Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 10:34 PM   #2866
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I have found that restoring the files is not a full solution. It might work a few times, but the database corruption seems to be subtle and cumulative and so eventually enough errors creep in that all the backups are corrupt.

As to signing out and back in -- I find it is faster to just delete the databases. Then you only have to sign back in and reload your screensavers, side loaded dictionaries, and config file, not all the side loaded books. (But you do have to wait for it to scan them, and it might take several passes.)

And with a little foresight, you can move the dictionaries and screen savers aside so you don't have to reload those either, just rename them back.

Also, it might be my imagination, but it seems like over time the kobo gets slower and slower, and compressing the database doesn't completely restore the speed. But rebuilding a fresh database does.
Sign out/sign in does not remove sideloaded content. You are thinking of a factory reset (either of the three possibilities).
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:14 AM   #2867
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sign out/sign in does not remove sideloaded content. You are thinking of a factory reset (either of the three possibilities).
It will re-import all the sideloaded contents and wipe out the reading positions, though.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2024, 06:19 AM   #2868
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have found that restoring the files is not a full solution. It might work a few times, but the database corruption seems to be subtle and cumulative and so eventually enough errors creep in that all the backups are corrupt.
Kobo Utilities checks the database before it does a backup so you cannot have a corrupt backup.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:39 AM   #2869
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm not really sure that the database 'gradually' corrupting makes much sense. Either it passes an integrity check or it doesn't.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:13 AM   #2870
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo Utilities checks the database before it does a backup so you cannot have a corrupt backup.
There are *two* databases. One is encrypted, so calibre can't check it.

And also, I've found that the database check doesn't catch all the corruption.
I think some of the corruption leaves the database structure intact but scrambles the data itself.

I've wondered if it could check for the wal and shm files for both databases and abort if either exists. Or maybe it does already and that's not enough? Idunno.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2024, 07:49 AM   #2871
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are *two* databases. One is encrypted, so calibre can't check it.

And also, I've found that the database check doesn't catch all the corruption.
I think some of the corruption leaves the database structure intact but scrambles the data itself.

I've wondered if it could check for the wal and shm files for both databases and abort if either exists. Or maybe it does already and that's not enough? Idunno.
Maybe it's doable with NickelMenu.

Does anyone know how to check for the existence of a given file using wildcards in Linux?
Old 03-16-2024, 10:15 AM   #2872
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Does anyone know how to check for the existence of a given file using wildcards in Linux?
Even if they don't Linux test file exist search. The first two results may have the answer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:09 AM   #2873
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Even if they don't Linux test file exist search. The first two results may have the answer.
Before trying it, what is the path to the possibly open files
Old 03-16-2024, 01:38 PM   #2874
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Before trying it, what is the path to the possibly open files
In linux wildcard notation, .kobo/{BookReader,KoboReader}.sqlite{,-shm,-wal}

I think I've tried it with nicklemenu, and it doesn't help, because these files are always open when the GUI is available.

You'd have to check after USB is initiated, but before calibre's kobo driver opens the database.

Last edited by compurandom; 03-16-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:42 PM   #2875
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In linux wildcard notation, .kobo/{BookReader,KoboReader}.sqlite{,-shm,-wal}

I think I've tried it with nicklemenu, and it doesn't help, because these files are always open when the GUI is available.

You'd have to check after USB is initiated, but before calibre's kobo driver opens the database.
Those files should not be there when you are at the home screen.

As for the path, we would need to know the internal path and not the path as seen when the Kobo is connect to a computer.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:06 PM   #2876
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It will re-import all the sideloaded contents and wipe out the reading positions, though.
Looking back at @compurandom's post, I still find it hard to read:
Quote:
Then you only have to sign back in and reload your screensavers, side loaded dictionaries, and config file, not all the side loaded books
as meaning that on a sign out/sign in, you would have to reload all your side loaded books. To me this is an error and what I was referring to when I stated "Sign out/sign in does not remove sideloaded content".
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:40 AM   #2877
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Looking back at @compurandom's post, I still find it hard to read:

as meaning that on a sign out/sign in, you would have to reload all your side loaded books. To me this is an error and what I was referring to when I stated "Sign out/sign in does not remove sideloaded content".
I may be confusing logging out with factory reset. But I seem to recall that just deleting the databases is faster than both. Possibly there's not a difference. I hope you understand my reluctance to test.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:13 PM   #2878
robinp
robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
What I would recommend is to go to Patrick Gaskin's Kobo Firmware Downloads, download the latest firmware for the Aura HD (basically a Kobo4 device). Once you have downloaded the .zip file, connect your Aura HD to your computer, open the .zip file and copy the contents (the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files) to the .kobo directory on your Aura HD. Since you are not using Windows, you will need to make the .kobo directory visible. On a Mac, pressing command+shift+. or on Linux, pressing ctrl-H should do this though I haven't tried this in a while so you may need to do some research..
This worked as predicted, I appreciate the advice. And yes, Ctrl-H is the correct sequence for hidden files, at least in Gnome nemo/nautilus.
robinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:50 PM   #2879
robinp
robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD
I recall from a previous Kobo device some years back, that it was possible to remove tiles from the home screen. I can't see the functionality in this plugin anymore, and searching on the web suggests it might no tbe possible with the more recent firmware (I'm now using v4.38). Is this correct? I've tried the Kobo main and extended driver, but can't see any options to dismiss or add tiles.
robinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:05 PM   #2880
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinp View Post
I recall from a previous Kobo device some years back, that it was possible to remove tiles from the home screen. I can't see the functionality in this plugin anymore, and searching on the web suggests it might no tbe possible with the more recent firmware (I'm now using v4.38). Is this correct? I've tried the Kobo main and extended driver, but can't see any options to dismiss or add tiles.
The tiles no longer exist on modern firmwares:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As you list your device as a Libra H2O, you cannot ever have seen the tiles that these function are for. This was for firmware before version 4.4.0 which had a completely different home screen. On that, the tiles changed and were not in the fixed positions that the current home screen has. These tiles could be dismissed. The function in the plugin could set tiles not to be shown. But, it does not work with the current home screen.

The only way to remove the tiles on the current home screen is with patches. If you patch the firmware, it has to be done each time the firmware is updated.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities