Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #31
dshipp
dshipp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Their site appears to be too heavily loaded. I found that retrying searches several times eventually let me get to the books I wanted. Checkout was fine.

I managed to pick up the following books that were on my reading list, at prices that I think are pretty reasonable:

Brave New World (Adobe PDF eBook) - £3.27
Cat's Cradle (Adobe PDF eBook) - £3.27
Slaughterhouse-Five (Adobe PDF eBook) - £3.27
Foundation (Adobe PDF eBook) - £2.90
Foundation and Empire (Adobe PDF eBook) - £2.90
Secound Foundation (Adobe PDF eBook) - £2.90

Keep trying people. The offer runs until at least 3pm tomorrow.
dshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #32
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Can anyone in the UK remind me if the VAT is included in the price of the ebooks or not? I seem to recall buying a couple of ebooks from them before and finding the VAT had been added on top somewhere between clicking the 'buy' button and receiving the confirmation email, which was more than a little irritating.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #33
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Curses to WH SMith's they made me buy 18GBP of ebooks I wasn't going to.
Somebody shoot me if I buy any more ebooks for 6 months
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #34
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Just be aware that all my bookshelf titles - all the books I've previously bought at WHSmiths have disappeared. I have them all backed up but some people might not. It just says bookshelf error.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #35
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Just be aware that all my bookshelf titles - all the books I've previously bought at WHSmiths have disappeared. I have them all backed up but some people might not. It just says bookshelf error.
Mine have disappeared too! It says I never bought any
And, for the record, I still haven't been able to check out....
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #36
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Everything seems to be going well on the site now. Much better than last night. I was able to select three books and checkout reasonably quickly.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #37
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I managed to checkout last night, seems a little better this morning. All my books still there but I have already snagged them and backed them up anyway.

For zombie fiction fans they have all the Abaddon books for £2.54 each including the five zombie "Tomes of the Dead" books. They are all pretty pulpy and fun, don't expect anything too great but for that price it's worth it for a bit of light entertainment.

I grabbed some of the Afterblight Chronicles which are post-apocalypse cheese plus some of the steampunky Pax Brittania.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #38
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
I finally managed to check out the books I wanted sometime around midnight. Like weatallthepies I grabbed a few Abaddon bokks because I wanted to try them as well as "The Man with the Golden Arm" by Nelson Algren which I'd always wanted to read.

It's a pity all the books are DRM'ed as I find epub novels look very odd on my Sony as the right hand edge isn't justified. The Algren looks particularly bad.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #39
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camino real View Post
I finally managed to check out the books I wanted sometime around midnight. Like weatallthepies I grabbed a few Abaddon bokks because I wanted to try them as well as "The Man with the Golden Arm" by Nelson Algren which I'd always wanted to read.

It's a pity all the books are DRM'ed as I find epub novels look very odd on my Sony as the right hand edge isn't justified. The Algren looks particularly bad.
They can be de-fanged if need be, I usually do just to have a platform independent backup of books I've purchased. I'm also mainly using FBReader so DRM has to go.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #40
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For anyone still having problems checking out (OMK3 ?)

I still wasn't having any joy this morning despite having purchased books last night. So I simply set up a new account with a different email address and lo and behold I managed to get the rest of the books I wanted - all the Shannara books by Terry Brooks at £2.90 so I wasn't giving up without a fight!

Because my bookshelf items were missing on my old account and I could no longer checkout, I think they must have lost some data - maybe a whole server's gone down or they've lost some of their database.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #41
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I got a few last night, mainly books at hardcover prices that were now "normal". Then this morning I got 6 more at around £4 each.

Fortunately (for me) their website is awkward to navigate so I can't find anything more that I want just now...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #42
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Fortunately (for me) their website is awkward to navigate so I can't find anything more that I want just now...
LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking!

If their site was as easy as Amazon's then my poor old credit card would have taken a worse battering.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #43
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
FINALLY!!

Thank you SO much for your advice, poshm!
WHSmith sure owe you a good percentage of the money I just gave them!

omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #44
poshm
Fanatic

Glad it worked Hate for people to miss out on a bargain esp as we don't get many ebook bargains in the UK!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #45
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I'm getting rather nervous about buying anything - I signed up for an account last night and selected a number of books for my basket.

OK, I accept that the books might disappear from my basket, but today I get an error "Sorry. Your email address is not recognised." (and before anyone asks the obvious. yes my e-mail address is the same one I signed up with)

And I'm supposed to pay them money for ebooks to download later????

and
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote