Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well... If my conversion is accepted as is, look for the LRF for download in Jeffery's website sometime this week.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #62
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Shop it to Baen as an e-Book.

Xenophon
I haven't actually talked to the folks at Baen yet, but I seriously doubt that they contract with individual authors for ebook versions of titles published elsewhere. (Other than public domain books, I mean.) I can think of a dozen reasons why that would be more trouble to them than it's worth. Still, I should ask.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #63
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well... If my conversion is accepted as is, look for the LRF for download in Jeffery's website sometime this week.
Can someone point me to a software download so that I can see what this looks like on a PC? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #64
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I haven't actually talked to the folks at Baen yet, but I seriously doubt that they contract with individual authors for ebook versions of titles published elsewhere. (Other than public domain books, I mean.) I can think of a dozen reasons why that would be more trouble to them than it's worth. Still, I should ask.
Well, they have done so in the past:
  • David Drake's Isles series is published elsewhere in paper, but sold via WebScriptions.
  • They carry eBooks from a bunch of authors who had originally sold them via Meisha Merlin. This includes all of P. C. Hodgell, the Lee&Miller Liaden series (plus the chap-books, which were previously available only from the authors), and a bunch-a-ton of others.
  • David Weber's Off Armageddon Reef was published by Tor, but sold in bits via Baen.
  • They brought back the entire Pournelle/Niven CoDominium series, right up through The Gripping Hand -- most originally published elsewhere.
  • Leigh Brackett bundles...
  • Edmond Hamilton bundles...
  • Much of Mike Resnick's back-list...
  • ...and more showing up regularly.

Past history suggests that if your books have a decent history of sales, Baen is likely to be interested in selling them in bits. And their standard policy is to take non-exclusive e-rights, so it wouldn't even prevent you from also selling through e-reads or fictionwise or whomever. So please check it out! Baen really does have the most reader-friendly scheme for selling ebooks that I've found so far.

Xenophon

P.S. And a very happy birthday, too!
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #65
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I have, in fact, added a link at the end of most of the versions saying, if you enjoyed this, please help out with a Paypal donation.

I've just uploaded a PDF2, which is a bigger file (2.4 MB), but optimized for display on a PDA. (I.e., the text reflows to the small screen.) It took an old version of Framemaker that I had on my computer from a previous job to do it, and boy was it a royal pain.

Would anyone like to volunteer to help proofread the updated file for Strange Attractors when I have it ready in a day or two? It would be as a Word doc.
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #66
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Baen really does have the most reader-friendly scheme for selling ebooks that I've found so far.

Xenophon

P.S. And a very happy birthday, too!
I'll email Jim Minz and see what he says. And thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #67
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Payment sent, Jeffrey. I enjoy your stuff and look forward to more of your books available in multiple digital formats!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #68
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Can someone point me to a software download so that I can see what this looks like on a PC? Thanks.
You can download the eBook Library (which can read LRF) here:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/downloadclient.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #69
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Really enjoyed the book, I'm looking forward to the rest.
Donated 5 dollar to your tipjar.
I hope this will get more writers to put up their work in this way
thanx
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #70
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
After reading all the posts I've added Neptune Crossing to my ever expanding list (actually it has jumped from the hundred something to the next in line after Birthright: The Book of Man with only a few pages to go). Thank you for supporting ebook readers.

P.S Donation on it's way

Regards
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #71
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
y'all better watch out, you're going to give ebook lovers a good name !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Same problem with offering a few chapters and click-to-buy. I wouldn't begin to know how to implement that.
Take a look at booksforabuck.com. They can publish your ebook and provide the infrastructure which is already in place. They pay 50% royalty on each ebook sold. They do all the collection and fulfillment. Looks like an easy way to sell your ebooks.

You could provide a 2-3 page sample on your own site, with info an a link to buy the book at booksforabuck.com for example.

Here is their information page for authors: http://www.booksforabuck.com/general/authorpage.html

It looks like fictionwise.com also provides this service. Check out their authors info page at http://fictionwise.com/authorinfo.htm .

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 08-26-2008 at 08:40 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did send a PM with the link. But here is the link again.

http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #74
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I have to say thanks a lot for this Jeffrey. I've never read any of your books before - To be brutally honest I've never heard of you before this thread - but what a great way to get people like me to realise you're there and writing and convince us to give you a try.

I have quite a large to read list at the moment but I'm certainly adding Neptune Crossing close to the top when my new reader arrives next week. I just read the prologue and it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy.

*Edit* While typing I set a Librarything search going. It would seem I own a copy of Infinity Link I've never read. I'll have to give that one a look too.

Keep up the good work. It's always great to see authors willing to give ebooks a try.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #75
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Baen has lately started doing e-stuff even for authors whose print works they don't publish. And given that Tor is (at some point) going to start shopping its own e-books through Baen, it might make sense to have your books in the same place as the rest of Tor's e-books.

Though you'd want to check and see what their terms are. When I asked a certain small publisher to see about shopping the e-books of a renowned fantasy author he was publishing to them, that publisher didn't like their terms at all.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote