Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #2176
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My first reaction to SouthernSun's post was to ignore her because she was trolling. But being the curious person that I am, I found and read her other posts since her recent arrival on MobileReads. There was no trolling going on in any of these posts. Then eschwartz posted his snarky reply to SouthernSun and I decided that I needed to comment. I'll counter with this:

All fourteen of the Dresden Files novels that I've read have been quite able to stand on their own without any real need to lean on any previous novel. However, since there is an overall story arc to the series reading a single novel does necessarily mean that there are nuances that a reader misses out on. In my opinion this doesn't detract from the readibility of the individual novel.

My thoughts as concerning SouthernSun's question are:

Sure, you could do that, but only you can decide if it's worth the effort to do so. If it were me, I'd simply give up on the series in question as I read for my personal enjoyment and if I'm not enjoying what I'm reading I would simply stop reading it and try reading something else. After all there's a whole lot of material to choose from.

Enjoy!

I personally can't stand the thought of having big gaps in the story arc -- even though they "can" be read standalone, the hints at stuff that I'm missing would drive me crazy. If I really can't handle the first few, maybe I shouldn't be reading any of them.

Maybe it's just me. After all, I researched the chronological order of several series published out of order before reading them -- in a somewhat pedantic fashion. (love that word!) Clearly I am just a purist when it comes to chronological series integrity, so feel free to ignore me if that's just not your style.

On the other hand,

You have been . . . . WARNED!!

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-17-2013 at 12:17 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #2177
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I agree with Alansplace and CWatkinsNash, that if you don't enjoy them don't read them. I found the first books okay and the 3rd downright annoying. But I had been given an omnibus a bit later on in the series so I carried on at a snails pace of about a book every two months. And they did get better IMO.

I see nothing wrong with jumping ahead, although I like to read things in order where possible. Before ebooks it wasn't always possible, especially when borrowing from the library a lot, and we all survived.

I started the Dresden files because I really liked the short stories I read, and AFAIK they were well along in the series and reading them first ruined nothing for me. So you should just do as you please, I know I would.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #2178
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim’s SDCC Schedule

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Jul 17, 2013 - Jim’s SDCC Schedule

We announced Jim’s schedule for San Diego Comic Con a few weeks ago, but here’s a reminder, with a couple tweaks!

San Diego Comic Con 2013
San Diego, CA
July 17-21

Thursday, July 18:

4-5pm: Individual Signing in the Autograph Area, Table AA07

Saturday, July 20:

10-11am: Urban Fantasy: Myth and Magic in the City, Room 7AB

Quote:
Paris, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Tucson, and cities of our own imagination come to life when tales of myth and magic are blended with the urban landscape. These stories are collectively known as Urban Fantasy, and many of today’s popular authors are adding their otherworldly ingredients to the melting pots of modern (and not-so-modern) society. Join the panelists as they discuss the art of writing Urban Fantasy.

Panelists: Jim Butcher (Cold Days), Max Gladstone (Three Parts Dead), Kevin Hearne (The Iron Druid Chronicles), Richard Kadrey (Kill City Blues), Marlene Perez (Strange Fates), Liesel Schwarz (A Conspiracy of Alchemists). Moderator: Diana Gill, Executive Editor, Harper Voyager US
11:30 AM—12:30 PM: Group Autographing Session in the Autograph Area, Table AA09.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-18-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #2179
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Skin Game release date:
138 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
29 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #2180
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Dresden Moment #4 - "Friendly"

Jul 10, 2013

A clip of a Harry Dresden and Murphy from The Dresden Files Fan Filming.

Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #2181
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Unfortunately, she just didn't like the first half of the first book.
Personally, if you are going to have someone jump into the Dresden series cold, I would maybe start them out with the second book, Fool Moon.

I always felt that Storm Front was really a throw-away that Jim was using to just work out his ideas and style to see how things go. Fool Moon was basically just a re-hash of the same inter-character relations with a better story line. (Drug-dealing warlock or marauding werewolves; who wouldn't enjoy the latter?)

In fact until some recent occurrences in the series that focused attention back to the side characters and the situation in the first book, it could be easily read out-of-place as a catch-up between other books once you're really into the series.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #2182
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
One of my all time favorites ever was from "Cold Days". As soon as I read it, I thought, yup, not only is that Harry, but man, it applies to EVERYTHING!

"The only good thing about having your back to the wall is that it makes it really easy to choose which way you’re going to go."
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #2183
MsLydgate
MsLydgate began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
[cut the long list of Dresden Files quotes]

I don't understand. Where's "Polka will never die"?
MsLydgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #2184
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Furies of Calderon and Pokemon

Quote:

Jul 18, 2008

Hey I was in the pokemon mood today and also the book is Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, check it out!!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #2185
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Favorite Dresden Files Quotes

Quote:
"We are not going to die."

Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"

"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”
—Jim Butcher, Dead Beat
One that I like a lot!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-20-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #2186
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files Quotes

Quote:
Mickey Mouse woke me up, my alarm jangling noisily. I wanted to smack the clock for waking me up, but I reigned in the impulse. I'm not against a little creative violence, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I wouldn't sleep in the same room with a person who would smack Mickey Mouse. - Death Masks
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #2187
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Eagerly awaiting Skin Games. I was floored by Cold Days, and jusr how much it kept piling on to Harry's already messed up day.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #2188
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
Eagerly awaiting Skin Games. I was floored by Cold Days, and jusr how much it kept piling on to Harry's already messed up day.
Welcome to The Dresden Files Thread, Dhevi! Yeah, you're one of quite a few of us who really liked Cold Days and are also anxiously awaiting the release of Skin Game.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #2189
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I'm really hoping for is either to see more Sanya (if only to hear Marsters in the audiobooks "Tiny... but fierce." lol , Ebenezer McCoy, McAnnaly (obviously), and backstory for Harry's mother. So much that I am dying to have more of.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #2190
Dhevi
Zealot

Question for all the Dresdenites: What was your LEAST favorite entry in the series?

I have to go with White Knight. I can't quite pin down why, at least not just yet. I may have to re-read it, but I couldn't bring myself to care much for the story and felt detached from it.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy