Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Anyone know if this is compatible with the Aura HD, Aura, and/or Glo? Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
This should work on all models. Since I have only a Touch and there is not much feedback from other users, I don't know how the modified elements exactly look on other models (I think the font size of the menu entries will not be effected on the Aura HD). However you can change the values of the concerned elements in two configuration files.
Be aware, that the version for 3.1.1 has not yet been tested by anybody, not even by myself.

Last edited by tshering; 12-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Since the Touch N905C has some difficulties with 3.1.1, I did not plan to make a version for this FW. But since you show some interest, I did it nonetheless; however without any testing (be warned!) and only a small version (only the user configurable part).

Make sure your reader is on FW 3.1.1!
USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
tshering, this is extremely generous of you, many many thanks!

EDIT: for installation, we use the same procedure as for 2.8.1, is that correct (i.e. double click on .bat file and copy resulting .tgz in .kobo directory on the device)?

Last edited by paola; 12-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
EDIT: for installation, we use the same procedure as for 2.8.1, is that correct (i.e. double click on .bat file and copy resulting .tgz in .kobo directory on the device)?
Yes, this is how it works. I would like to repeat, that I was unable to test this version, since I am on 3.0.1. That means that you are taking a little risk.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Results on Kobo Aura HD with 3.1.1

I've tried the 3.1.1 version on my Kobo Aura HD. Here's what I've noticed:

- the library view (books, shelves): slightly bigger text maybe, or maybe just more ling spacing

- the annotation list and details view: font seems the same size as before

- the search list: line SPACING seems bigger, but font seems the same

- some menus: definitely bigger

- the dictionary: changes to sans-serif font, but not bigger

- the header and footer texts: header is same as before, but footer is bigger

All best wishes!

Rob
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Although I do find the Gothic dictionary font easier to read (serif fonts are hard to make out at small type sizes for me), the font doesn't seem to be rendering as well as it should have. There's an unevenness to it, and fine characters like the open-circle bullet that sets of parts of a definition, don't always render completely.

This problem may have been present prior to applying this patch; the serif font was always hard for me to read, so I can't really tell.

I'd love to have a larger font for the dictionary. Is there something I can change in conf_libnickel.txt to, say, double the size?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #22
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, this is how it works. I would like to repeat, that I was unable to test this version, since I am on 3.0.1. That means that you are taking a little risk.
thanks tshering, I am aware of that and still not sure whether I should do it as my Mini is not supposed to be running 3.1.1. It is just the dictionary that I'd like to see in a larger font. At any rate, thanks a million!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #23
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
... as my Mini is not supposed to be running 3.1.1.
I don't think that this makes any difference with regard to our modification. My only concern was, that I might have done some mistake when I prepared the configuration files. But I think this is rather unlikely. Anyway the worst thing that can happen is that you have to factory reset.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #24
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think that this makes any difference with regard to our modification. My only concern was, that I might have done some mistake when I prepared the configuration files. But I think this is rather unlikely. Anyway the worst thing that can happen is that you have to factory reset.
ah, very good to know - I used to dread factory resets until I discovered I could back up the database
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
tshering
Wizard

RobertJSawyer,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Sorry for the late response, but somehow I overlooked your posts between the two post by Paola.

Quote:
- the library view (books, shelves): slightly bigger text maybe, or maybe just more ling spacing
I guess this does not affect the Aura HD at all, the css block contained in the configuration file concerns possibly only Touch, Mini, Glo, and Aura.

Quote:
- the annotation list and details view: font seems the same size as before
Thank you for this information. Please open KBPatcher05\3.1.1_source\conf_libnickel.txt and find
Code:
action=replace_xor_AC
position=13AA528
note=if this doesn't work, try the following values
#action=replace_xor_11
#position=1401D78
replace this by
Code:
#action=replace_xor_AC
#position=13AA528
note=if this doesn't work, try the following values
action=replace_xor_11
position=1401D78
Quote:
- the search list: line SPACING seems bigger, but font seems the same
I am not sure why this does not work, I tried to increase the font-size for the Aura HD from 29px to 39px. You can try increasing in conf_libnickel.txt the value of the font size in this line, but I think if this line has an effect you would already have noticed it. (Just to clarify, only the text of the history/auto-complete list is concerned)

Code:
newpart=[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\nfont-size: 39px;\nfont-family: Georgia;\n}\n\n
Quote:
- the dictionary: changes to sans-serif font, but not bigger
Concerning the dictionary view, the values are unfortunately not differentiated according to models. I set the values fitting for the Touch/Mini. You can increase the values for the Aura HD.
In conf_libnickel.txt there are three examples of how to change font family and font size of the dictionary view. Search for
name=Dictionary (Georgia), name=Dictionary (Gothic), and name=Dictionary (Ryumin). Only one of these three patches must be enabled, the other two must be disabled. Currently, Dictionary (Gothic) is enabled. All of them have the same pattern. The important lines are (I take Dictionary (Georgia) as example)

Code:
newpart=* { font-family: Georgia ;font-size: 24px; line-height: 28px; } \n
Code:
newpart=ol p { font-size: 24px; font-weight:normal;      }
It is important that the length of the "newparts" together is not larger than the length of the "oldparts". If the newparts are longer, the patcher will display a warning and refuse to create an output.

Quote:
- the header and footer texts: header is same as before, but footer is bigger
My header modification might work only for Touch (maybe Mini, Glo?). If you would like to try something you can add the following to conf_libnickel.txt. Some font size will be increased, but I am not sure whether of the header or something else.

Code:
<patch>
name=Header for Aura, Aura HD?
enabled=true
action=replace_xor_11
position=142D720
oldpart=* {\n\tbackground-color: transparent;\n\tpadding-top:3px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 21px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n\tqproperty-leading: 0;\n}
newpart=* {\n\tbackground-color: transparent;\n\tpadding-top:3px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 36px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 31px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n\tqproperty-leading: 0;\n}
combineparts
</patch>
Best regards,
Tshering
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Thank you so much, Tshering. Changing the dictionary I went from:

Code:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;font-size: 24px; line-height: 28px; }\n
to:

Code:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;font-size: 36px; line-height: 42px; }\n
It's nice and readable now!

I very much appreciate your help!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #27
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
It's nice and readable now!
I am glad you like it! I guess you also changed the other line:
Code:
newpart=ol p { font-size: 24px; font-weight:normal; }\n
Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Quote:
I am glad you like it! I guess you also changed the other line:
Code:
newpart=ol p { font-size: 24px; font-weight:normal; }\n
Yes, I did. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #29
tshering
Wizard

For FW 3.2.0! Do not use it with other FWs!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher06.zip (13.17 MB, 371 views)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #30
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Thank you so much!