Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
TaoDao
TaoDao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
E-ink optimized browser

Hi everyone,
I have the Aura HD. It works very well for me, but that's not what this thread is about.

The thing is, I like e-readers I like the internet I like to browse the internet on my e-reader But, you see, the experimental browser on the Kobo has one big problem (aside from being very basic feature-wise), and it's scrolling. Scrolling is a terrible way to move across content on an e-reader because of the screen refresh rates and the black-white flicker.

Honestly, I believe e-readers have a potential to be some of the best web-browsing devices around, especially for sober reference sites such as Wikipedia. E-reader web browsing could be infinitely better with the simplest tweak: break the web page into screen sized pages that we can flip through like a book.

I wonder if a QT application that does this is available, or that any developer would take an interest in creating one, or customizing an existing browser.

This sounds so simple that I find it hard to believe that I should be the first to bring it up. But I've done searches and came up with nothing. I guess the problem is that it is hard to describe in a few search terms. My apologies if the topic has been discussed extensively.
TaoDao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My Sony T1 works for very basic web browsing and it has pinch zoom. It is better if web site is set up for browsing from phone or tablet. Highlight a word for definition and one of the options in tree that pops up is Wikipedia. My Kobo touch web browser is unusable with latest firmware but was sort of usable with the prior firmware.

Kobo doesn't seem interested in developing a better web browser so it would have to be open source browser per your inquiry.

This topic should be moved to Kobo Developer's Corner.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247

Last edited by filmo; 05-29-2013 at 11:25 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, in all fairness, the browser is an extra. But I wouldn't begrudge that pinch to zoom function if they managed to integrate it across the whole offering, or at least browser and PDF reading. Preferably with a zoom lock option.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Well, in all fairness, the browser is an extra. But I wouldn't begrudge that pinch to zoom function if they managed to integrate it across the whole offering, or at least browser and PDF reading. Preferably with a zoom lock option.
+1
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
EDIT: I don't know if QtWeb runs on an ARM machine... check Arora:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/arora

You can try QtWeb:
http://qtweb.net/

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-30-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
TaoDao

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point

The idea is to have a browser where you can flip through the pages instead of scrolling through them.

Questions:
  1. Do you think that this tweak alone would make browsing on an e-reader viable?
  2. Have you seen it being discussed before? If yes, do you have a link?
  3. Do you think there are any major technical hurdles to modify an existing open source browser and put it on the Kobo?
  4. If you feel up to it, are you motivated to do it?

Thanks for your interest
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Ok, I had not understood what you were asking. Since Arora is based on webkit, I think it can support Google Chrome extensions, and there's one that allow you to turn pages instead of scrolling them:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...igoaecbmbnmfkc

Answers:

1. I hope.
2. Nope.
3. Yes. Reinventing the wheel is more hard
3. Well, no ^^ I'm very busy. I think a3nm could be interested, he's finding a way to read wikipedia offline, on a SD card: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214340

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-30-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
the kobo aura hd is capable of reading html files side-loaded onto the device. and with this method of loading html files, it works like a book where you flip pages. you don't need to scroll down. so the tweak would be to download the web page as a file and open it as if it was a book instead of using the experimental browser? or use the experimental browser to download the page as normal, and the tweak would be to save it as a file, then re-open the file as you would a book?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No offense intended, but don't you see a boundary problem in deciding how/where to automatically divide pages based on a variety of assorted layouts? I simply do not see this as a universally desirable solution say with three columns pages and a two part divide, etc. I suppose one could hope for intelligent code based on intervening white spaces, etc. but that's a lot more complicated than a user controlled zoom level.

The idea of allowing the user to pick the zoom level, lock it and either scroll or then jump to the next section based on the size the user picks makes much more sense to me. I agree the scrolling is a bit silly with e-ink, but depending on page layout and screen size it does offer the most user control.

Personally, I'd rather see someone work on the zoom, zoom lock, and landscape mode. Frankly, I'd like to see landscape as a feature in the regular readers available on Kobos. It would be especially helpful for maximizing text size on single column layout pages without having to scroll horizontally.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
There are web browsers out there that have a "reader mode", which uses heuristics to decide which part of the website is the "main text". Safari has it, Firefox has an addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/reader/) and I'm guessing some other browsers have it.
Once "main text" has been identified, simply showing it (as plaintext) could be the way to go...

I agree it would be a great feature
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
TechniSol

Sorry, it just seems a hopelessly overly complex method to solve a very simple problem. I'll decide what the most important part of a page is to me, thank you.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
TaoDao

I can see that this would be better for some web sites than others. Forums could be a challenge. While some sort of mechanism to determine the main text of a web page could be useful, I could also see a renderer that just zooms a web page to fit the width of the e-reader, then crops so that each element fits on the page. It could be messy for fancier pages with sidebars and such, but I could see it working well for Wikipedia, Google, forums...
We could also start from the mobile version of a web page, if such exists.
I'm also thinking of text based browsers such as Lynx, and algorithms such as Greasemonkey.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
TaoDao

sorry, double post
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
What I want from an e-ink web browser would be:
1. Page up/down buttons or gesture
2. Readability built-in
3. Ads remover

I really like the way Klip.me retry the content of a page, it handles forum posts nicely and doesn't use a middle-server for this task. Too bad there is no public api for this service, just a bookmarklet to use with their service.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

@sysKin: your link is very interesting, but you can simply use the mobile version:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page