstones might take your money BUT they dont have many bargains
I bought and checked out with WHSmith fine last night it was a bit slow but when I checked this morning it was much quicker so bang went the cc again and got a few more for my hols
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well, I can see why UK publishers want geographic restrictions.

Last year's Dick Francis novel, Silks, is $8.49 with $2.97 rebate (net $5.52, or £3.40) at Fictionwise for club members, and it's £19.49, reduced to £9.70 at W.H. Smiths.

So, I can buy from W.H. Smiths, or persuade fictionwise to sell it to me for less than half of W.H. Smith's "half price".

Of course, I could always buy the paperback from W.H. Smiths for £5.17, or from Amazon.co.uk for £3.86...

In fact, I've just sent an email off to Penguin, the pricing is so silly. I doubt I'll hear back though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #50
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I spend a fair bit this morning, downloaded most of them, but had some pre-order books, then went to order another one and it lost my whole history there even the pre-orders, I'm not happy at the moment...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #51
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
For anyone who might still be having problems (the offer seems to be still on), I got a reply email to my complaint about not being able to purchase:
Quote:
We have found that your purchase did not complete because there was a conflict between your IP address and registered country. We have corrected this issue so you should now be able to complete your purchase.
It sounds unbelievably stupid, as the books I purchased where ok for both countries anyway, and they should have a specific error message for these kinds of situations if it is such a problem.
Still, anyone having problems checking out, check if there is such a "conflict" for you too....

[EDIT]: And for anyone worried about losing their purchased books, my previously purchased books magically reappeared, now that the "conflict" was fixed. Go figure.

Last edited by omk3; 01-13-2010 at 10:33 AM.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #52
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Eeek - I ordered 6 books this morning at work, but have to wait till I get home to actually download them. I hope they don't mysteriously vanish before I get there!

[crosses fingers]
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #53
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got a reply back:
Quote:
We apologize for the inconvenience. You were being blocked by our
Fraud Prevention system due to excessive good transactions (2 good
transactions in past 24 hours). We have removed the block on your
account so you may continue to purchase items. If there is anything else
we can do, please let us know. Thank you.
I worry that 2 in 24 hours is considered excessive...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #54
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

They seriously need to redesign a few things in their web store....
Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #55
simond
Fanatic

It says more about how successful it's been so far
Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #56
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I was once blocked at BooksOnBoard when I bought 8 books in a single purchase. I think it came to about $100. I had to check with customer service to get them unlocked.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #57
omk3
Wizard

In the good old times of paper books and brick and mortar bookstores, I made purchases larger than that all the time! It was not often I could be in an english language bookstore, so I bought everything I could find when I got the chance. What is so weird about it that they block people? Especially if there is an offer going on?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #58
simond
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I was once blocked at BooksOnBoard when I bought 8 books in a single purchase. I think it came to about $100. I had to check with customer service to get them unlocked.
I'd never buy that many *cough*, in a way I don't blame them, but they should take that into account when running offers which tempt people to buy lots to make the most of the deal
Old 01-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #59
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I'd never buy that many *cough*, in a way I don't blame them, but they should take that into account when running offers which tempt people to buy lots to make the most of the deal
There's wasn't actually an offer going on - but I don't think spending $100 on books once in a rare while is that unusual.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #60
simond
Fanatic

I usually buy a book at a time, but no, $100 isn't particularly much overall, I just forgot to do the mental conversion from $ to £