Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #1126
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Fritz Leiber's Swords and Deviltry is $1.99 at Amazon. Swords and Deviltry is the first collection of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories.

Leiber was a pulp master and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser should be more widely known. Unlike their pulp brother, Conan, they were human and had failings. The stories usually had a dash of humor to them.

I will say this first collection starts slow. I remember not caring much for the individual stories The Snow Women or The Unholy Grail. The book really takes off when the characters meet in Ill Met in Lankhmar.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #1127
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acataloger View Post
OTOH, Ray Bradbury's The pedestrian was included in one of my high school English textbooks (early 1960s). I had never heard of him at that time; it was one of the best introductions provided in that course.

Direct link to dramatic reading of Ray Bradbury's short story, "The Pedestrian":
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpDc3ySSbw

Last edited by Froide; 11-17-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #1128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
%
Sadly, when I click on the video, what I see is not very entertaining,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube_error.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	160074  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #1129
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Fritz Leiber's Swords and Deviltry is $1.99 at Amazon. Swords and Deviltry is the first collection of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories.

Leiber was a pulp master and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser should be more widely known. Unlike their pulp brother, Conan, they were human and had failings. The stories usually had a dash of humor to them.

I will say this first collection starts slow. I remember not caring much for the individual stories The Snow Women or The Unholy Grail. The book really takes off when the characters meet in Ill Met in Lankhmar.
These seem to go on sale frequently if you keep a watch on them. I've gotten five of the seven books over the past couple of months.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #1130
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
These seem to go on sale frequently if you keep a watch on them. I've gotten five of the seven books over the past couple of months.
Thanks. I have them on my watchlist.

In paper I have the four book White Wolf Lankhmar collections with the Mike Mignola artwork. I wish that had been licensed for these. His style fits the stories very well (probably because I first became familiar with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser from the Epic miniseries by Mignola and Chaykin.)

Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #1131
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince #1) and Stronghold (Dragon Star #1) by Melanie Rawn are both $2.99 in the US

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/dragon-prince
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/stronghold-11
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #1132
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
%
How's this?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #1133
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
How's this?
Thank you, cromag!
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:48 PM   #1134
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
How's this?
Works. Thanks.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #1135
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Also posted in the kobo deals thread but may interest some here

Kobo currently has 40% of a select list with coupon 40BOX

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/40box

Normally I don't find much from these lists but this time it includes The Diving Series Starter Bundle by Kristine Kathryn Rusch $7.99 (before discount) which includes the first three books in the series (Diving into the Wreck, City of Ruins and Boneyards.) The bundle as it stands alone is already a good deal with the discount well worth buying if you haven't already bought them.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...starter-bundle

A Ghost of a Chance Starter Bundle by Dean Wesley Smith is a similar deal
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-g...starter-bundle
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #1136
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekiwi View Post
Also posted in the kobo deals thread but may interest some here

Kobo currently has 40% of a select list with coupon 40BOX

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/40box

Normally I don't find much from these lists but this time it includes The Diving Series Starter Bundle by Kristine Kathryn Rusch $7.99 (before discount) which includes the first three books in the series (Diving into the Wreck, City of Ruins and Boneyards.) The bundle as it stands alone is already a good deal with the discount well worth buying if you haven't already bought them.

A Ghost of a Chance Starter Bundle by Dean Wesley Smith is a similar deal
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-g...starter-bundle
Book and Discount available in Kobo UK too
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #1137
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekiwi View Post

Just a warning in case anyone else cares - Rusch's Diving Universe books are written in first person, present tense. Drives me bats**t crazy and I just can't tune it out and enjoy the story. I really like her Retrieval Artist series, so I was excited to see something new from her (when the first in the series came out). I couldn't finish it. At that time, it seemed like every other urban fantasy I picked up was written in present tense... I had to be very careful to check samples, even if it was an author I previously loved.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #1138
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
The novella collection Night's Edge, with stories from Charlaine Harris, Maggie Shayne, and Barbara Hambly, is presently $1.49 at Amazon US and Kobo.

I've read this - I don't remember much of the Harris or Shayne stories, but I've read the Hambly story more than once. The Hambly story isn't connected to any of her series to my knowledge. The Harris story may have been in an all-Harris collection mentioned here recently, so check your records if that's your interest.

Quote:
Dancers in the Dark by New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris

Dancer Layla Rue Le May's childhood prepared her to handle just about anything, including her aloof partner, Sean McClendon, a three-hundred-year-old redheaded vampire. Even so, when she somehow acquires a stalker, Layla Rue is surprised to find that Sean is the only one she can trust….

Her Best Enemy by USA TODAY bestselling author Maggie Shayne

Kiley Brigham refuses to believe there's a ghost in her house, but when an unseen hand leaves a bloody message on her bathroom mirror, she's forced to turn to local psychic Jack McCain. As the two work to uncover a long-buried secret, Kiley finds that she's haunted not by spirits, but by thoughts of Jack….

Someone Else's Shadow by Locus Award–winning author Barbara Hambly

Maddie Laveau worries about her young roommate, Tessa, when she stays late to practice ballet in the old Glendower Building…and when Tessa goes missing, Maddie enlists mysterious tenant Phil Anderson to help. But is Phil the white knight she needs, or the predator she fears?

Last edited by elaysee; 11-18-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: fixed URL
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #1139
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Arthur C. Clarke's legendary Rendezvous with Rama is $1.99 at Amazon.

An enormous cylindrical object appears in Earth's solar system, hurtling toward the sun. A ship is sent to explore the mysterious craft-which the denizens of the solar system name Rama-and what they find is intriguing evidence of a civilization far more advanced than ours.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #1140
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's a GREAT bargain for only $1.99, from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/World-Tiers-O...f+tiers+kindle

The World of Tiers (Volume 1) - Philip Jose Farmer

Volume 2, unfortunately, has not yet been lowered in price.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote