Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
good writing app for the Max Carta?

I have a BT keyboard for my Max carta. It pairs, and the ereader accepts input (the escape key works) but the Onyx note-taking app won't accept input from the keyboard.

Does anyone know a good app I could use?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have a BT keyboard for my Max carta. It pairs, and the ereader accepts input (the escape key works) but the Onyx note-taking app won't accept input from the keyboard.

Does anyone know a good app I could use?
WPS Office version 10.4.3 works well enough for me. Found it on a link with some information that mdp had posted in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Anyway, I found a site - "apkhere" - in which the whole historical collection is kept. As written, I almost exclusively worked with Kingsoft Office (cn.wps.moffice_eng.apk) 5.7 and 5.12 .
The site below hosts from 5.1.2 (Nov 2012) up to version 10.4.3, published two days ago (Aug 18). They graciously host the historical value of 67 versions. I will use a few of them to further assess the sluggishness problem on the MaxCarta with the latest firmware.

www.apkhere.com/app/cn.wps.moffice_eng
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks!

trying it now
Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

well that was a waste of time

this device is just too slow to of any use
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Which one (version) did you use, Nate? Which firmware?
As you may know from the other thread, "version B with firmware 4" (etc.) may not work well. Delay is in some cases hardware bound but acceptable, in other cases in the "there's a problem there" order of 10 seconds.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
I use Jota Text Editor, I've found it fine.

Its page on Google Play is contradictory about whether it has ads or not. I haven't seen any.

There is a more up to date version called Jota+, which I haven't used. It has ads and in-app purchases.
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #7
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
http://www.softxperience.mobi/85-1-Download.html

NoteEverything is another app I intend to try. People on here have used it on Sony Prs-t1. You can have text or drawing notes
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Which one (version) did you use, Nate? Which firmware?
As you may know from the other thread, "version B with firmware 4" (etc.) may not work well. Delay is in some cases hardware bound but acceptable, in other cases in the "there's a problem there" order of 10 seconds.
it's the one on a single core CPU without a touchscreen (a stylus doesn't count)

the firmware is 2017-04-28_18-25 ...

If there is better one, I will try it
Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry about that. Works well enough for me, but then I'm not the world's fastest typist.

If you find something better, please post it here. The more options, the better.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Sorry about that. Works well enough for me, but then I'm not the world's fastest typist.

If you find something better, please post it here. The more options, the better.
my problem isn't with typing

this thing is slow to load ebooks, slow to respond in the menus, and slow to open apps

and I often have to bang the screen several times before it responds to the stylus
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it's the one on a single core CPU without a touchscreen (a stylus doesn't count)

the firmware is 2017-04-28_18-25 ...

If there is better one, I will try it
Sorry, I meant which version of Kingsoft/WPS
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

Quote:

this thing is slow to load ebooks, slow to respond in the menus, and slow to open apps

and I often have to bang the screen several times before it responds to the stylus
For that stylus responsiveness imperfection, I give a very short swipe instead of a tap - it works much better.

<<Slow to load ebooks>>: I see that Librera takes its time upon load, but page change is surprisingly fast (beacause of pre-render)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Sorry, I meant which version of Kingsoft/WPS
ah, okay

I'm using the version mentioned above
Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
ah, okay

I'm using the version mentioned above
I mentioned two above... The latest WPS worked fast enough; I had a problem with the fact that the zoom is missing. I raised a ticket, never got a reply, I do not know if they fixed it.

To check the version, in the one installed on my phone it's
toolbar > more > about
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:

Hmmm, I wonder if there are big differences in the software between the Max and the Max Carta. I had always assumed that they were more or less the same. But maybe that isn't so.

My Max performs most functions at a reasonable speed. Apart from huge PDF files, it usually only takes about 2-3 seconds to open a book. And then page turns are pretty quick. I only have a few apps installed, but they tend to open fairly promptly as well. Menus within the native apps tend to respond quickly. Menus within downloaded apps can be a bit slower. Depends on the app.

Where I've found the Max to be a bit slow is when it comes to installing some apps. That can take a bit of time and does not always seem to work the first time.

Occasionally, the Max will not recognize a tap, but I've never had to bang on the screen. Usually just another tap, adjusting the angle or the length of time I allow the stylus to touch the screen is sufficient.

There are, of course, some glitches with the software. For example, when using the stylus to take hand notes or drawing in the native note taking app, the eraser on the end of the stylus works fine most of the time. However, if I use the little eraser icon to erase strokes with the tip of the stylus, when I switch back to writing, it will start drawing circles. I have to actually go back into the object menu to select the line option again. A bit of a nuisance, but not a major headache once you are aware of the glitch and how to sidestep it.

So, if your device is running very slowly and failing to register taps on a consistent basis, I wonder if this is a Max Carta thing or if you got a faulty device.