Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #31
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Reading this now. It finally came up on my reading list.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #32
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

I am enjoying your book very much. I read for a little while yesterday up to chapter 9. I have to say your style of writing reminds me of FM Busby. Or at least how I remember FM Busby style in the Star Rebel series (loved those series of books) that I read when I was very young. So my comparison might be a little off do to the years. But thats the feeling I am initially getting having started your book.

Cheers.
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #33
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I'd missed this ongoing thread. I finished the first three books & really liked them. Looking forward to continuing this story-line.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #34
Randolphlalonde
Author
Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone
I'm really glad you are enjoying them, Guns4Hire and Treven. The style of storytelling changes in the Spinward Fringe series, which picks up several years after the First Light Trilogy comes to a close. I hope you both enjoy that series as well, I've been getting some really good reader mail on it lately and things are looking good for the last two books in the plot cycle.

Well.. time to get back to work on the latest Spinward Fringe book...

Boards are evil little procrastination devices!!
Randolphlalonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #36
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Well like I promised I reviewed your books over @ smashwords. Ive put your other books on my to-buy list. Both my to-buy list and my reading lists are huge lol so you are a ways down there but I will get to it.

Thanks for the great read.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #37
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Randolph, so far "The First Light Chronicles" are good, but you really need to spell "court-martial" correctly. It isn't "courtmarshal".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #38
Scamper
Scamper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Just picked this book up. Looking forward to reading it.

First up is Chronic City though.
Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #39
Randolphlalonde
Author
Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Randolph, so far "The First Light Chronicles" are good, but you really need to spell "court-martial" correctly. It isn't "courtmarshal".
You know, there were a couple errors like that in the drafts that are there thanks to stream of consciousness writing, where I know the difference between the two, but when the book is typed, my fingers decide for me. Thank you for picking it up, that along with one other meaning flip phrase is being corrected thanks to readers in the next version. Funny how, thanks to eBooks I can update every 3 months (or more, time permitting), but with print it's pretty much an annual thing.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #40
Randolphlalonde
Author

I thought I would mention that, for people who would rather read this book with a fully linked chapter index, the latest revision of the First Light Chronicles Omnibus is available on Amazon.com for $0.99US. (LINK)

Sadly, they won't allow me to post it there for free, and they're determining international pricing on their own, but it's there for anyone who would rather have an indexed version. The revisions took about a year on this book, so there was a little celebration when this finally hit Amazon.com, I'm glad it's finally there at the right price in the US at least.

For anyone who already owns the Mobipocket or Kindle edition, there should be an updated version in your library so you can update for free. Kindle users may find that it's already been updated automatically on your device.

The First Light Chronicles Omnibus is still available for free on Smashwords without a navigation menu HERE.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #41
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm re-reading First Light again, but am just a few pages short of where the sad ending comes in. I know the following books sort of go off in a different path and I still wish Randolph could have put in a few more detailed adventures before the sad part comes along. (Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet.)
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #42
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Well I loved First Light and have put a review up on Smashwords and have also gone and purchased all of the Spinward Fringe Series too. Can't wait for the 6th (is it 6?) Spinward Fringe book to be out.

Thanks for an awesome read
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #43
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolphlalonde View Post
For anyone who already owns the Mobipocket or Kindle edition, there should be an updated version in your library so you can update for free. Kindle users may find that it's already been updated automatically on your device.
Unfortunately, in the Kindle store you always get the edition you purchased, no matter how often it is updated by the author. You can, however, often get customer service there to let you return a book (with a refund of the original price) and then re-purchase the book. For those who don't mind paying twice, you can now permanently delete (without any refund) and then repurchase. It is, though, a bit of a hassle.

Is the corrected version up on Smashwords yet?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #44
Randolphlalonde
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Unfortunately, in the Kindle store you always get the edition you purchased, no matter how often it is updated by the author. You can, however, often get customer service there to let you return a book (with a refund of the original price) and then re-purchase the book. For those who don't mind paying twice, you can now permanently delete (without any refund) and then repurchase. It is, though, a bit of a hassle.

Is the corrected version up on Smashwords yet?
I spoke to a couple other Kindle readers only to discover that you're absolutely right. Only the big publishers can force updates via Amazon, which isn't what they told me when I signed up. Amazon was very proud to offer their service as a "live digital platform" that was perfect for document updates. Mobipocket does, however, update their libraries, that's something I've verified myself through a dummy account.

The most current version available will always be released on Smashwords first, however, but still without menus since their system doesn't allow that kind of code just yet. They assure me it's coming, eventually. Here's the direct link to the book there: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3178

Thank you for bringing this up so I could check it out myself. When Smashwords allows linked indexes in their books, I'll be providing one there as well, and the book will remain free.

As for the question of adventures between the First Light Chronicles and Spinward Fringe
, well, I didn't write them because I didn't find that span of years very interesting. There are other reasons that make for great big spoilers, so I won't go through them here.

There is a digital magazine and online publishing project under way right now that may involve other authors, and the time in between is up for grabs where short stories and other books under the Spinward Fringe banner are concerned. That development may not produce anything for years, however, but it's there and slowly building steam. When content starts appearing, at least half will be free, while the rest will be priced lower than the existing work.

Meanwhile, I'm concentrating on Spinward Fringe Broadcast 6 and Broadcast 7, where you'll find an end to most of the current plot lines.

Thank you very much for reading and posting reviews. It's good to see that the crew is growing and getting involved!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #45
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Ah didn't know you updated the MOBI versions of First Light and such. When did the updates go through and what changed?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote