Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A proper working <pre> tag should wrap at the right edge. A few implementations do this for devices that can't scroll. It is still useful to provide pseudo tabbing etc.

Dale
But with ADE, it doesn't wrap at the right. It just gets pushed off to the right off the screen both in ADE for Windows and ADE for Sony. So using <pre> with ePub is a bad idea at present. Just use <div> and <br /> for line endings. That works for wrapping lines properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #227
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Fantastico. I'm quite preoccupied with proofing texts for the forthcoming ereads reissues and new editions. I thought I'd be done by now!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #228
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But with ADE, it doesn't wrap at the right. It just gets pushed off to the right off the screen both in ADE for Windows and ADE for Sony. So using <pre> with ePub is a bad idea at present. Just use <div> and <br /> for line endings. That works for wrapping lines properly.
Yea, I understood that from the beginning. I was just remarking that <PRE> in and of itself should be ok if the bug in ADE is fixed. <br /> usage is fine but means every line needs to be edited. which can be a drag.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #229
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yea, I understood that from the beginning. I was just remarking that <PRE> in and of itself should be ok if the bug in ADE is fixed. <br /> usage is fine but means every line needs to be edited. which can be a drag.

Dale
<pre> is meant to not wrap. So when creating ePub, it should never be used.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #230
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
<pre> is meant to not wrap. So when creating ePub, it should never be used.
I wouldn't say "never" but <pre>formatted text is the antithesis of flow layout. <pre> means retain this formatting exactly. It is usually used for charts or source code in programming books.

But, for a standard text book that you want to flow, I agree <pre> is not a good choice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #231
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I wouldn't say "never" but <pre>formatted text is the antithesis of flow layout. <pre> means retain this formatting exactly. It is usually used for charts or source code in programming books.

But, for a standard text book that you want to flow, I agree <pre> is not a good choice.

BOb
The <pre> tag was used by whomever made the ePub edition of Neptune Crossing and if you change the size of the font, it will have sections that will not wrap. So for ePub, <pre> is never a good idea. ADE does not handle lines longer then the screen. So in that case, never is the correct word to use.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #232
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
However it is in the list of required features for ePUB and can be useful if it is implemented correctly, i.e. obey the format but wrap if it the line is longer. Not a bad compromise. You can't just say not to use it as the standard permits it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #233
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
However it is in the list of required features for ePUB and can be useful if it is implemented correctly, i.e. obey the format but wrap if it the line is longer. Not a bad compromise. You can't just say not to use it as the standard permits it.

Dale
Yes, I agree. It was Jon that was saying to "never" use it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The reason to never use the <pre> tag in ePub is that ADE does not wrap a <pre. tag and ADE does not have a scroll bar to scroll. So what you get is the line cut off if the line is lone enough to not fit fully. a <div> tag with <br /> will work and wrap as need be. I know this is a flaw in ADE. But since <pre> does not work well in some cases, it should not be used.