Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2023, 11:16 AM   #16
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Do you have a mobile & SMS?
I read somewhere that to re-register some older models they send an SMS, so need your mobile number added to the account.

I've been able to register "out of support" old models. Not supported just means no updates and maybe no shopping via the ereader.
How does a person know that he/she may have possibly hit the DRM jackpot with Kindle Readers (not Fire)? On your browser, go to Manage Your Content and Devices -> Devices, click into the device of interest and hope you find this note:

Software security updates : No longer guaranteed.

This past December, I just registered a second hand Kindle Paperwhite (actual mfg name) that was running software version 5.6.1.1. This is one of the blessed Kindles.

I find the model designations of Kindle readers to be somewhat inconsistent. For example, there are street names like DX, DXG, and DX2. I know I have a DX in Graphite color, but the Settings/Device page only lists the model as DX.

Is the OP's Kindle one of the desirable old models which permit DeDRM'ed file sideloads?
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
This past December, I just registered a second hand Kindle Paperwhite (actual mfg name) that was running software version 5.6.1.1. This is one of the blessed Kindles.

I find the model designations of Kindle readers to be somewhat inconsistent. For example, there are street names like DX, DXG, and DX2. I know I have a DX in Graphite color, but the Settings/Device page only lists the model as DX.
The actual mfg name Kindle Paperwhite has been used for 5 different models with different hardware. Hence the nicknames PW1, PW2, etc.

Use the serial number to determine a specific model:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:44 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
How does a person know that he/she may have possibly hit the DRM jackpot with Kindle Readers (not Fire)? On your browser, go to Manage Your Content and Devices -> Devices, click into the device of interest and hope you find this note:

Software security updates : No longer guaranteed.
Keep in mind that no longer guaranteed to receive updates isn't the same as guaranteed to not receive updates.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:21 PM   #19
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Use the serial number to determine a specific model:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Thanks for the link on how to decode the actual model number from the S/N. (Note: Kindle Scribe Gen 1 G092 needs to be added). Can someone add a column to show which models are no longer receiving updates of any kind (including those related to DRM). My B003, B009, and B024 are in that category. What is the prefix of the OP's S/N? If re-registration is a dicey proposition, it would be useful to know this before buying an old Kindle on ebay.

One important feature of any of the older models is whether it can receive a book download through home (or public access) wireless. The B024 allows you to access the raw file in the reader's SD card. (Yes, this can be decrypted once it is copied to your PC.) The other two models can only use USB side loading, which would pose a problem in the future, when Amazon disables downloading to a PC through their website.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #20
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books

With regard to the registration problem noted by the OP, I found this writeup on ebay:

Quote:
NOTE: This device will not be able to browse or purchase Kindle books directly from the Amazon Kindle store. All Kindle books must be browsed and purchased by using another device, such as a newer Kindle (generation 6 and up), a tablet, a computer, or a smartphone. Kindle Books can be delivered directly to this device once purchased on another device or downloaded from the Amazon cloud once purchased. Books also can be downloaded (or copied from another Kindle) to a computer and then transferred to this device via a USB cable.

This change does not affect registration. This is an Amazon legacy device, and I will include instructions for registering. Be advised this Kindle device will fail registration on the first attempt. This is NORMAL. DO NOT BE ALARMED.
Thus, someone has figured out a workaround for unsuccessful registration. Based on a public thread on Amazon's forums, it may have to do with a firmware update.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...er-my-kindle-3
Old 01-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #21
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
is there more than one kindle 3?? I ask as we registered a k3keyboard and K4nt without issues in the past two weeks and other than accessing store on device everything works as it should.
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The other two models can only use USB side loading, which would pose a problem in the future, when Amazon disables downloading to a PC through their website.
If.
There is no indication that they would do such a stupid thing.
Though it's possible.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:04 PM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If.
There is no indication that they would do such a stupid thing.
Though it's possible.
I see indications that they plan to do it incrementally rather than all at once. They have already started. First it was book samples. Now they have started disabling downloads for Kindle Unlimited borrows. I doubt that it will stop there.

Perhaps they will do what they did for older versions of Kindle for PC and block downloads for books published after a specific date. That was clearly done to force customers off of those older apps rather than for technical reasons.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:11 PM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I see indications that they plan to do it incrementally rather than all at once. They have already started. First it was book samples. Now they have started disabling downloads for Kindle Unlimited borrows. I doubt that it will stop there.

Perhaps they will do what they did for older versions of Kindle for PC and block downloads for books published after a specific date. That was clearly done to force customers off of those older apps rather than for technical reasons.
Wouldn't step 0 be screwing up download as part of purchase, forcing going to Contents & Devices after purchase?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:00 AM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Perhaps they will do what they did for older versions of Kindle for PC and block downloads for books published after a specific date.
The version of K4PC that only downloaded a single file (1.17) no longer works for me at all.
And it's not about the release date.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:05 AM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The version of K4PC that only downloaded a single file (1.17) no longer works for me at all.
And it's not about the release date.
It has worked for me this morning, two books published in 2022.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:20 PM   #27
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly68za View Post
Greetings

I have Kindle 3, the other night I had to factory reset it for a screen problem, the reset worked and back to normal.

I have tried every possible suggestion out there and even tech support tried, I can no longer log back in onto the device. Any body have better luck than me?

At this stage of the game, I am not able to afford a new Kindle.
I received 2 Kindle 3's and did not run into the same problem as you. However, both devices were running version 3.4.3. You can check this by going to your settings page and noting that the serial number starts with B006, and identifying your firmware level by looking at the bottom right of your screen. Since the reset may have restored the firmware to the original oem version, you will need to download and successively install the newer versions. Amazon lists these on this page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...3VVAQS4DYDE5KE

There are numerous youtube videos on updating Kindle 3's.

Once you are up to 3.4.3, set up your wireless connection. Then register your device using you email account and Amazon password. This will stumble the first time. Follow these instructions, which I got from one seller.

Quote:
Amazon has changed the registration process for Kindle legacy devices.
When you go to register your Kindle device, you may receive an error message. This is now the new normal. Don't be alarmed.

Check your email or text messages for a code (6 characters known as Amazon OTP). This code is valid for the next 10 minutes and is used to register your device.

If your Amazon account uses 2SV (2-step verification) you will append this code to your password on your second registration attempt.

If your Amazon account does not use 2SV (2-step verification) you will enter this code alone in the password field on your next registration attempt.

Note: Make sure your Primary mobile number is up-to-date in Account -> Login & Security. Also, know the status of 2SV for your account.
All of your purchased books should then show up in the Archive Items folder, which should appear on the Home page. Surprisingly, this folder contains links to your purchased books, as well as your borrowed KU books.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #28
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
A few days ago, I registered a new-to-me K3 to my account. But at first it said my email or password was wrong. Then a text arrived on my cell phone, and I had to put the 6-digit number into the kindle INSTEAD OF the password (some people mentioned adding it to their password). I have dual authentication turned off on my Amazon account, but it still does this.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote