Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #61
han_32
han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me one of the most prized features of a Kobo is customizability. I'm very fussy about how I want the text to look, and Kobo allows extreme fine-tuning of font-sizes, line-spacing, margins and font-weight. Kindles don't offer that much, even with the FONT_RAMP hack and editing the book css. For this reason and for the ability to manage my books with Calibre I strongly prefer Kobos to Kindles, at least as things stand now.
Thye might still. I think kobo did a lot of text things like justification earlier than the kindle, the kindle might be following on that. But it is all such a mix bag, now kobo allows pinch to change font size, and I really love that, but the kobo seems to not have it fine tuned yet, it is too responsive. Amazon might copy those extra features.

But one thing that is really really wrong in kindle reading experience compared to kobo is the no zoom on images. Maps, diagrams, it's terrible. I am sure they have to improve on that, lots of complaints regarding some particular best selling books.

My hunch might be about about a bigger screen on a newer oasis. Kobo has several larger screens, which are fantastic for manga, it would be a selling point, and while the oasis is perfectly sized for my hands and pockets and handbags, men might find a bigger screen more comfortable. And it would be a great selling point for manga, the difference between a 7 and 8 inch screen is noticeable.
han_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by han_32 View Post

But one thing that is really really wrong in kindle reading experience compared to kobo is the no zoom on images. Maps, diagrams, it's terrible. I am sure they have to improve on that, lots of complaints regarding some particular best selling books.
There is zoom when you use kepub instead of epub.

Edit: Ah, did you mean on Kindles? But there has always been image zoom on Kindles. What do you mean there isn't?

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-27-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #63
han_32
han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.han_32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
There is zoom when you use kepub instead of epub.

Edit: Ah, did you mean on Kindles? But there has always been image zoom on Kindles. What do you mean there isn't?

I had never noticed it, lol. I googled it, and ah, long press, so that is the trick. But it is better and more navigable on kobo particularly with the rotate horizontally.
han_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There was already 32 G option on gen 9 Oasis.
Yes. But the default is 8 and on the Basic it is 16. That can't stand. There's already a 16GB Paperwhite rerelease due.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #65
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
How do you read the newspaper on the oasis, and is this not possible on the Libra 2?
I think this link shows the answer better than I could explain it. There is no such corresponding newsstand store for the Kobo.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=&ref=nb_s...%3D16015314011
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #66
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There comes a point were maybe all you can do is add maybe home, back, forward, menu buttons, bigger battery. Or maybe bring back real 3.5mm jack and SD Card slot, real mp3 player & FM radio that works while reading or bigger screen. In terms of actual reading the screens reflectance without front light haven't improved significantly in years.
In my opinion the one single best thing Amazon should do to revamp the Oasis line would be to make the screen on par with that of the Voyage. Overall I prefer reading on my Oasis due to the form factor and the physical buttons, but I really miss the contrast and clarity of the Voyage screen, especially under natural light.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #67
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like buttons myself. But really, are buttons and a metal chassis worth $110? Especially when there will likely be a newer Oasis released soon?
And you can get basically the same form factor in the Kobo Libra 2 if you really must have buttons for less as well. The current Kindle Oasis is a weird overpriced product.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
And you can get basically the same form factor in the Kobo Libra 2 if you really must have buttons for less as well. The current Kindle Oasis is a weird overpriced product.
The Oasis is not just about buttons. It's about positioning it as a 'luxury' device in a market that would otherwise lack such a device. Kobo does not product a 'luxury' eReader, and nobody else does, either.

It probably is rather more expensive to produce, and doesn't sell the units that might allow for economies of scale. It's never discounted, again reinforcing the positioning Amazon wants to project ('the best').

Apparently in addition to Kindle customers who are button-lovers, there are people who are not price-sensitive and just want to get/give 'the best', because there have been 3 iterations of the Oasis. The Voyage had a different fate.

But the eReader market is changing, it remains to be seen if Amazon thinks it can be successful with Oasis 4. No doubt there is a prototype, but I would not expect it to roll out until next year: they would rather sell the newest Kindle and Paperwhite during this holiday season.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #69
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Apparently in addition to Kindle customers who are button-lovers, there are people who are not price-sensitive and just want to get/give 'the best', because there have been 3 iterations of the Oasis. The Voyage had a different fate.
While I was looking up ereader reviews before I bought one, I've seen quite a lot bought an Oasis because it was 'top of the line.' This is also true for other things. I used to work for an electronics company, and there are people who would just buy the most expensive thing.

Either Amazon would have to introduce some really cool feature on the new Oasis, or they're just gonna keep it as a status symbol. I think we're getting near the threshold of what ereaders are without going into the Onyx note taking territory. There's only so much they add and the paperwhite/new basic already got those.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

It probably is rather more expensive to produce, and doesn't sell the units that might allow for economies of scale. It's never discounted, again reinforcing the positioning Amazon wants to project ('the best').

I belive it does get discounted, as early as 8/28 in the UK and Prime Day in the U.S.?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #71
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I belive it does get discounted, as early as 8/28 in the UK and Prime Day in the U.S.?
In Germany it gets discounted at least 3-4 times a year.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:59 PM   #72
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I've never seen, but maybe wasn't paying attention.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #73
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Oasis is on sale now for $179.99. You can get the 32G model for $199.99. I'm not sure how long the sale will last.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #74
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
I'll be interested in a new Oasis only if it's 8''. If it's still the old 7'', I won't bother. I'm not a fan of the Kindle software anyway.
+1, on the size part. I want a larger screen. I just get the books, almost always free, and read them, sometimes highlighting when I find errors. Otherwise I don't use anything in the software and don't know enough to worry about it. I'd like to add a few things, like sort by book size, if I could make a wishlist for Amz to follow. Anyway, it they bring out an 8" Oasis at enough lower price they've got a sale. Otherwise I'll buy the Scribe.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #75
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
The only bad thing is that Amazon's case quality won't improve.

The fabric water safe case for my Oasis is really really bad, and it sometimes struggles to hold my Oasis in if I accidentally drop it.
Fintie easel stand case. The only way to fly. I can't find the plain black but here's the 'starry sky'. It shows how it works. WAY better than origami cases that don't sit perfectly straight and level when opened.

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle...st_sto_dp&th=1
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote